Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Commander
First off: This is NOT another "I want a tier 5 Constitution" thread.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I've noticed we have refits of many lower ships available at the starbase; some of them go from tier 2 all the way up to tier 5, whereas some only go up 2 tiers.

So, what I'm wondering is, would it totally break everything to have a Constitution Refit (as in, the tier 2 version, not the TOS version) that was upgraded to either Commander or Captain spec levels? It would still be less powerful than the Sovereign, the VA Galaxy, and all the other cruisers at that level...but it *could* be used for general PVE all the way through VA, for the people who really love the Constitution (which looks AMAZING with the 900-day Veteran reward skin, btw...THANK YOU, Cryptic!).

Some thoughts on how this could be done:

Commander: same maneuverability as the tier 2 cruisers; bridge officer layout, impulse and shield modifiers of the Heavy Cruisers; 65-70% of the hitpoints of a Heavy Cruiser; 3 front, 3 rear weapon slots, and the same console layout. So, it would not be quite as powerful, but it could be readily used.

Captain: same as above, except: 60% of an Exploration Cruiser's hitpoints; slightly lower shield modifier; Exploration Cruiser's BO/console layout.

I think this would make it more feasible for people to stay in their beloved Consitution class ships, while still showing the age of the platform; whereas the first refit only lost hull hitpoints to the Heavy Cruiser, it now loses hull strength, crew, weapon hardpoints, and a bit of shield strength (even with modern shield arrays), compared to the Galaxy class ships. While this is a massive upgrade to the Constitution, I don't think it's that far-fetched, considering it would have been gutted and rebuilt, using technology from a couple hundred years in the future.

Imagine, for example, if the Germans were to 'refit' their U-boat fleet from WWII with modern-day technology, while keeping the same hulls. They could travel faster and further (no diesel fuel), fire much more dangerous weaponry, and have much more advanced sonar capabilities...but, when matched against present-day submarines, they would never be able to dive as deep, they would not survive near-misses as well as the new stuff, and they wouldn't be able to fire at the same depth, either. So...one hell of an upgrade, but still not able to take on the new stuff 1-on-1.

Does this make sense to you guys, as a sort of compromise between the "We want our tier 5 Constitution" crowd and the "Hell no, it's too powerful/out of place" crowd? (I'm kind of in the middle; I want my U.S.S. Barbarossa to be capable of running STF's without becoming a burden to everyone else...but, at the same time, I see the need for it to be less powerful than the new hotness being put out by Starfleet's engineers.)

So...what do you think?