Starfleet Veteran
# 51
07-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara View Post
There are a fair number of players who simply won't have the eye-hand coordination for fast-reaction ground combat, usually they stick to space maps where they do fine, but sometimes they're just looking for a change of venue themselves, which is nothing wrong at all.
Listen, I do not blame someone for his/her handicap or technical problems. But AGAIN: This is called "special forces". So it is a challenge for the best of the best. I guess all this discussion are only because everyone wants the special items. In older days the old borg set was some kind of trophy. I know my fleetmates and I had to spend many attempts and many long friday nights to get all 3 pieces. You were proud if you got a full set. Only a few players had this set.

Today STFs are much easier. With an experienced team you can win it in 20-30 minutes without a problem. So people start to think: Well it is a normal mission like all the other stuff. I will try it.

See my point? I hope so. It is not the people. It is the items. They are very rare so everyone wants them.
Survivor of Romulus
# 52
07-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I have worked with "special forces" (I used to be in the military) Admittedly our role was not the same as theirs (we cleared a mine field so they could perform a night operation in safety)

some of them are very very dangerous men
The gear they carried was no different from ours (just not the same unforms)
its the man makes the difference not the gear in the real world.

Id bet on the Paratrooper with a knife over the regular infantryman with a machinegun
because he won't see the para coming.

Gear especially for space missions is not specific (I do fine with standard phasers and torps)

and the ground gear varies by person and mission (I like a sword for close work and that works too)
I have seen many weapons work and many sets of armour

its all options
Starfleet Veteran
# 53
07-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Well maybe this is different than the German army. There you have for example the KSK group. They use special weapons, special cars and special training. It is the man, his special training and his special equipment. All three parts have to form a unity.

So for STF:
Experienced player
Good gear (this does not mean MK XII only)
High level
Empire Veteran
# 54
07-09-2012, 10:38 PM
It depends the country.
In my country. French foreign legion has not special stuff even though they are best soldier in french regular army. I mean they have the same stuff as any regular infantryman. We have marsouin (it's like royal marines) and they have not special gears. They have regular as any regular infantryman. Only special forces have special cars, special guns special training. Reco, GIGN (from military police), FUMACO, CRAPS and others have special gears that no any regular soldier can have.
But! Because we are weak and coward. We prefer to use white flag
http://i.imgur.com/RVocq.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 55
07-19-2012, 08:51 AM
There should be a help guide or system in place for STFS that tells new players that they should run normals first to gear up before running elites...unless there is some sort of system in place allready?