Captain
# 11
07-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
No, we built the super base editor even before CoV (i.e. long before the sell off)

We heard very little praise back then for the editor, and got almost nothing but complaints. Our statistics showed that only about 10% of people used the base for anything other than a quick door to teleport around the rest of the world.

All of that is one reason we've been hesitant in doing it over again. We tried a new method with Hideouts in Champions, which seemed to be met with moderate success, but took a lot of work to build.

I've heard nothing about redoing ship interiors. My personal feeling is that there should be little customization on layout. If you have an Intrepid, you get an Intrepid class layout. If you have a Defiant, you get a Defiant class layout. But I think players should have control over a few different overall styles, textures, colors, and lighting. So all Galaxy Class ships would have the same layout, but you could choose from TNG style (beige, brightly lit) or 2409 style, or random style A, B or C. etc.

However, that is just my personal feelings on the matter, no work is being done on Interiors at the moment, and havent heard of it being added to the schedule at all. Plus, all of that would be a lot of work.
dstahl mentioned customizable ship interiors will be based on technology that is being currently worked on in Neverwinter according to June's Ask Cryptic.

Quote:
Q: (Jared1701) Are there still plans to bring crafting, a working shuttle bay, and new mini games to ship interiors and if so when?

Dstahl: These items had shown up in previous Engineering Reports as designs we were discussing and wanting to put in the game, but are not currently being worked on. At this time, we are focused on Starbase interiors. Neverwinter is working on a Foundry addition to build custom interior spaces (room by room). Once this feature is done and ready, we will have the opportunity to import something similar into STO. At that time, we would consider opening up the ability for players to fully customize their own ship interiors room by room and prop by prop. That is a ways off at this point, though.
So I imagine that we will see this next year at the earliest assuming the tech is transferrable.
Rihannsu
# 12
07-22-2012, 11:56 AM
I just hope we get the rest of the big canon interiors from the TV series and movies.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
07-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
I believe the last we heard in passing was that they were thinking about some foundry like builder for the interior.
Be nice if we could have such a resource with the Foundry.

Here are some spoiler pictures of my Klacht D'Kel Bracht Mission of custom interiors that I been working on for a while:

Romulan Bridge (Looking Aft)

Romulan Bridge (Looking Fore)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/D7_class

D7 Engine Room (from TAS: More Tribbles, More Troubles)

D7 Conference Froom (from TAS: Time Trap)

There is much much more with with my D7 Custom Interior that was taken from Star Trek 6.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Commander
# 14
07-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
No, we built the super base editor even before CoV (i.e. long before the sell off)

We heard very little praise back then for the editor, and got almost nothing but complaints. Our statistics showed that only about 10% of people used the base for anything other than a quick door to teleport around the rest of the world.

All of that is one reason we've been hesitant in doing it over again. We tried a new method with Hideouts in Champions, which seemed to be met with moderate success, but took a lot of work to build.

I've heard nothing about redoing ship interiors. My personal feeling is that there should be little customization on layout. If you have an Intrepid, you get an Intrepid class layout. If you have a Defiant, you get a Defiant class layout. But I think players should have control over a few different overall styles, textures, colors, and lighting. So all Galaxy Class ships would have the same layout, but you could choose from TNG style (beige, brightly lit) or 2409 style, or random style A, B or C. etc.

However, that is just my personal feelings on the matter, no work is being done on Interiors at the moment, and havent heard of it being added to the schedule at all. Plus, all of that would be a lot of work.
Agreed! I actually think there's too much customization and I like your take but with two caveats; 1. We should also be able to choose from several styles for center seat and bridge seating & 2. If we can't choose the actual layout I'd appreciate it if the layouts were designed a bit more sensibly. Too many of them either enshrine the Capt. like an Emperor in a huge empty area in the middle or else look like someplace a ladies sewing circle might meet. The bridge needs to be a functional yet comfortable place where everyone goes to work everyday. The most comfortable and functional bridge available, now, is the TOS Enterprise bridge but the bridge from the Enterprise series was also a good layout as well as the new JJ Abrams bridge, IMO. Never cared much for the NextGen bridge, always looked, to me, too much like a bank lobby. I always thought that arch in back of Picard should be decorated with little pens on chains and Worf, smiling, asking "Would you like to open a new account, today?" - ROFL. As for the Voyager bridge... it always looked like something designed by someone's Political Action Committee on a bad day. Also most of the bridges need bigger central view screens.

It would also be nice if each basic ship style came with it's own deck layouts (crew, engineering, medical) etc. that were unique to that design. Again you could customize a bit, within limits, but the basic layout should be static for that particular class of ship.
ZOE: "Sir! You paid money for this?... on purpose??"

KIRK: "Excuse me... what does God need with a starship?"
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
07-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Quote:

I actually agree with that idea on interior layouts, it makes sense and would be far better than generic small, medium, or large. Also if you can somehow convince the guys to start work on interiors I would recommend giving the Sovereign style bridges a makeover, of all the bridges in the game they're the most offensively inaccurate, in my opinion at least.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
07-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax6996 View Post
It would also be nice if each basic ship style came with it's own deck layouts (crew, engineering, medical) etc. that were unique to that design. Again you could customize a bit, within limits, but the basic layout should be static for that particular class of ship.
Worf as a Bank Teller.

But yeah, when we were getting interiors for the first time, I was hoping they were accurate to the ships, but instead it was "one size fits all".

I would love to see us having interiors true to each ship, but realize the ammount of work hours needed would be rather lengthy for each ship type (don't need to be every single ship). Then what they told us that there would need to be a reason to justfy in focusing on ship interiors. Right now, there isn't much to do or reason to keep you on your ship more than a few minutes.

They did a great job with the TOS interior and the Defiant / Belfast Interior. I could see them doing the same for other ships as well. They don't need to map the entire ship, but like the show focus to certain decks.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Banned
# 17
07-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Quote:

Not to mention(what a ridiculous saying) the fact that the more customizable interiors are, the less likely they will ever be used in any kind of mission or content.
Lieutenant
# 18
07-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Quote:

Thank you for giving us an update. Its dissapointing to hear though that no work is being done at the moment. I would have thought with the amount of people asking for it that it would be profitable to build the interiors despite it being time consuming.
Career Officer
# 19
07-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Just for the record, I loved the base editor in CoH. I spent a lot of time upgrading and rearranging it to my delight.
SUBSCRIBE to Priority One:
PRIORITYONEPODCAST.COM
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE ZMacGirthy
Captain
# 20
07-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmacg View Post
Just for the record, I loved the base editor in CoH. I spent a lot of time upgrading and rearranging it to my delight.
I agree. Some bases were amazing and you can tell who actually spent lots of time on it and had talent compared to those that just threw stuff everywhere.