Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Republic Veteran
# 31
07-16-2012, 03:28 PM
So where is Sargent shultz then, for the ones that use it negitive.
Starfleet Veteran
# 32
07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspfueler View Post
so Are The Pc Police Coming After Me Since I Suggested Naming Our Kdf Starbase "stalag 13"?

I Know Nus-sink, I See Nus-sink!
Lieutenant
# 33
07-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Hey, if Batman has no problem with him, he can't be all bad.

Yay! My first post! (?)

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
Career Officer
# 34
07-16-2012, 06:39 PM
It's a real long stretch to go from a shortening of Klingon to Klink to make some association with a TV show that's been off the air for 40 years. Colonel Klink was a well-acted comedic character played by the Jewish actor, Werner Klemperer. Somehow I take a different message from that. Enjoy the comedy for what it is. Take the abbreviation for the fact that this happens in lots of games. Think of Starcraft with the Zerg(lings) and (Pro)toss. Just to add to the ridiculousness, shouldn't we then stop using Feds for the Federation as it would be confused with Federal Agents. Those "Feds" could take exception as well as those people who aren't fond of the government. Klinks is part of the game, go with it, it's not going away. It's just the shortening of a word for convenience sake and that's about it. And considering the OP hasn't posted one thing since the start of this thread, I think it's fair to call this whole thing a troll.

Last edited by bearodice1; 07-16-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Ensign
# 35
07-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daharmasterklag View Post
I agree that the derisive term 'klink' should be phased out of use. I've seen it used all too often by trolls/haters in game as well as the forums. If people insist on using what has become an antagonistic slur they shouldn't be surprised when they are ignored or are responded to in an unfriendly manner.

For those who feel the word Klingon is too long, they could just use KDF instead, it is a lot shorter and less likely to stir up ill will.

I never realized that you Klinks were such a sensitive people...

I mean the whole macho killer thing is just an act? I never imagined Worf crying into his pillow at night because someone made a crack about his bony forehead. My whole worldview of Star Trek has been forever changed. The Federation didn't need weapons to fight the Klingons, they need only have hurt their widdle feelings...
Rihannsu
# 36
07-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkshadow9498 View Post
...No more calling Orions "Kinks"...
...Well I know what I'm calling Orions from now on.
Survivor of Romulus
# 37
07-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Thank you, OP- a little Pure Comedy Gold always brightens my day and your parodic sendup of over-the-top outrage at nothing kept me laughing for a good 15 minutes.

Wait...you mean you were serious?

Ah well...that was good for another 15 minutes, so it's all good.
Rihannsu
# 38
07-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
So are the PC Police coming after me since I suggested naming our KDF Starbase "Stalag 13"?
hehe... excellent! I like it.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 39
07-18-2012, 05:11 AM
And actually, the names "Klink" and "Shultz" come from a earlier era than Hogan's Heroes.
In a 1938 Animated Short the Looney Tunes Character Yosemite Sam plays a prison guard by the name of "Shultz" and reports to a "Commandant Klink"...

These Looney Tunes Characters continued to fight and make fun of the Nazi state throughout the years of World War II (1939-1945). Most historians would argue that this was an attempt at propaganda to get the US citizens to view the Nazi's in a humorous light instead of the reality of what war was and still is.
Empire Veteran
# 40
07-18-2012, 05:20 AM
Quote:
These Looney Tunes Characters continued to fight and make fun of the Nazi state throughout the years of World War II (1939-1945). Most historians would argue that this was an attempt at propaganda to get the US citizens to view the Nazi's in a humorous light instead of the reality of what war was and still is.
and those historians would be correct. The Looney Toons characters where part of the pro-war propaganda effort to keep the country rolling through and moral for the troops high.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.