Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
# 11
07-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight0001 View Post
I got the impression that the Ferasans started manipulating there DNA and the Catians split off wanting no part of it.
[...].
That's an interesting twist... any sources?
Ensign
# 12
07-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Actually Caitians also showed up in at least one of the TOS movies.

TAS had a few things about their history too.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Caitian
The brown "Caitian" looks more like a Kzin, but M'ress claimed they were related so I could see a few Caitians looking like that. The black one... I'm not sure what he really is, but he looks more like a bat than anything else. I don't think either was actually confirmed as a Caitian in-universe.

STO's history of the Caitians doesn't line up with anything that's been done before either. It's an interesting take, but I find it kind of odd.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
07-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
That's an interesting twist... any sources?
Yes playing the Klingon version of the chain.

Looking it up on STO wiki, I can't find the right pages. If somebody can link it who can navigate that site better than me. Or simply post the text from the chain.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Community Moderator
# 14
07-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubelle View Post
The brown "Caitian" looks more like a Kzin, but M'ress claimed they were related so I could see a few Caitians looking like that. The black one... I'm not sure what he really is, but he looks more like a bat than anything else. I don't think either was actually confirmed as a Caitian in-universe.

STO's history of the Caitians doesn't line up with anything that's been done before either. It's an interesting take, but I find it kind of odd.
There's a necessary retcon of the Caitians related to the fact that the Kzinti are not licensed for Star Trek... they're a creation of Larry Niven's that was used only for TAS.

Since STO doesn't have permission to use the Kzinti, we have Ferasans. And since Ferasans are a STO creation, the background story can be whatever the heck they like.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Ensign
# 15
07-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
There's a necessary retcon of the Caitians related to the fact that the Kzinti are not licensed for Star Trek... they're a creation of Larry Niven's that was used only for TAS.

Since STO doesn't have permission to use the Kzinti, we have Ferasans. And since Ferasans are a STO creation, the background story can be whatever the heck they like.
Way off point. Read the reference material that the STOwiki links to, Memory Alpha and Memory Beta (no whining about canon, most of what we know about Caitians in the "normal" universe comes from books).

I think you'll find that the "Ferasans" and the "Caitians" are actually the same species, with "Ferasa" actually being "Cait". STO is the only place using Caitians (that I've been to) where this isn't true.

Like I said, it's an interesting take. But I personally think they should have used a different name since the Caitians call themselves Ferasans.
Rihannsu
# 16
07-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Hehe... well duh... it's basically the same as the Vulcan/Romulan/Debrune split. But the Ferasans went one step further and used genetic tinkering to enhance themselves.

and the books are NOT canon unless Gene or Larry said so. :p Wait.... what other games have the Caitians been in? I don't remember any.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Community Moderator
# 17
07-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubelle View Post
Way off point. Read the reference material that the STOwiki links to, Memory Alpha and Memory Beta (no whining about canon, most of what we know about Caitians in the "normal" universe comes from books).

I think you'll find that the "Ferasans" and the "Caitians" are actually the same species, with "Ferasa" actually being "Cait". STO is the only place using Caitians (that I've been to) where this isn't true.

Like I said, it's an interesting take. But I personally think they should have used a different name since the Caitians call themselves Ferasans.
Since the books aren't licensed either, I fail to see the relevance.

STO deviated from existing works to create their Ferasans, and tinkered with their version of the Caitians along the way. No argument there.

Since they did, and since they had to do so in any case, and since they probably have the blessing of CBS to do what they did, I think this is something we are simply going to have to accept.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lieutenant
# 18
07-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Since the books aren't licensed either, I fail to see the relevance.

STO deviated from existing works to create their Ferasans, and tinkered with their version of the Caitians along the way. No argument there.

Since they did, and since they had to do so in any case, and since they probably have the blessing of CBS to do what they did, I think this is something we are simply going to have to accept.
Caitians were written up for FASA Star Trek's RPG supplement Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. It was a very interesting read that jettisoned the Kzin due to Niven owning them.
Star Trek: Majestic producer, writer, set designer, and other hats.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
07-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Male Caitians will, most of the time, kill, and sometimes, even partially, eat, their rival's cubs.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-27-2012, 02:05 PM
We also know that it took them only 800 years to forget literally everything about their own history, where their homeworld was, all of it.

Losers.