Lt. Commander
# 11
07-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Even the cheapest games like ... I play too few of them ... Ground Control had full voice overs. In WoW you might have troubles with all those "Kill AB, bring XYZ, go to Blabla." quest spams. But if you look at sto missions, there is really not that much text in comparison.

What you keep telling me is that we should simply give up on that matter, cause Cryptic has it all figured out and understandibly cannot do anything about it.

Well, considering that I am one of the few dozen idiots, who have actually spent like 1000$ on this game so far, you might be right.

But I will keep bringing this topic up, until they do something about it...
Rihannsu
# 12
07-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah, like they said... not gonna happen. It's just too much data for the idea to be practical. Ground Control I've never played, but I can't imagine how it would have MORE text to do VO work for.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 13
07-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Or let us record our own voices, I bet any amount of voice overs done by PWE or Cryptic won't have an English accent.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Rihannsu
# 14
07-19-2012, 07:19 AM
well, that's an interesting idea.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 15
07-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
Or let us record our own voices, I bet any amount of voice overs done by PWE or Cryptic won't have an English accent.
Sadly, there are laws in place to protect professional voice actors from having legitimate jobs taken from them. It's illegal to simply grab someone off the street and ask them to just start reading off lines. Cryptic would have to compensate you for your services, which goes right back to the money issue.
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
-The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
Career Officer
# 16
07-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Rather than have the bridge officers read every dialogue box in the game, I'm suggesting simply that a few one-liners be recorded for important in-game situations, ie. your ship taking fire, raising shields, incoming transmission, 'energizing' the transporter beam when going on an away mission or when hailing your ship while away from the ship, etc. Maybe executing a few of the emergency powers could trigger a voice-over as well.

For customizing the voices, I figure that a pitch, speed and tone slider could be added, to modify the standard male/female voices, which would save having to record a more than the two voices.

As far as monetization, I'd buy a voice-over pack from the C-Store in a heart-beat.
Captain
# 17
07-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrilon View Post
Rather than have the bridge officers read every dialogue box in the game, I'm suggesting simply that a few one-liners be recorded for important in-game situations, ie. your ship taking fire, raising shields, incoming transmission, 'energizing' the transporter beam when going on an away mission or when hailing your ship while away from the ship, etc. Maybe executing a few of the emergency powers could trigger a voice-over as well.
We have that in the new fleet events. The problem though is that they're not sync'ed up with anything. They're completely random.

Sounds very out of place.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Rihannsu
# 18
07-20-2012, 05:51 PM
the freighter captains have their voice triggered by things you can't see, so it's hard to know what is up. Often it'll be a freighter on the other side of the map that you're listening to.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Rihannsu
# 19
07-20-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm glad bridge officers don't speak, the majority of the voice acting in STO is poor.
Lt. Commander
# 20 Turn it off
07-21-2012, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobbiec View Post
I'm glad bridge officers don't speak, the majority of the voice acting in STO is poor.
Players should be able to turn off voice overs. But there are those who like me who prefer poor voice acting over no voice acting at all.