Lieutenant
A few questions:

I am an engineer in a Vo'Quv. I'm using six beam arrays (Disruptor). My current BOFF layout is as follows:

Lt. Comm. Tac: Beam FAW I, Beam Overload II, Target Subsystems Shields III

Lt. Comm Eng: EPS I, EPW II, Reverse Shield Polarity II

Lt. Sci: Science Team I, Polarize Hull II

Comm. Sci: Transfer Shield Strength I, Hazard Emitters II, Grav Well I, Viral Matrix III

My plan was to use Target Subsystem Shields III to knock out the enemy shields and then have my fighters attack the now dead shield facing with torpedoes. I added the Grav Well and Viral matrix because I thought they would be helpful with this. Are there more useful abilities to help with this?

Also, I'm noticing I'm doing really well on shields, but when my shields are down, the next hit after always leaves me at 45-50% hull remaining. What am I doing wrong that's causing that to happen? I'm supposed to have close to 40k hull.

Overall, which of my abilities needs to me replaced, and with what?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Formerly Traven158
Career Officer
# 2
07-10-2012, 07:09 PM
At least one tactical team would go a looong way towards shields not dropping in the first place.

If they DO drop you should instantly hit brace for impact. This will protect against torpedoes. Polarize Hull or haz emitters will give hull resistance against other damages also. A shield distribution doff could also help in this situation, as would a hazard systems doff.

Also this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwioA-jUgPA&feature=plcp basic defense and how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD22NNM1Cjw&feature=plcp Vo'Quv using those abilities.

You'll notice I use torps and then combine the energy drain abilities with the inherent ships targeting.

You didn't mention pvp or pve, but I'm sure you'll find what you need to know in there regarding your hull.
Lieutenant
# 3
07-11-2012, 03:26 PM
A liost or whatever of how many levels you have in what skill points would be very handy. This almost looks like and all things to all people build. You've got lots of cute tricks, but when push comes to shove very littile focus on anything.

You really need to focus your build on eithier hull tanking or sheild tanking. Whilst eithier requires a medicorum amount of the other, just to cover specific situations, you'll get best results from one or the other being focused on.

If your going to sheild tank you REALLY need to be running tac team every 15 seconds, be that via 2 copioes or one and a few purple DOFF's.

As for disabling sheilds. Your level one vershion isn't that muich weaker at this. Yes it has a markedly lower chance of outright disable, but realisticlly even the 3 vershion isn't going to do it via proc, and with enough flow capacitors you drain so much power even with level 1 that the level 3 isn;t any real upgrade. I'd swap viral matrix for energy Siphon 3 TBH though. Even withmaxed flow capacitors and a Plasmonic leech consle you can only sink the power by around 80 with that combo. A fair wad of things will need more drain to kill the sheilds.
Captain
# 4
07-11-2012, 05:05 PM
For an Engineer in a Vo'Quv, you can really have some tremendous lasting power.

TAC LtCmdr - TacTm1, TacTm2, TorpSprd3
ENG LtCmdr - EmPw2Sh1, EmPw2Sh2, ASIF2
SCI Cmdr & Lt - Whatever mix you desire, as long as at the bare minimum you have PH and HE in the mix, somewhere.

Some justifications:

TAC: It's important for maximum shield distribution at all times, IMO, to have 2 Tac Teams cycling at all times in PVP. You never know when someone's coming out of cloak when everything's all nice and quiet. With a Conn DOFF to shorten TT cooldowns, this becomes more viable, IMO. A side effect of constantly having TT cycling at all times is that the usefulness of ST or ET is minimized, unless you want to break the constant coverage of TT to automatically distribute your shields. I put in TS3 as a preference since I mount 1 torpedo tube up front. TS3 into the midst of an enemy swarm of fighters in PVP goes a long way in clearing most of the lightest fighters out of the way, at least for a while. Also handy in an STF in those occasions that you do need to engage multiple targets, such as structures.

ENG: 2 copies of EmPw2Sh for the same reason as TT. With a constant rotation of TT+EmPw2Sh, your carrier's strongest defense, it's shields, will be up and powerful at all times. ASIF2 is there to be one of 2 forms of healing. The beauty is that not only does it increase hull defenses while running, but it's an okay hull self-heal and not a heal over time like Hazard Emitters. If there's a catastrophic breach of the shields, you have Polarize Hull, ASIF2, Brace For Impact, and HE to use in whatever combination to cover your hull resists. Should be good until you quickly raise shields back up. Another nice thing with ASIF is that, if you're dealing with Sci abilities to confuse your sensors, ASIF is only a self-heal, and will never be used and wasted accidentally on an opponent. ASIF is a good, immediate, safe self-heal to use when in duress that will minimize the impact of your ___ Team rotations.

