Ensign
# 1 STO and Overheating
07-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Hey Guys, I don't know if this is right here, but I have ran into a problem with STO: I have an old PC, Core2Duo E7400 and ASUS P5KPL Motherboard, but the GTX 550ti. In Germany, its summer now , and because of that I realized something after two system crashes: My On-Board graphics Chip activates itself when playing STO and, how could it be different, overheats the whole Mainboard after some time, and my PC shuts down without hesitation. So, do you have any Idea how to avoid this?
Career Officer
# 2
07-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Check your BIOS. You can usually disable on board video chips from there.

~ I don't want the world... I just want your half!
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
07-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Hey ensignkes,

Try taking the cover off your hard drive and leave it open and buy a cheap table fan to blow directly into it and that should solve your over heating problem that shut down your system.

Capt Zab Judah
Ensign
# 4
07-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Make sure to check the intake and exhaust vents on your computer case and clean them if they have become clogged. Also cutting power to the pc and gently cleaning any dust buildup on the fan blades of any cooling fans will help with circulation.

Before making any drastic changes, a look around for a bit of cleaning and maintenance will go a long way.
Republic Veteran
# 5
07-25-2012, 09:59 AM
I was having the same issue. I play on a Toshibe Satellite laptop. I had played the game for about a year without a problem. Then, all of a sudden, my LT started shutting down. I bought a cooling pad and it helped...for a while. I now run the cooling pad with the cover to my memory sticks off so the air gets pushed directly into the machine. Works like a champ and the machine stays very cool. Just have to stop every now a then to clean it out.
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Career Officer
# 6
07-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I have a similar problem, STO makes my cards BURN. Burn like nothing else. No other game I have makes my cards burn like this. I cleaned out my case and did everything that I could find to help reduce the heat, but nothing worked. My cards would get so hot that they would drop the game down from 60 fps to 20 until the temps went back down. I'm told that's some sort of built in safety feature. During that time I would get all sorts of white triangles popping up all over the screen. I went back through some very old archived posts and found a solution that worked for me.

It turns out that you can limit the max FPS in game with a /command in the chatbox. Some posts from way back indicated that setting a lower max FPS might help with cooling issues. Type "/maxfps" without the quotes into the chatbox to see the max limit that the game is running at. Since I had Vsync on, it was at 60. To lower the cap I typed in "/maxfps 55". That set the FPS cap at 55. My cards still run hot, but they aren't burning anymore. I also don't get anymore FPS drops or the white triangles all over my screen. You could try limiting your max FPS like that and see how it works. You can set the cap to whatever you want, just happens that 55 seems to work for me. Might be worth a shot.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Ensign
# 7
07-25-2012, 10:35 AM
I will try, but it isnt the card, it is running with 75% cooler power and keeping @ 40-50 ?C. It is the integrated graphics, which aren't cooled by anything that gets so damm hot...
Career Officer
# 8
07-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Ohh sorry I misread. In that case I'd do what woody898 said. Can disable the on board graphics entirely from your BIOS.

Although I'm jealous of your card temps. STO makes mine run at 100-110 degrees.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Career Officer
# 9
07-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captzabjudah View Post
Hey ensignkes,

Try taking the cover off your hard drive and leave it open and buy a cheap table fan to blow directly into it and that should solve your over heating problem that shut down your system.

Capt Zab Judah

This isn't 4chan.......
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?

Ensign
# 10
07-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Yeah, the BIOS says it is totally inactive, thats the problem