Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 11
07-04-2012, 05:58 AM
I posted this on the other version of your thread, so I'll just add it in here...

Warp Core Potential is NOT something you should be relying on for your shields. The way that warp core potential works is:

power boost = (warp core potential stat / 20)

At level 6, the stat (assuming no modifiers, e.g. the Warp Theorist trait) is at 84. Thus, 84 / 20 = 4.2. This boost is for every system. At level 9, the stat is 99, and the boost is 4.95 for every system.

Warp core potential is an important stat and should be spec'd to at least level 6 for EVERY captain, IMO. However, for specific system power, the skill you really want to spec into is the Performance skill, e.g. Shield Performance. With this, the calculation is different:

power boost = (performance / 10)

As such, let's say you spec up to level 6 (84) into Shield Performance. Thus, you get +8.4 out of that particular skill. At level 9, you get +9.9 extra points of shield power. Altogether, you get twice as much out of a performance skill for a specific function as you do out of warp core potential for the same stat.

Myself, I try to spec up to level 6 in all performance skills, but if you want strong shields, warp core potential, while quite important for both the shield and overall, should not be the cornerstone of your power strategy, the shield performance skill should be.
Captain
# 12
07-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustrumridcully0 View Post
I seem to remember that Star Cruiser and Assault Cruiser are identical in impulse modifier and inertia.

I didn't know Chevron Seperation would affect defense rating on its own. That's interesting. 10 % defense is a pretty good deal, I think.
Given that I haven't actually flown my Odyssey in months, I've just logged back onto the Live Servers, swapped one of my Engineers back to a Tac Ody and checked things.

Currently the aforementioned Tac Ody build currently requires a power setting of 70 or higher after buffs in order to hit 24 Impulse, (that's using the Borg Engines without any other speed buffs active). When seperated, I can't get the engine speed to go below 25 Impulse (so leaving my engine power setting slider at a raw setting of 25 when seperated appears quite sufficient to hit the cap). However whenever the saucer is seperated the cap now remains at 70% defence rather than jumping up to 80%.

The latter was DEFINITELY 10% higher back whenever the Ody variants first hit the live servers, because when I first noticed it I built a broadsiding "Tank" BOFF setup around it. However it looks like the extra defence buff must have been unintentional, and has since been silently "fixed". Drat...

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Captain
# 13
07-06-2012, 08:33 PM
are you running all three consoles?
Career Officer
# 14
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I kinda had the same thing, I used a torp and 3 DBBs fore on my Assault Cruiser. But the whale that is the Oddy isn't really great for that setup, I've found. You can't get your fore out of fire fast enough before they nuke you. I've switched to 3 BAs and a torp in the fore. Doing the Ye Olde Circle where my shield facing is changed every few seconds while I fire 6 BAs, or 3 BAs + Q.torp when the fore or aft is facing the target, let's me do decent damage and keep a fresh shield facing the fire.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Career Officer
# 15
07-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I've found that with the 3-pack's console set bonus, coupled with setting combat speed to 1/2 or 2/3 impulse, my turn rate is good enough to fire my fore torpedoes and swing around to fire my aft torpedoes.

I haven't counted the time yet but the whole turn takes roughly 6 or so seconds. I'll need to check when I get home.

EDIT: Yeah, okay. 6 seconds is a pipe dream. Closer to around 14 seconds, but for a VA cruiser that's impressive, and quite possibly rivals the Assault Cruiser's turn rate.

Last edited by matridunadan1; 07-11-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Captain
# 16
07-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I think the science variant is superior to tactical one. Sensor Analysis is much more better than single tac console - except for quick initial spikes.

So in usual PVE (STF) environment where you can stack whole analysis buff you get +33% dmg for all your weapons. So it basically acts as 1,5 console for both energy and torpedo weapons. On top of that, it improves subsystem targeting if someone uses that. So in the end you have something like 3,5 energy tac consoles and 1,5 torp consoles.

So comparing Tac to Sci variant, the Sci does more dmg and has extra sci console slot.

If I had 4k CP point and the ship had alternate skins (this one is ugly) I would fly my tactical human officer in Science Odyssey with lt.cmd tactical used and with chevron separation.
Captain
# 17
07-25-2012, 12:16 PM
It is not a weal ship compined with ops saucer separate it does very well with the tac and ops console.
Ensign
# 18
07-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Something I have noticed, much to my dismay because it was sort of a selling point for me, is that I am reduced to a skeleton crew on my Tac Odyssey as fast if not faster than on my Sovereign - a ship with 1/3 the crew of the Odyssey. This is all things being equal in terms of consoles used. That to me seems like a bug. The larger crew on this so-called 'battleship' should = a longer period before the ship's captain has to veer off away from the conflict so the crew can recover sufficiently to repair the ship.