Commander
Those of you who know what you're doing in STF's, and constantly get screwed over by Puggers who don't read instructions or guides and don't watch the chat window, will know exactly which targets I'm talking about.

For Cryptic's benefit, though, here's an example: the Nanite Generators in Infected Space. More often than not, one member of the team immediately dumps all his firepower into one of them, often times before the Cube is even gone, and starts the flood of Nanite Spheres way ahead of time. This costs their team the timed optional objective every single time it happens, not to mention making the whole thing take twice as long, which really sucks.

So, if we can't convince them to stop screwing everyone else over, could we be given the ability to heal the target they are pointlessly killing, to reduce their effective DPS on it, and buy the rest of the team some time to unscrew the situation? This could also give science ships a rather important role; they can buy a few seconds as it is, by pushing away the incoming Nanite Probes, but if they were then able to run back and dump heals on the offending Nanite Generator, this could be enough to buy the team the time it needs to fix things and keep rolling.

I realize this could be used for griefing, to an extent, but griefers could simply run into the map after the gate guardian is down, and kill one Nanite Generator per side, if they wanted to grief the team.
Commander
# 2
07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you. I would rather Cryptic not bother spending time programming this.

First, there would have to be a decent healboat in the team, who is prepared to go around keeping tabs on the health of all 4 generators. If this is to help PuGs, there's no guarantee that such a player will be present, unless that player is you. And are you going to play a healboat every STF? And to be honest, if you can stall someone for any length of time worth talking about by healing their target, they're probably not doing an immense amount of DPS and aren't exactly a likely candidate for blowing their gen before everyone else is ready. I can see this helping maybe one time in ten. At best.

Secondly, what about something bigger that needs to be killed at a certain time instead of straight away? Like a Cure cube or KA gate? Is someone supposed to just sit there healing it until the offending player gets the message that it's not to die yet? You'd be surprised how stubborn some players are. Could end up with 2 players fighting over the life of a cube for half the mission, and not contributing to anything else. So this can really only ever help on Infected.

Thirdly, you shouldn't go into PuGs, especially on Elite, (you can pratically just brute force Infected on Normal anyway) expecting them to be sufficiently co-ordinated, experienced, and be able to understand your language to complete the mission with optional. I agree that PuGs can be staggeringly inept, and Cryptic could stand to make the game a bit more teamplay orientated before you reach STFs to try and address this, but putting in stuff like being able to heal enemy NPCs isn't the answer, imo. If you're not happy with your PuG quality, you're in a fleet, aren't you? And if that's not enough, you should join an STF channel and get your groups from there, so this will be a non-issue.

Lastly, I'm attacking a healable target, but I need to heal myself. I have to break target lock, even for just a split second, to heal myself instead of what I'm shooting. Do you know how quickly that's going to get annoying? And for the sake of occasionally being able to save an optional on one mission. Not worth it, imo.

Last edited by skhc; 07-20-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 3
07-20-2012, 10:33 AM
A more elegant solution would be to shield the generators until Cube has been destroyed.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
or put the arrival of the probes on a Pure timer
so that the generators can be holocausted in 30 seconds if need be and prevent them EVER arriving
Commander
# 5
07-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Skhc, you wouldn't need to healspec; just keep an eye on all four (which I already do), and when one is getting down too quickly, drop some heals on it. I tank all the time, so I happen to have some very good heals that can also be applied to others; my train of thought was that I could at least buy everyone time to finish killing their Generators. The only thing that saves the team right now is someone in a science ship pushing the probes away.

That said, I can understand where you're coming from, and I have to agree with you; at the time I posted this, I was completely and utterly frustrated by the idiots I kept getting teamed with, in combination with the griefers. I wish the game had a system that required people to run the standard version several times before running Elite; most of these people are of the "STFU, this is my first STF and I'm just here to have fun" variety; I understand it's a game, of course, but these people need to have their 'fun' somewhere that it won't cost other players. /ragepostff

Aexrael and Sollvax, I agree with both of you. The shields would prevent the griefing that the German Borg Elite people like to do (had two of them destroy one generator on each side, before the cubes were even down, then leave the map). Seriously, though, if you have these people in your team, start thinking of a way to deal with their griefing.

The timer would help, too; an organized team can deal with this easily, but with the number of times one must repeat these to get the full Mk XII sets, it's pretty much impossible to do it with a hand-picked team, unless you know 3-4 other people who are always online at the same time, and always want to run elite STF's with you.

I'm liking these ideas...the shield thing would probably be incredibly easy to deal with, from Cryptic's end.
Commander
# 6
07-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethon3050 View Post
dumps all his firepower into one of them, often times before the Cube is even gone, and starts the flood of Nanite Spheres way ahead of time.
This is just wrong.
Popping a gen does not spam Nanite Spheres, it plops just one accompanied by a "normal" Sphere out of the Gateway. After 2 gens explode, 2 extra Spheres spawn above the Transformer (which you can even avoid aggroing by staying away).
Any player decent enough can handle this. Slow down/nuke the Nanite, then the Sphere, repeat. Optionals still possible, no time wasted. Only Nanites heal, destroying optional.
Only hitting the Transformer makes it possible to heal it, so not damaging it, will help.
(And I know 99.999378% of times it gets hit by various aoe, I do it all them time)

Just because there is a "10% rule" doesn't mean everything is a mess.

And healing my enemy to buy time ... where is the sense in this?
Commander
# 7
07-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroon View Post
This is just wrong.
Popping a gen does not spam Nanite Spheres, it plops just one accompanied by a "normal" Sphere out of the Gateway. After 2 gens explode, 2 extra Spheres spawn above the Transformer (which you can even avoid aggroing by staying away).
Any player decent enough can handle this. Slow down/nuke the Nanite, then the Sphere, repeat. Optionals still possible, no time wasted. Only Nanites heal, destroying optional.
Only hitting the Transformer makes it possible to heal it, so not damaging it, will help.
(And I know 99.999378% of times it gets hit by various aoe, I do it all them time)

Just because there is a "10% rule" doesn't mean everything is a mess.

And healing my enemy to buy time ... where is the sense in this?
They may have blown more than one of them per side, I can't remember, but that's beside the point; the point was that they were intentionally making things harder, requiring us to blow more things up than before, and causing us to fail the optional...then they warped out as soon as they did that. The numerical mechanics of the mission are completely irrelevant to what I was saying.

Also, read the rest of the posts here...specifically, the one where I ended up agreeing with someone who said it was a bad idea; you're kind of beating a dead horse.

Last edited by aethon3050; 07-21-2012 at 01:35 AM.