Lt. Commander
# 1 Voice overs
07-15-2012, 01:58 AM
According to recent interviews with cryptic development, they still think it is infeasible to introduce voice overs (e.g. for bridge commanders). They said they would have to record hundreds of voices for the bridge crew alone. This is just a flimsy excuse!! I would be happy enough if they only introduced two voice overs (male/female) for the bridge crew as a start. Those players who dont like it are welcome to turn it off. But those who want to enjoy the story like me...well at least i cannot enjoy stories if there are no voice overs. It just feels cheap to read some dump text. I would even pay ZEN, if I could get voice overs.

I still haven't seriously played the Klingon missions because the old ones have no voice overs. Not even unique characters and mission givers in the storyline have voice overs! Cryptic when are you ever going to renovate the missions? I cant be so damned hard to record some the voice overs. If you dont have money to enlist actors do it urself like Blizzard does!
Commander
# 2
07-15-2012, 03:02 AM
No, they really would have to record hundreds of voices.... JUST TO NARROW IT DOWN TO THE ONE THAT THEY LIKE.

If they went with your idea of just having one male and one female (regardless of race), then guess what? They have to audition voice actors, record all of them, then go through and meticulously pick out which one they think is the best.

it is by NO MEANS a simple, easy, or cheap process for anyone involved.
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
-The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusashorn View Post
No, they really would have to record hundreds of voices.... JUST TO NARROW IT DOWN TO THE ONE THAT THEY LIKE.

If they went with your idea of just having one male and one female (regardless of race), then guess what? They have to audition voice actors, record all of them, then go through and meticulously pick out which one they think is the best.

it is by NO MEANS a simple, easy, or cheap process for anyone involved.
Or...or... they just do it the easy way and you switch it off when you hear it. It is still better than having nothing.
Commander
# 4
07-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Not from their money-and-time-limited point of view. it's better to just leave things as they are and only add new voice overs for new content when they can, such as the starbase defense and freighter protection fleet actions.
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-15-2012, 09:32 AM
They are just missing out on a lot of cash, considering there are lots of people out there who would be willing to pay money for voice over missions and episodes.
Captain
# 6
07-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
They are just missing out on a lot of cash, considering there are lots of people out there who would be willing to pay money for voice over missions and episodes.
Those people lack taste and sense (and quite possibly have six toes on each foot from the inbreeding) despite having money to burn for a bell and a whistle.
# 7
07-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
No offense but if that was true, voiceovers would be asked for at the same level as mobile device support and ship customization.

edit: I like that idea as well and I believe it;s been mentioned a couple of times that we have quite a lot of unsed voice over work that we have installed but never used but I don't think it;s going to happen. Hiring a voice actor, who by the way would most likely be union, is just the start. You're also looking at tech time, studio time, etc. Plus if you're having them fill some sort of canon position, I;m sure there would be licensing as well.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Commander
# 8
07-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Or...or... they just do it the easy way and you switch it off when you hear it. It is still better than having nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
No offense but if that was true, voiceovers would be asked for at the same level as mobile device support and ship customization.

edit: I like that idea as well and I believe it;s been mentioned a couple of times that we have quite a lot of unsed voice over work that we have installed but never used but I don't think it;s going to happen. Hiring a voice actor, who by the way would most likely be union, is just the start. You're also looking at tech time, studio time, etc. Plus if you're having them fill some sort of canon position, I;m sure there would be licensing as well.
Exactly, this isn't even the tip of the iceberg. Speaking as someone who has met over 2 dozen professional voice actors (even forming personal relationships with a few of them), I've learned quite a few things about what it takes just to add voices into the game, and how demanding a voice director can be before he decided which take was "perfect".
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-15-2012, 02:13 PM
From your perspective, it must crazy that Call of Duty and Diablo 3 have voice acting at all...
Commander
# 10
07-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Quite the contrary. Blizzard is a multi-billion dollar company who has the money (mostly thanks to South Korea alone) who can afford having huge development teams for it's games and can afford to hire voice actors and production studios to record character dialogue. I find it perfectly normal that most console and PC games have full voice acting. It's become the norm.

Full-blown MMORPGs on the other hand, are a different matter. Cryptic doesn't have Blizzard's luxury. A much smaller development crew accompanied by a budget that is only just enough to keep the game going with the occasional voiced perk every now and then.