Career Officer
# 1 Polaron build ... me likey
07-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I have been test driving a Polaron build on my D'Kora and I really like it.

Here's the layout:

Fore: (3x) Dual Cannon MK XII [acc] [crth] [crtd] + Quantum Torp MK XI [Borg]
Aft: (3x) Turret MK XII [acc] [crtd]x2 + Quantum Torp MK XI [Borg]

I have also collected the Phased Polaron weapons, but this build seems to perform greater damage on a more consistent basis.

Jem'Hadar set: shields/engine/deflector

Sci: (3x) RSC 26% + Leach
Eng: Borg, Battle Mode, Rule 62
Tac: (3X) Polaron 30% consoles

BTW... the D'Kora Battle mode console is like a purple MK XII RCS, Energy Weapon, Torp, Energy Power and Engine Power all rolled into one.

Boffs:
Tac LtComm TS1/ApB1/RF2
Tac Ens: HY1
Sci: PH1/ST2
Eng LT: EpA1/DeM1
Eng Comm: EpS1/EpS2/ET3/AtS3

Doffs:
(2x) blue Energy Weapons - Cannon Cooldown buff
Sensor Scan enemy damage output debuff
(2x) purple Science Team cooldown

I like the extra turning rate of stacking some RCS consoles over any extra hull/shield buffing. I very rarely die, unless I get whacked by a Bio-Neural warhead or a massive borg plasma burst. I am usually easily healing thru any damage, while tossing out tons of DPS.

I have some alternate builds for disruptor and antiproton, but I really enjoy the look of the Jem'Hadar set and Polaron weapons. I can also run Polaron beams and they look amazing but they offer just a little less DPS burst damage.

Call me crazy... but I really think the D'Kora is the best bug ship and with it's balance of DPS and survivability, it gives the Jem'Hadar a run for the money. Given a choice, I'm not sure I would trade a D'Kora for a Jem'Hadar.

When I am not flying the D'Kora I also really like the Garumba, Kar'Fi and Tac Borta.

This game is just too much fun.

Starfleet Veteran
# 2
07-18-2012, 09:10 PM
I am running all polaron on a fed VA Defiant with the jem set and it is tearing stuff up. Might even be a bit better after polaron gets buffed in tomorrows patch.
Career Officer
# 3
07-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Say what? A Polaron buff? Is it possible I made a wise decision in this game?

BTW... did I say the Polaron beams look really cool? Almost feel like a Sith Sorc.
Captain
# 4
07-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaxx View Post
Say what? A Polaron buff? Is it possible I made a wise decision in this game?

BTW... did I say the Polaron beams look really cool? Almost feel like a Sith Sorc.
Huh, I should look into polarons, then, if they're getting buffed. . .
Captain
# 5
07-19-2012, 02:05 AM
The D'kora is certainly a bit of a monster, having eight slots on a DHC-mounted ship doesn't hurt either. I personally go with RCSs as well, generally your survivability is provided by you being in a cruiser with a cruiser BOff-layout, and you want to squeeze all the turn out you can to bring your fore to bear.
Career Officer
# 6
07-19-2012, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
The D'kora is certainly a bit of a monster, having eight slots on a DHC-mounted ship doesn't hurt either. I personally go with RCSs as well, generally your survivability is provided by you being in a cruiser with a cruiser BOff-layout, and you want to squeeze all the turn out you can to bring your fore to bear.
Great minds think alike.
Career Officer
# 7
07-19-2012, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
I am running all polaron on a fed VA Defiant with the jem set and it is tearing stuff up. Might even be a bit better after polaron gets buffed in tomorrows patch.
I think you might mean some of the new polaron hybrid weapons coming in lock boxes.

If this is what you meant... as a Tac captain building on crit, it really feels like [acc] and [crth] are my best friends.

I have used all (3) hybrid weapons available so far, phased polaron, disruptor/plasma hybrid & spiral wave disruptors (phaser hybrid), and the pure weapon types with extra accuracy and crit still seem to out perform. Perhaps there are scenarios where these and the new hybrids are the better choice. I'm still trying to figure it out.
Empire Veteran
# 8
07-19-2012, 06:26 AM
All the Procs on all weapons are getting a once over pass to buff them.
Otherwise the damage and other stats remain the same.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
07-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaxx View Post
I think you might mean some of the new polaron hybrid weapons coming in lock boxes.
Nope. Not what I meant.
Career Officer
# 10
07-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Ahhh... I was checking out the maintenance notes and I see the proc reference. It looks like some of the "cheap" tetryon goodies on the exchange might be going up in price.

I look forward to seeing what the proc updates change.

I was also thinking, of all of the weapon types, Polaron might just be the most team friendly if any enemy ships are procing upwards of (-43) power to their systems, which is what my weapon specs reflect since I put skill points into flow capacitors and run the Jem'Hadar set.

Last edited by shadowaxx; 07-19-2012 at 08:46 AM.