Ensign
# 1 Different type of sto
07-25-2012, 06:49 PM
This may only be kind of related to sto but i could find a better place. I was just wondering even though it wont happen, what people thought about this idea. If anyone has played eve then you know its totally controlled by the players, they determine what happens through and through. I was thinking about what if that type of game play was incorporated into a star trek online type game. Basically in the star trek universe like sto but with no episodes just player controlled. The "nations" or "factions" could be the fleets we have now or they could just be the Federation, Klingon etc although i find players controlling everything about the federation difficult to understand, i mean it would be pretty boring to players controlling the intelligence and blah blah blah all that other stuff. In eve there are corporations which are basically just giant trade alliances with huge fleets of armed warships. It seems like a nice idea, players controlling everything in the game or at least most of what happens and simple small decisions can lead to major consequences.
Ensign
# 2
07-25-2012, 06:54 PM
I've found that when you open things up to the masses you get far too many people with the brain power of Bevis and Butthead making decisions about the game.

We have an area for suggestions and I think that's as far as that should go.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
The issue is that the game has been designed as an Amusement Park, not a Sandbox like EvE. The game would need to be redesigned from the ground up so it would never happen. Besides what's in it ($) for Cryptic/PWE?
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Career Officer
# 4
07-25-2012, 07:03 PM
That wouldn't be a STO I'd be interested in.
Joined August 2008
Captain
# 5
07-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Most people want to play STO because they want a Trek experience. Constant PvP pew-pewing isn't much of a Trek experience, IMO. When you take the Trek tropes out of it there's not much reason to play Trek. We might as well be playing Eve.
Ensign
# 6
07-25-2012, 11:32 PM
See? I was stating an idea that i had didnt think it would anywhere but was just looking for opinions. Thanks, i hadnt thought about the trek experience that sto offers and how it would be lost. Alright that idea is scrapped.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-25-2012, 11:43 PM
It is a thought-provoking idea, indeed. As others have stated however, the "Star Trek Feel" would be lost. To me, "Star Trek" is not about controlling the outcome of the Universe, instead it is about enjoying the ride, exploring the Universe, and experiencing the story and lore that permeates from everything Star Trek. Unfortunately, I am already loosing the "Star Trek Feel" from the constant and repetitive daily dilithium grind. Far too much costs Dilithium now and with Starbases costing an arm and a leg, it is getting worse and worse at a much more rapid scale.

[ Raptr ] [ @zebular | Join Date: Dec 2007 | @Captain_Ralubez ] [ BIOs ]