Banned
# 41
07-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Let me get this straight: tumerboy says the team is "confused and annoyed" by a trailer that features things that arent really in the game, so they make a brand new trailer that starts with bridge travel which isnt in the game? Gotta love double standards
Captain
# 42
07-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ck5p4rr0w View Post
Let me get this straight: tumerboy says the team is "confused and annoyed" by a trailer that features things that arent really in the game, so they make a brand new trailer that starts with bridge travel which isnt in the game? Gotta love double standards
They will ban you for pointing this out. truth is bad for pr.
Captain
# 43
07-18-2012, 08:49 AM
The fact of the matter is this trailer is someone or some team's personal machinima project in which they stretch the limits of their demo record tool. It is utterly deceptive and bogus when it is presented as something besides machinima. It only does harm to attract folks with a mercedes and give them a trabi.
Please stop being unethical.
Career Officer
# 44
07-18-2012, 10:09 AM
I remember the days that Stahl said that we do not charge for new featurs and content.......I wish that wete still true.....I think those days were within the last couple of months.
Career Officer
# 45
07-18-2012, 08:20 PM
People getting upset over a trailer for a game that doesn't charge any money to access in order to validate the product for themselves - and potentially get hooked. Hardly the most dubious of advertising.

By the way Cryptic, it might be an idea to actually add in some small print saying this footage is representative of the actual product, a game. Some people may gullibly believe that signing up to STO actually transforms them into digital characters that run around in the game - TRON style.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Banned
# 46
07-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
People getting upset over a trailer for a game that doesn't charge any money to access in order to validate the product for themselves - and potentially get hooked. Hardly the most dubious of advertising.

By the way Cryptic, it might be an idea to actually add in some small print saying this footage is representative of the actual product, a game. Some people may gullibly believe that signing up to STO actually transforms them into digital characters that run around in the game - TRON style.
You are completely missing the point. In another thread tumerboy said that the dev team was "confused and annoyed" that the old KDF trailer showed things that werent representative of actual gameplay. That makes it very ironic when the new trailer they release starts off with something that is also not representative of actual gameplay, and would imply that that dev team is also "confused and annoyed" by this new trailer like they were about the old one.
Survivor of Romulus
# 47
07-19-2012, 08:15 AM
As for the Tholians on the ship in the trailer, I'm surprised that they didn't use the design they have for the Tholians in their Environmental suits.

(Since they had the Dev Blog where they showed how they had designed the Tholians, and their suits to wear when they were outside their hostile/hot worlds.)
http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=599321

But now that I look back, maybe that was just at the artist level, and hadn't been programmed/coded

Maybe they were showing one of the future Season 7 Tholian missions with the Tholians in the ships!

They may have some things that don't appear in game, but I think the trailer did a good job of conveying the wonder of the Star Trek Universe, and some of the Season 6 content.
I liked the trailer.

(And maybe adding a planet to your starbase background will be a special project, like having the glass ceiling as a featured project. Makes sense to me.)

There have been some bumps with season 6, but I'm liking it.

Lieutenant
# 48
07-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Trailers always make things look better
Phasers set to fun since 2010 -- http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16340871
Lieutenant
# 49
07-20-2012, 03:09 PM
The very first thing that came to mind when I started watching this trailer was tumerboy's comment about the KDF trailer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
That trailer was something made entirely by Atari from my understanding. When it was released, everyone I knew on the STO team was confused and annoyed at how unrepresentative it was (showing ships bombarding planets, etc.)
If you replace "Atari" with "PWE" and "ships bombarding planets" with "bridge travel" it would sound exactly like he was talking about the new trailer.
-----------------------------------

Guess who's back...back again!

Last edited by fereng1fiend; 07-20-2012 at 03:13 PM.