SCI: As I mentioned, put whatever you want for most parts since there's lots of flexibility here. However, I do suggest Polarize Hull and Hazard Emitters with 1 copy each, at the bare minimum. PH doesn't heal but it grants Tractor Immunity and strong hull resists. You're going to get alot of tractors as a Carrier, even though you're already slow. But I despise being held still for others to have free runs at me. Hazard Emitters is a nice, HOT/Heal-Over-Time that also provides a small resist bonus. Use it on yourself or on a nearby ally that needs topping off or that extra bit of resists while under duress. You can also throw in Transfer Shield Strength into the mix, if you desire, to further ensure your shields be able to stand up to most things out there.
===========
As you can tell, I left off some favorites like EmPw2Weap. My philosophy with the Vo'Quv is that you really need strong defensive power. Everything and their grandmother is gunning for you. You are the Big Red Bullseye, and your destruction will take away all those pesky fighters/BOPs/etc. I don't pretend to be an offensive machine with the Carrier alone. I will make it last so I can constantly churn out craft to aid my team. Whatever firepower I can dish out directly by the ship is just icing on the cake; purely supportive.

If I need in a pinch extra power to weapons, I have Weapon Batteries and/or my trusty 'ol Red Matter Capacitor. If the enemy tires of trying to beat you into submission, then you can divert some power towards Weapons to cause more pain, on top of whatever high-end Sci abilities you decide to throw.

Since you're an Engineer, you can really make this beast last long. Save Miracle Worker for the direst situations. The ability that increases Power Levels is also outstanding when your Devices are on a cooldown.
Lieutenant
# 5
07-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
*Snip*
Not sure why those videos recommend I use the inherent Target Subsystems abilities, especially with the long cooldowns on the OTHER beam related abilities.

IE: I use the inherent Target Subsystems Shields ability, but it takes the entire cooldown of that ability for me to use BFAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl104 View Post
A liost or whatever of how many levels you have in what skill points would be very handy. This almost looks like and all things to all people build. You've got lots of cute tricks, but when push comes to shove very littile focus on anything.

Rest=*Snippy snip snip*
yeah, it wasn't until far into my Fed Tac career and soon after starting my Eng Klingon character that I started reading into what abilities did what . Long story short, I desperately need a respec. For both.

My attack plan was to go in, hit Viral Matrix and grav well, then EPW, then TSShield, then use the attack command for my fighters. Thus, the enemy is temporarily immobilized, whilst I drop their shields, and my fighters unload a torpedo salvo to severely damage their hull.

...unless this a stupid attack plan for a carrier, and carriers are meant, from beginning a fight to finishing it, to just slug it out while draining, hitting subsystems, etc. The two tac teams is a good idea, so I may replace my BO and BFAW with them (but then what do I do vs fighters and the like?). I might also nab the Energy Syphon 3 in place of the viral matrix, since VM only lasts, like, 3-4 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
*Snip*
Yeah, but I find myself rarely in a position where I CAN fire torps anyways. Even if this is the case, should I still take a torp launcher anyways and use Torp Spread as well? I'll probably replace EP2W though. And Reverse Shield Polarity. Though, what should I replace my Sci Team with if I can't use it with 2 tac teams?

As far as tanking goes guys, I'm looking to do better with shield tanking, but I'm finding it odd that my hull is halved (PvE) when my shields are low. EDIT: NVMD, the hull is going down less once I hit Polarize hull, Aux to Struct, and Brace for Impact.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Formerly Traven158

Last edited by arcanis161; 07-11-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Captain
# 6
07-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanis161 View Post
Yeah, but I find myself rarely in a position where I CAN fire torps anyways. Even if this is the case, should I still take a torp launcher anyways and use Torp Spread as well? I'll probably replace EP2W though. And Reverse Shield Polarity. Though, what should I replace my Sci Team with if I can't use it with 2 tac teams?

As far as tanking goes guys, I'm looking to do better with shield tanking, but I'm finding it odd that my hull is halved (PvE) when my shields are low. EDIT: NVMD, the hull is going down less once I hit Polarize hull, Aux to Struct, and Brace for Impact.
Like I said, the Torp Spread 3 and a torp tube up front is a personal preference for me. The Vo'Quv is as slow as a slug, but when I'm at extended range, TS3 is a great clearer of the small fighters flying around in a furball. I also quickly switch targets to something up front that presents itself, even in the mids of a furball. And a TS3 volley even in the short-medium ranges is still nice. Again, it's my preference, so feel free to throw on an energy weapon of choice there, with a suitable LtCmdr TAC ability to go with it.