Ensign
# 1 dont have a clue
07-26-2012, 05:21 AM
i realy dont have a clue about this game, i just DL and went and played, thought it would be along same lines as WOW. I am level 6 now, got 3 bridge officers and done some missions, what i dont know and need knowledge of all is what equipment is better than what i havem is a beam better than a plasma or laser, that sort of thing, any good threads to get me started on or just post my newbie questions as i come along them?

thanks in advance
Captain
# 2
07-26-2012, 05:50 AM
As with any MMO, there is a an equipment and powers learning curve that you have to go through. A greeat place to start would be to just ask your fellow players, send a shout out in a social zone, like Earth Space Dock or DS9.

Or you can join a good fleet and have the pool of knowledge of other players. With a fleet you can sit and ask long winded questions, compare builds, and even get help constructing your own build.

There is also the STOwiki, which is the wikipedia page specifici to the STO enviornement. http://www.stowiki.org/Main_Page This is great for comparing powers, abilities, ships, cooldowns, and very basic information. Not so much to tell you which one to use, but what every button in this game does.
Captain
# 3
07-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeto13 View Post
As with any MMO, there is a an equipment and powers learning curve that you have to go through. A greeat place to start would be to just ask your fellow players, send a shout out in a social zone, like Earth Space Dock or DS9.
They're a new player. They can't until they've played for 20 hours. (Just as a fyi: /played in the zone chat field at the lower left will show you how many hours you've played)

To be honest though, I just played with the normal equipment for most of the missions until I reached about level 45 or so. Never even promoted my bridge officers. Granted one of them drinks to an excess now because of that....

When you head over to stowiki, search for damage type. There's a long article on the different weapons, both spaces and ground, and what each one is good for. I think most players just pick a single type and stick with it though.

Good luck and welcome to sto
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Career Officer
# 4
07-26-2012, 09:57 AM
I have a question for you. What career choice did you make? that can have an effect on equip you want to use (ie. cannons for tac and so on) I prefer disruptor damage. My biggest suggestion is that you use only one type of energy damage on your ship.
---
NightWatcher stood here since 2008. Now he has become NightWatcher666 because the account merger I couldn't keep the name I've used for four years.
Five@Nightwatcher Unitary for the fleet Collective est. Jan 2010
[<a href=http://www.gageous.deviantart.com] target=_blank>http://www.gageous.deviantart.com]</a>
Career Officer
# 5
07-26-2012, 10:01 AM
No real advice to offer as such, but I will say that visiting the forums was a good move, and a great place to start.

I only wish more newcomers would do the same!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Captain
# 6
07-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
They're a new player. They can't until they've played for 20 hours. (Just as a fyi: /played in the zone chat field at the lower left will show you how many hours you've played)
*facepalms* forgot about that... Thanks for pointing that out.

But yeah, since you can level up so fast in this game, you really dont need to worry a whole lot about your gear until you hit endgame anyways. If the Mobs are killing you faster then you can kill them, Switch up your gear and promote your boffs
Career Officer
# 7
07-26-2012, 10:05 AM
As a lietenant I went with Disruptor but here are my loadouts.
Sci: Dual beam bank, photon torp(front)disruptor beam array(rear)
Tac: Dual beam bank, dual heavy cannon(front) turret(rear) also rapid fire cannons or beam array overload are critical to the beginnings of this build.
Eng: beam array front and rear quantum torp front
---
NightWatcher stood here since 2008. Now he has become NightWatcher666 because the account merger I couldn't keep the name I've used for four years.
Five@Nightwatcher Unitary for the fleet Collective est. Jan 2010
[<a href=http://www.gageous.deviantart.com] target=_blank>http://www.gageous.deviantart.com]</a>
Captain
# 8
07-26-2012, 10:19 AM
As far as weapon choices go, it is the same as WoW, like you guessed.

After all, in WoW, which is the better weapon, a mace or a sword?

Like in WoW, the informaton is also there in the tooltips.

If you were to compare a phaser beam array and a disruptor beam array of the same rarity and mark, you'd see the stats are the same except for the proc, and which you use is a matter of personal preference.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Ensign
# 9
07-26-2012, 10:39 AM
thanks for all the replys off to do some reading now, to the poster who asked career path i picked tactical.

thanks again all