Lt. Commander
# 21 Workarounds
07-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrilon View Post
Rather than have the bridge officers read every dialogue box in the game, I'm suggesting simply that a few one-liners be recorded for important in-game situations, ie. your ship taking fire, raising shields, incoming transmission, 'energizing' the transporter beam when going on an away mission or when hailing your ship while away from the ship, etc. Maybe executing a few of the emergency powers could trigger a voice-over as well.

For customizing the voices, I figure that a pitch, speed and tone slider could be added, to modify the standard male/female voices, which would save having to record a more than the two voices.

As far as monetization, I'd buy a voice-over pack from the C-Store in a heart-beat.
You could even go all the distance and take snippets from the TV shows and movies and merge them "smoothly" together.

The other option might be to register Cryptic as a non-American company. Would that protect them from the Hollywood union? All this licensing and union stuff is just a vile dictatorship!
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
Players should be able to turn off voice overs. But there are those who like me who prefer poor voice acting over no voice acting at all.
You seriously think that Operation Gamma (or any of the missions with whoever it is voicing Eraun) were improved by having that whiny, melodramatic troglodyte reading off a few lines?

He wouldnt even make it into a D-grade movie. And you want more?

Anyway, I definitely agree with the first sentence there. In fact, we need a way to reliably skip *all* cut-scenes (IE, press ESC and it skips all the way through). There isnt a single one in the game worth even hearing about third-hand.
Rihannsu
# 23
07-21-2012, 09:09 AM
hehe.... I've seen worse in d-grade movies...

Eraun's VA wasn't horrible.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 24
07-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Any flaws in Eraun were overshadowed by the awful Founder voice.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drasketo View Post
You seriously think that Operation Gamma (or any of the missions with whoever it is voicing Eraun) were improved by having that whiny, melodramatic troglodyte reading off a few lines?

He wouldnt even make it into a D-grade movie. And you want more?
Yes I do. Otherwise I would have to read it out loud to take the story seriously. This makes me feel like a nerd. Well, maybe I am a nerd, but not that nerdy.

Besides nothing can be worse than Kai Wynn's voice on DS9. That casting was so horrible. You just loathe that woman. Hmmm...looking from that perspective... the casting was perfect. You are supposed to hate her right?

Last edited by gong1fu1panda; 07-21-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
07-22-2012, 02:09 PM
As I have said before in posts about this:

Would I like STO to be fully voiced like TOR?? Yes, but Cryptic does simply not have those kind of resources available to them.

TOR has many famous people doing VO including:

Tom Kane, Narrator for The Clone Wars
The guy who does the voice of Snake from the Metal Gear games
The one who voices Ahsoka Tano, also from the Clone Wars
The guy who voices Nathan Drake from the Drakes Fortune games (Nolan North i think)

And probably the most famous is Anthony "C-3PO" Daniels from ALL the SW movies..

And a plethora of others doing VO.

I can't even start to even imagine how much the VO's alone cost for TOR, but it must have been quite a lot that went into that alone.

So, whilst it would indeed be very nice to have more and not professinal VO's for STO, the costs would be as I mentioned, way to high for Cryptic to even consider doing.

But I do think that will see more VO's in future missions, be they regular or hopefully new Featured Episodes..
Rihannsu
# 27
07-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
You just loathe that woman. Hmmm...looking from that perspective... the casting was perfect. You are supposed to hate her right?
Oh god yes, you love to hate Kai Winn. She was pure evil, it takes a skilled actor to do that.
Career Officer
# 28
07-23-2012, 08:01 PM
The VO for the new Klingon Mission, "Alpha," was pretty darned good!
I liked it.

I am exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new civilizations in a galaxy far, far away...
With my Assault Cannon.