Starfleet Veteran
# 1 STO Website issues
07-18-2012, 08:01 AM
I don't see anywhere in this forum where I can post non-game issues, so I'll post this here:

For some reason, ever since the merger of the STO website with the PWE system, I only see images from the website (and forums) load part of the time. Mostly, I notice images in the devblogs fail to load, screenshot preview images in the screenshot gallery fail to load, but even in the STO forums sometimes (not all the time, but sometimes) the STO forum banner (the viewscreen shaped image that reads "forums") fails to load, and sometimes even the background image fails to load!

I thought it was an issue with my browser, so I switched from Firefox to Chrome, and it STILL has images failing to load!

I can see where the images are supposed to load, and if I right-click on them to open them up in a new tab in order to view the images themselves, I always get "Error 400: Bad Request" (meanwhile when the images do decide to show up I can open them in a new tab and still view the images fine).

I don't know where or how these images are being hosted now, but it definitely feels like viewing the websites and forums here have been an inferior experience than the system the STO website and forums were using previously.

Raptr profile
Captain
# 2
07-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
I don't see anywhere in this forum where I can post non-game issues, so I'll post this here:
It's been mentioned a couple of times in passing with (I forget who) saying that it worked for them. I;d have to dig for the thread since I can't find it right off.

For me, I can;t see the titles in the picture slidey thingie at the top left.

*chuckle* Last time I had one of these with the client being able to see the pictures and no one else, the pictures where still linked to their C drive.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
07-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
It's been mentioned a couple of times in passing with (I forget who) saying that it worked for them. I;d have to dig for the thread since I can't find it right off.

For me, I can;t see the titles in the picture slidey thingie at the top left.

*chuckle* Last time I had one of these with the client being able to see the pictures and no one else, the pictures where still linked to their C drive.
I made the comment when the website merger first took place.

I believe it was PWE_Branflakes that said that he didn't seem to have any issues (of course, right?)

At any rate, it's not that images don't work ever, it's that they don't work most of the time I can refresh a page a dozen times and out of that maybe a couple times the images will load. Every other time I get "Error 400: Bad Request"

Here's some examples from the most recent devblog:

Tholian Orb Weaver

Mirror Universe Ships

Recluse Carrier

Tholian Crystal Sword

As of this posting all of these images seem to be working for me (of course, they work NOW). They weren't working just a few hours ago. Who knows if they will work in a few hours from now? The same for nearly every other image for this website.

Raptr profile
Captain
# 4
07-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
As of this posting all of these images seem to be working for me (of course, they work NOW). They weren't working just a few hours ago. Who knows if they will work in a few hours from now? The same for nearly every other image for this website.
Look at the urls. They're all coming from a CDN network. Probably was down or messed up.

Folks (and Cryptic/PeeWee I gather) think CDNs are a solution but seems like most often they're not. Third party sources, especially those from outside the network) can cause more trouble than they prevent.

At least that's my take on them.

As much as I dislike these folks, wordpress.com has a decent fall back system with their CDN. or at least they did when I moderated their support forums. if the CDNs starting throwing up any 404s, the system would fall pact to their network until the issues got resolved. be it down servers, overload or whatever. At least that's how it was supposed to work. Wasn't perfect but....
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
07-18-2012, 10:53 AM
HAHAHA... now the background image for the web page stopped working, so I just have a plain black background with no forum header banner!

For a corporation that buys other companies to gain the benefit of their methods, practices, and resources, it seems PWE went completely backwards with their web team.

EDIT: Now with pictures!

Raptr profile

Last edited by direphoenix; 07-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Ok, this is getting more and more and more annoying each day. This CDN thing that STO/Cryptic/PWE is using for hosting their images is broken more often than it is working. I'm not getting any images for their sites now... which is EXTREMELY. FRUSTRATING. Especially when we've got devblogs like today's, and all I see is nothing but a bunch of broken images (not even a background image or header)

Please for the love of all that is sacred, someone get the web team to find a DIFFERENT SOLUTION because the one they're using doesn't work.

Raptr profile