Career Officer
# 11
07-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Fleet Vessels:
You get 1 more console, a bit of extra hull and shields, and have to spend up to $20 for a ship for 1 character. If you got $20 to waste on one, go for it. But if you don't get one you're not missing that much.

I was excited about them till I learned about those Fleet Ship Modules and that buying/unlocking one only gets you one for a single toon. $20 is alot to spend for 1 extra console slot.

There are good fleets out there. Some want you to participate in fleet things, others don't give a rat's arse what you do. But all will let you grind out Fleet Marks to advance their starbase! Marks aren't the fastest way to get your Fleet Credits, but you can do it, and that queue in the project's demand list is the last one to get filled cause you gotta grind them out 10-20 at a time.

And remember, Fleet Credits are yours not the fleets'. You can leave a fleet whenever you want and find another; you'll still have your Fleet Credits on your Assets page.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Last edited by dracounguis; 07-22-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 12
07-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabohac View Post
Can one acquire a fleet vessel without beeing in a fleet? I am wondering because the qin fleet seems more powerful than the normal qin heavy raptor which makes the normal one obsolete? Can someone please shed light on this topic?
I'd realy like the fleet ship if it's stronger but I'm not in a fleet. wtf crypric?
you must be member of a fleet and contribute to build the base...
Ensign
# 13
07-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post
It's no more discriminatory than having to be a certain level to get a ship, or having to have a computer and Internet connection to play. Are you suggesting that it's discriminatory that even though it's a free game, someone without a computer or stable internet connection can't play it? Of course not - just because there are (low) barriers to something does not make it discriminatory.

Besides making your own fleet, I know there are fleets out there that formed solely for the purpose of each person doing their own thing, but just being able to get to the point of getting the ships a bit faster - they don't actually do anything together, or talk to each other, just contribute to the projects to level the fleet so they can get their ships and leave. You could always join one of those.
It was actualy a joke. Your extrapolations are a little to twisted for me to follow, unfortunately...
Anyhow it is not my intention to participate in anything fleety in this game and thus I can't get the ship. The (low) barrier is just (to high) for me to (jump) over. For me STO was always a one man thing, where I can slip away from 15 years of leading a clan and so on. Don't get so annoyed, live long and prosper.
Career Officer
# 14
07-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Eh, don't just think of it as a "better ship only available to Fleets", think of it as "$20 plus contributions for (pretty much) an extra console slot".

They're more powerful, yeah, but not by much, and you still gotta shell out the (real world) money.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Career Officer
# 15
07-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
As if buying a spot is going to do you any good... Fleet Marks and Fleet Credits are not transferable, so you have to grind for these items regardless, and only Fleet members are allowed to grind for them...
Nevertheless, the original question is valid. For instance, I have enough Fleet Credits (or soon enough will have). And I was asking myself the same question today: whether, say, Tier 5 fleets will emerge that will allow you to join, for a day or so (and for a fee), so you can buy a Tier 5 ship with the Fleet Credit you grinded (elsewhere), and then re-join your previous, non-Tier 5 yet corp.
Captain
# 16
07-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyama317 View Post
You need 5 people on your team, all on the same map, and none of the members can be a free to play account.
Untrue. Someone with a Free to Play account can create a fleet. You just have to meet certain basic and simple requirements.

Link: Features Matrix
Quote:
Create a Fleet (Guild): Gold: Unlimited Access -- Free to Play: Limited
Quote:
Limit goes away when any of the following is met: 20 hours of aggregate play across all characters, account has ever had a subscription, account carries a ZEN balance, account has made a C-Store purchase.

Last edited by linyive; 07-23-2012 at 10:56 AM.