Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
07-09-2012, 08:20 PM
lol @ op suggestions.

what you see on the shows/movies doesn't necessarily mean they'll translate into good gameplay.

imo, i feel that the devs have captured the balance between "trek-ness" and solid gameplay.
Captain
# 22
07-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiouvegeta2 View Post
Sooooo, you want to have the devs stop what they are doing with seasons 6 and 7, completely overhaul the entire space combat system, edit every weapon, every ship, and not to mention remove aspects of the system that people use to get places quickly on a system map. i have to say, there is a better chance of you being assimilated by RL borg than this ever happening.

oh and imagine an odyssey or dreadnaught flying at full speed with your proposed changes. Their turn rate is already that of lunar orbit....
Most of what the OP proposes is pure numbers, which can be changed around in a spreadsheet, usually "en masse". The Full Impulse suggestion I both agree/disagree with, in the sense that NOT having the ability will make it alot slower to complete random PVE missions. Can't allow "in-system warp" since there's no warping while in a solarsystem.

The Mk I-XII suggestion, should be reduced in half imho. Nobody really gears their ships in Mk I, Mk III, Mk V, Mk VII or Mk IX gear. Everyone tends to go for the better even-numbered equipment. A better suggestion, may be to remove all gear between Mk I and Mk X, and simply make the weapons/gear "scale with level". Gear you obtain via mission rewards may still be superior to your scaled item, but again, would scale as you level up.

I agree wholeheartedly on the suggestions to "half all damage" in the game and "increase shield regeneration". Sure it's nice to crit for 20k+ on a Beam Overload, but it's not really Trek. Trek battles tend to be rather lengthy as long as shields are in place, whereby most battles end in either a surrender or retreat. Neither of which is possible in STO.
Ensign
# 23
07-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
Trek battles tend to be rather lengthy as long as shields are in place, whereby most battles end in either a surrender or retreat. Neither of which is possible in STO.
Trek battles don't tend to have much in the way of active healing powers, very much unlike STO
Career Officer
# 24
07-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Most of OP's suggestions sound... really slow and dull.
Empire Veteran
# 25
07-09-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm well aware of how Trek-like these changes would be... there's just one issue: this is a game, not the show. I'm not saying they couldn't be added in a way (possibly as an addition like Shooter mode, able to switch between the two), but games like MMO's need instant heals... even if the show never did those.

But there's one Trek change they could do... is that with the more damage enemies do to you, the better chance that systems will fail (read: unusable). So if you don't use Hazard Emitters before, you might lose it when you really need it...

They could still keep the repair-on-the-spot aspect though (going back all the time for repairs would be boring), just extend it to systems instead of just the hull.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-10-2012, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
Again, the point is the instant heal > higher heal amount over time+resists and whatever combo you can think of to use with it.

The fact that in an elite stf or in pvp your shields can go from nearly full to completely gone in one hit. When that happens (which is too common) the only thing that will save your bacon is having hitpoints IN the shield to buffer the next hit. Shield regen does not provide that.. your ship will explode before the shield regen (even with max shield power setting + TSS3) does anything.

The weapons in the game and the boff abilities do too much damage and heal too much with the instant abilities...making the 'regen' type heals irrelevant. And we come back to the arcade-type combat that is present now vs the tactical combat that existed pre-f2p.
Sorry but you have nearly 0 idea how to play this game if you say that because EPS, TSS are the more used shield skills at all and usually you dont use them when you lose all your shield you are runing them even before to get those resistance in the work, and i understand perfectly why you say ''The fact that in an elite stf or in pvp your shields can go from nearly full to completely gone'' only hapens when you use sci team and dont back up with shield resistence , that fact is a fact for you, never hapens to me unless i run out of powers to use.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=88638226000&dateline=  1340395851
Captain
# 27
07-10-2012, 07:53 AM
How, exactly, will this change the game to be more 'Trek-like?'

For any of the cruiser based shows, we never really saw actual combat. We saw the cruiser crippled in some fashion, and much of the 'battle' consisting of the cruiser trying RP/technobabbling a solution.

For DS9, we did see DPS-centric fast paced battles. The Defiant seemed to spend large portions of battles with the shields down or barely up, relying on its armor.

I am not sure what the speed of ships has to do with anything either, since that is completely arbirtary, and there are plenty of examples of the Enterprise, Voyager, the Defiant, whatever going from zero to strategic warp instantly. They certainly could go to warp in system, or else the whole 'slingshot time travel' technique would have been completely impossible.

In short, I don't think these changes would make this game any more 'Trek.'
Rihannsu
# 28
07-10-2012, 03:17 PM
"Interesting" ideas, but...

Part of the draw, enticement or excitement of STO's space combat system is that it is NOT a simulation of a starship space battle as represented on TV and in the movies.

The balance that the Cryptic devs have struck with their design and representation of space combat hits that "sweet spot" of enjoyment for me. Space combat is the MAJOR draw for me to STO.

While I can understand the "want" or "need" some people have for more "trek-ness" in STO, I really don't want it to be any more trek-like.

For instance, how often in any of the ST series or movies did you see 5 ships come together that would then beam down the 5 captains to do an away mission? That's not trek-like, but it is a part of the STO MMORPG.

How often did you see ANY other Federation fleet mentioned outside of Starfleet? There were no 1st, 3rd, 512th, TopSecretSquirrelTemporalPlacementAgency, etc fleets ever mentioned in ST that my limited 47 years of memory with ST can remember. Maybe Nova Squadron at the Academy? Whenever "fleet" was mentioned, they were referring to Starfleet and not John Q. Public's Uber-Elitest-Top-Dawg-PvP fleet.

Oh, and in ST, there were no re-spawns (except Spock) or do-overs.
Commander
# 29
07-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Funny you should try to justify this as being more like the show. I happen to remember one of the great episodes of TNG, "The Defector", where a Galaxy is ambushed by two D'deridexes. They knock it around pretty good for a few seconds, plinking at the shields with disruptors, but the captain orders no return fire; if they were serious, he says, "we wouldn't be here talking about it."

In other words and IMO, clearly established in dialogue that a couple of Rom cruisers are capable of obliterating a Galaxy (the pride of Starfleet, at that point) in 30 seconds or less with a combined alpha strike.
Career Officer
# 30
07-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Dude, you are insane. This is a VIDEO GAME more importantly its an MMO. It a social game, and some people have lives to lead... Lives that would be pretty hard to lead if it took you hours to do a single mission. I understand that the game isn't all that "trek" like As someone who's seen every episode and movie I get it. I mean I transphasic torpedos should one shot a borg cube, the defiant class ship should be able to to barrel rolls but they don't and likely never will. If there weren't instant heals and effects it would be a disaster while grouping. My advice is be happy that the ships looks cool, and that generally the story's a very inline with the cannon universe. And if you a REAL Trekie/Treker/whathaveyou then good story should be your only real concern.