Lt. Commander
Wish you could hang out with Cryptic fans all day? Can't get enough of the community? Want to spend time with your favorite developers? Join us on the GameSurge IRC network all day, every day! Talk about the upcoming launch of Champions Online in the #championsonline channel, or discuss what your favorite Star Trek faction is in the #STO channel! Don't know how to join IRC? Keep reading!

The easiest way to connect to IRC is through GameSurge's client at:
-http://gamesurge.net/chat/

Once connected, you can choose your nickname by typing, "/nick <nickname>". From there, you can join any of our channels by typing, "/join <channel>". Our current list of channels are:
-#STO
-#championsonline

Don't forget the # symbol!

See you there!

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Love the access the devs grant this community.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-04-2009, 12:01 PM
So are our nicks now protected on gamesurge? As in no one can come in the channel when we're not there impersonating us and possibly causing a whole bunch of drama because of it, or getting us in trouble with Crytic in some way?

I just want to be very careful is all, I hope that's understood.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Nice one Daeke 51 in there a moment ago, as good as a Trivia day. Exciting times.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
So are our nicks now protected on gamesurge? As in no one can come in the channel when we're not there impersonating us and possibly causing a whole bunch of drama because of it, or getting us in trouble with Crytic in some way?

I just want to be very careful is all, I hope that's understood.
All Cryptic employees are protected Hagon. We have an arrangement with the IRCOPS on gamesurge that they have a specific identifiable hostmask and are added manually to the Channel bot so that they can NEVER be impersonated. The one guy who did this before was banned from the room permanently.

This is why Daeke and others here feel safe to announce that its good to hang out there and talk. Communities build MMOs as I'm sure you know.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Yes, all of Cryptic has been set up with custom hostmasks, which means when you type "/whois Cryptic_Daeke" you should see that I'm connected as Daeke.crypticstudios.gamesurge. If that's not what it says, then it's not me.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-04-2009, 12:53 PM
That's real cool, I'll probably drop in from time to time. I might be quiet, though. =P
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleum View Post

All Cryptic employees are protected Hagon. We have an arrangement with the IRCOPS on gamesurge that they have a specific identifiable hostmask and are added manually to the Channel bot so that they can NEVER be impersonated. The one guy who did this before was banned from the room permanently.

This is why Daeke and others here feel safe to announce that its good to hang out there and talk. Communities build MMOs as I'm sure you know.
I mean protection of our nicks mate, sorry if I didn't make that clear. If not it'll be pretty easy for someone to come in the channel and impersonate anyone, and possibly cause a lot of drama and possibly other issues.

It's actually why I quit coming in the channel and let some know that if they saw my nick it was definitely not me, just so I had that backed up.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
We have 62 in here right now. I've never seen so many. It's going to be absolute chaos during the Trivia contest!
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeke
Yes, all of Cryptic has been set up with custom hostmasks, which means when you type "/whois Cryptic_Daeke" you should see that I'm connected as Daeke.crypticstudios.gamesurge. If that's not what it says, then it's not me.

Is it possible to get Cryptic Names and chat in a different color, so it stands out more?