Ensign
i've been having this issue with STO where in mid-game the game would crash and a error message saying "a fatal error has occured" and it says something about decomposing data... after this error message has come up and i reload STO the launcher get's stuck at "patching" (percentage does not show up and bar does not fill...)

the launcher hasn't frozen because the gallery continues to work as normal however the buttons do not respond...

normally re-installing fixes the problem temporarally however the problem is starting to become more persistant...

i really enjoy the game when it works so can the tech guys please take a look into this? my OS is in the title should you need the information...

i will try reinstalling a second time to see if that fixes it and if not i will post a reply to this topic with what the error message says (assuming one comes up...)
Ensign
# 2
07-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanprowler View Post
i've been having this issue with STO where in mid-game the game would crash and a error message saying "a fatal error has occured" and it says something about decomposing data... after this error message has come up and i reload STO the launcher get's stuck at "patching" (percentage does not show up and bar does not fill...)

the launcher hasn't frozen because the gallery continues to work as normal however the buttons do not respond...

normally re-installing fixes the problem temporarally however the problem is starting to become more persistant...

i really enjoy the game when it works so can the tech guys please take a look into this? my OS is in the title should you need the information...

i will try reinstalling a second time to see if that fixes it and if not i will post a reply to this topic with what the error message says (assuming one comes up...)
Right, so, sounds like you get the 'fatal error decompressing data' message. when this happened to me, this seemed to leave the gameclient.exe process running, despite the game crashing to desktop. However, I managed to fix the problem as a whole, by deleting the .hogg relevant to the error. for instance, if it is from the data file (the directory it gives will tell you the specific item, but the .hoggs contain multiple items.. just delete the necessary .hoggs) delete data.hogg. if it is a texture, delete the texture hoggs. next time you load the patcher, it will re-patch those .hoggs, and the game will be back to normal.
Ensign
# 3
07-07-2012, 06:38 AM
thanks daimaru... i'll see if i can identify which .hogg is being troublesome... if i can't get it working after that i'll let you know...
Ensign
# 4
07-07-2012, 06:42 AM
wait... would it work if i was to completely delete STO then download the installer and install it again?
Ensign
# 5
07-07-2012, 06:51 AM
should i have 3 "bins.hogg" and 3 "texture.hogg"? if not i'm guessing there's the problem...
Ensign
# 6 possible problem?
07-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Quote:
should i have 3 "bins.hogg" and 3 "texture.hogg"? if not i'm guessing there's the problem...
i found the following .hogg files under C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Star Trek ST.17.20120318a.9\piggs... : "bins.hogg", "bins2.hogg", "bins3.hogg", "texture.hogg", "texture2.hogg" and "texture3.hogg"

i'm assuming the ones with numbers shouldn't be there... am i right?
Ensign
# 7
07-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Quote:
i found the following .hogg files under C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Star Trek ST.17.20120318a.9\piggs... : "bins.hogg", "bins2.hogg", "bins3.hogg", "texture.hogg", "texture2.hogg" and "texture3.hogg"

i'm assuming the ones with numbers shouldn't be there... am i right?
nono, they should be. but if the thing causing the problem is a texture file, delete the texture hoggs. there should be numbered ones there. there should also be a data.hogg... but yeah, find out the file causing the problem, and delete only the hoggs it suggests. (it will say whether the problem is a texture file, a data file, etc. so, if it is a texture file, delete all the texture hoggs, let it repatch them in. if if is a data file, delete the data hogg, let it patch them in.
Ensign
# 8
07-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Really i want a fix for this "can't decompress data"... i'm at a point i'm so close of uninstalling this game and never installing it again, and i'm a lifetime member so trust me i'm hooked to this game but i can't do this s h i t anymore, the game crashes more then i can play! foking idiot dev that wrote the file handling system of this game.

this game reads & writes 100times more then any of my other games, its foking up its own hogg files every time the wtex error shows up!

WE NEED A FIX!! or REWRITE THE BLOODY FILE USE OF THIS GAME!
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
07-11-2012, 03:21 AM
1. Launcher-> Options -> Disable on-demand patching -> Restart launcher.
2. Launcher-> Options-> Force Verify.
See if that fixes your issues.
-------------------------------------------------------------
President of Alpha Solaris, a Federation fleet.

I used to be Sinsofasolarempire
Ensign
# 10
07-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsofanempire View Post
1. Launcher-> Options -> Disable on-demand patching -> Restart launcher.
2. Launcher-> Options-> Force Verify.
See if that fixes your issues.
sorry m8 that was the first thing i did, i'v downloaded a wooping amount of GB's more, lucky i have a 14mb/sec download connection (120mbps).
but no after like 10mins of gameplay i got the same error yet again.

i'v checked out the drivers of all my hardware, all are updated to there last and best versions, still did not fix it.
its just the game that read & writes a mega amount of data even with that patch on demand stuff off.
Wished the game just decompressed "all" the data and start using "uncompressed data"! cus this is getting to a point i just don't give a crap any-more, i left the game for 6months cus of this error and cus no one really had the fix, and i will leave the game for good now if i don't get a "real" fix soon. i get hearth spasms from frustration of this game, games should be relaxing but this game is gonna kill me!! so the best thing for me is stop playing this crap. "pains me to say this cus i'm really a star trek fan".

So please Devs, someone help me!

**EDITED**
Ehm it seems every time a play a mission with jemhadar bad guys (ground maps) and wen i use the assault jem rifle, that i get the wtex ... blabla shotgun bla bla error. weird never get them wtex error wen i'm in space?! maybe related only to ground maps. Devs take a look at it plx, error really driving me crazy.

Last edited by bbaetens; 07-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.