Lt. Commander
# 61 Let's Play
04-19-2009, 06:36 AM
The more we hear the more we want to play.
Lt. Commander
# 62
04-19-2009, 06:57 AM
The new footage got me worked up all over again. Very nice. Now I'm just gonna have to go back and start watching the episodes again to satisfy the cravings.
Lt. Commander
# 63
04-19-2009, 03:33 PM
For those of you trying to theorized of the movie/game release, sorry not going to happen. Beta dates is not even released yet and beta can take anywhere from 3-6 months depending on the situation. Movie comes out about 3 weeks or so. Now opening beta slots during that time maybe possible or a huge announcement of some sort or maybe an announcement of the release date can be possible during the launch of the movie time.
Lt. Commander
# 64
04-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
Hmm.

First, as always, sincere thanks to Craig for doing the interview. It's PR intended to boost sales, but even so it's still something for the fans of this game that we can appreciate.

As to the content, I agree with other posters so far: not much new here. There were some interesting new video scenes: a Galaxy-class ship about to lose its starboard warp nacelle; Borg coming out of a cave only to get phasered; a very pretty ship explosion; and a couple of shots of newish ships, including one that looked like somebody had tricked it out for a dekotora competition -- what the heck was that thing? It was barely recognizable as a Federation starship.

I mean, it was nice to be shown that ship. I'm appreciative. But... dang. Is that what 2409 is going to look like?

Also, why were there scenes from the upcoming Star Trek movie in this game video? Was this some cross-promotion that CBS insisted on?

Finally... MSNBC? Really? What in the world makes providing PR content about an online game to MSNBC look like a smart use of limited PR opportunities?

Why that media outlet and not another?

I'm not assuming anything; it's an open-ended question.

Anyway, I'm a little underwhelmed (and puzzled) on this one, but I truly do appreciate the outreach. I just hope the next one is more productive... in several ways.

--Flatfingers
Ok have you seen the first episode of ds9? It actually showed the battle of wolf 359 unlike TNG only explained it and showed the aftermath. It showed Miranda classes exerciser class etc and that is 23rd century ships but it is the 24th century. Even in todays times we still use ships from World War 2. If it works and function and not broken why replace it?
Lt. Commander
# 65
04-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Another thing about the interview. Most here is complaining that we heard all this stuff before most of the video is recycled etc... Keep in mind this is the first time the game was shown off to a mainstream media outlet. MSNBC is mainstream. G4 tv and the internet and gaming conventions is not considered mainstream as that is specific fan base outlets. MSNBC is general news stuff that a lot more people then just gamers watch. So now for the first time on normal tv that star trek fans that does not follow gaming news got to see the game announcement. To them this is all new information. This was just intended not just for us that been following the game.
Lt. Commander
# 66
04-19-2009, 08:43 PM
I am very pleased with the asteroids in this game. They look stunning, and there are LOTS of them! Other space environments look awesome too.

but the planetary rings that has some dust clouds in them. Look a little weird. You can obviously tell, the dust clouds are done with sprite alpha stencils. And they follow to much of a pattern to look organic. Planetary rings definitely need some touch up work from the art department

I still think they need to have a contest, for the best fan made movies. And use it as a promotional video for the game Especially if, this is all the better than can do for video editing the first video was much better
Lt. Commander
# 67
04-19-2009, 08:57 PM
We could sit here all day and nit and pick at potential faults in the game based on what we've seen. But really, is there an game out there that looks as impressive as this in its ALPHA stage? Apples and oranges, perhaps..

I know that my patience is being tested as we hear more and more about the progress of the dev team. I am anxious for whatever comes out of their next "milestone" effort which i guess their goal is to get some serious goals accomplished by next week (4/27/09 'ish?) I guess we'll see.

''..............but I wanna play it NOOOOOOOOWWWWW!"
Lt. Commander
# 68
04-20-2009, 05:25 AM
I was more interested in the "Disabled and Gaming" video that was linked. Sounds like the woman has the same thing my mum and I have, (progresses fasteri in males) she also spoke truth.
Lt. Commander
# 69
04-20-2009, 07:52 AM
I loved the interview and really cant wait to start playing. However, I am a little worried about the fact you can do missions with your npc crew (pets) instead of other players. Not that I donít like the ability to solo but what would be the point of looking for others to play with if I could just go out on a mission with my npc crew?
Lt. Commander
# 70
04-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Just does get you more and more excited to play this sucker!!!