Starfleet Veteran
# 11
07-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Quote:
... but the amazing materials of the 25th century ? like transparent aluminum ? make it possible to build a structure that can withstand the pressures of space (and even combat) while providing a scintillating view of the universe.
Does this mean they have reached the point where they can now corrugate transparent aluminum?
Banned
# 12
07-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxina View Post
And put limit on donations , how can small fleet work with that ?
The fleet leaders can determine what the cap is. If it is a small fleet then they can set a very large cap, or none at all.
Career Officer
# 13
07-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purvee1 View Post
Oh yes, and how many atmospheres of pressure is that then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecangetlost View Post
Don't say I have to worry about all that gas floating around in space as well now?
Well I would assume "pressures" means more along the lines of the effects of temperature on materials, the transitions from hot to cold to hot places materials under certain stresses, even in space. That or he means space barnacles.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Starfleet Veteran
# 14 How Do You Know If...?
07-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Hi guys,

Is there some way to tell if your fleet has done this project or not? Other than the cosmetic differences if you don't know where to look?

Or how do you know if your fleet has even unlocked the ability to use that assignment?
Career Officer
# 15
07-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakomagi View Post
Hi guys,

Is there some way to tell if your fleet has done this project or not? Other than the cosmetic differences if you don't know where to look?

Or how do you know if your fleet has even unlocked the ability to use that assignment?
That's the easy part.

If you get onto a Starbase, step into the main area, and can see into space, it's done.

Otherwise, I don't think there's a way to know without going.
Career Officer
# 16
07-16-2012, 05:23 PM
That is a great suggestion though. They could add a list of completed projects to the Fleet UI, so you can see what has been completed (if you've been away for a while or are curious). More or less like the one the DOFF UI has - although I would like a flagg be also added to the featured project advert on the left of the fleet UI.

Quote:
Featured Project
[ image] blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah
....................... [ Completed ]
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Ensign
# 17
07-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Sadly these special projects will not be much of a focus for my 2 player fleet. Not only is 200k Dilithium extremely expensive, but thinking about, "Ok 200k Dilithium we don't have that much but what we do have we can do many many main projects in military, science, or engineering."

So for critically small fleets [less than 5] those purely eye candy projects are out of our ability even to think about doing. mostly because we could do this one project to 20 other projects and finishing whole tier sections. thus unlocking functionality over opening some windows up.

For larger fleets 25+ or so in size these projects are super easy because the dilithium cost is spread around very nicely.

I know they wont ever include some sort of scaling systems to the number of accounts to a fleet. However they may in 2 or 3 years take mercy on the very few of us who haven't opened up the windows yet and give it to us at a reduced cost.

These eye candy rotating projects are cool but for myself and my other fleet member. they are far far too costly for what little they actually do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my foundry mission series Breen Campaign 1 to 8
Empire Veteran
# 18
07-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3gr4ndnagu5 View Post
despite feedback received on Tribble
Getting feedback does not guarentee anything will change, no matter how much we wish it could be guarenteed. I'm not saying it won't change, but there's not a 100% chance.

Much like P2W. Virtually all feedback was negative, but in the end, orders were orders and they had to put it in.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
07-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
Well I would assume "pressures" means more along the lines of the effects of temperature on materials, the transitions from hot to cold to hot places materials under certain stresses, even in space. That or he means space barnacles.
No, atmospheric pressure is a consideration, too. Pressure is never the direct concern, pressure differential is. If the pressure is equal inside and out, even if that pressure is very very great, the skin can be made of tinfoil and it'll be fine. But if the interior pressure is higher or lower than the exterior pressure, the skin has to withstand that pressure differential.

A spacecraft or station with an internal pressure of 1 atmosphere has to withstand the same pressure differential as a vacuum depressurized vessel at sea level, just focused in the opposite direction. That changes how the force is applied and how the structure has to bear it, but not the amount of force.

Real world spacecraft get around the problem by having a much lower pressure than 1 atmosphere, but the differential is still bigger than an airplane with a pressurized cabin, and those can already blow out damaged windows just from pressure differential.

Last edited by hevach; 07-16-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit656 View Post
So for critically small fleets [less than 5] those purely eye candy projects are out of our ability even to think about doing. mostly because we could do this one project to 20 other projects and finishing whole tier sections. thus unlocking functionality over opening some windows up.
Well a 2 person fleet I'm in has it done in our KDF and Fed starbase. It all depends on how long you have been saving up and acquiring goodies.