Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Hello all! Hope everyone is doing good. I have been away from the game for awhile due to real life issues and health problems, just came out of the hospital recently. I have been looking forward to playing Star Trek Online and I can't get over how much has changed. The game runs a lot smoother for me and it is really nice to see that the population has really grown.

I have been playing for a couple of days now but I am still a bit lost in all the changes and I am trying to catch up, lol. I don't have a high level character, just my first one which is a rank Commander (25) Engineer. I have been thinking about starting a new character, one reason is because I am not sure if I still want to play an Engineer. I kind of like the Science role a bit better since they can debuff the enemy, also it is similar to a class I play in a different mmo. Only downside is that I have about 40,000 Dilithium (no idea where that came from), 11,000 GPL and about 1,500 points in R&D. So I am a bit hesitant to just start fresh and lose out on the perks my first character has.

Anyway, glad to be able to play again. I am really glad I decided to get the Lifetime sub back when the game first came out, it feels like it was worth it. I am really looking forward to what the future will bring to Star Trek Online.

Live long and prosper,
David

EDIT: I apologize to the moderator of the forums, I did not realize that I posted this in the wrong forum section.

Last edited by mobilesuit89; 07-26-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 637
# 2
07-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilesuit89 View Post
I have been playing for a couple of days now but I am still a bit lost in all the changes and I am trying to catch up, lol. I don't have a high level character, just my first one which is a rank Commander (25) Engineer. I have been thinking about starting a new character, one reason is because I am not sure if I still want to play an Engineer. I kind of like the Science role a bit better since they can debuff the enemy, also it is similar to a class I play in a different mmo. Only downside is that I have about 40,000 Dilithium (no idea where that came from), 11,000 GPL and about 1,500 points in R&D. So I am a bit hesitant to just start fresh and lose out on the perks my first character has.




Howdy. Welcome back. I am glad that you are enjoying yourself. (^_^)

How far back did you leave? Because if it was waaaaay back when, the Dilithium could have come from when they were switching out Marks and Emblems for Dilithium.

As for changing Character Classes, that is entirely up to you. I play a Science as my main but I use an Engineer as an alt. I also tried Tactical, but I did not care much for them.

Anyway, the Engineer gets better when you Rank up. They get some good Tanking Skills like 'Miracle Worker' and can summon Exocomps. Since you are already half way there, you could just spend three or four casual playing days and max-out your Engineer's rank and see if you like him better then.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
# 3
07-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslyn View Post
Howdy. Welcome back. I am glad that you are enjoying yourself. (^_^)

How far back did you leave? Because if it was waaaaay back when, the Dilithium could have come from when they were switching out Marks and Emblems for Dilithium.

As for changing Character Classes, that is entirely up to you. I play a Science as my main but I use an Engineer as an alt. I also tried Tactical, but I did not care much for them.

Anyway, the Engineer gets better when you Rank up. They get some good Tanking Skills like 'Miracle Worker' and can summon Exocomps. Since you are already half way there, you could just spend three or four casual playing days and max-out your Engineer's rank and see if you like him better then.
Thank you for replying to my thread!

So that is where the Dilithium came from, that makes sense.

I am the same way with the Tactical class, I don't usually play full on DPS in mmorpg's. I like to hang back and support the other players and harm the enemy through debuffs.

I didn't think about that, I was unsure what the level cap was. It might be a good idea if I go ahead and max level my Engineer, at least that way I can make whatever gear my Science officer would need and I would not have to start over in crafting again.

Thank you again for the reply, it gives me something to think about while at work.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,885
# 4
07-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Science makes the best tanks on ground, engineers are hybrids, and tacticals are pure DPS with little to no survivability.

In space, science is just debuff, debuff, debuff with a few handy abilities (Subnucleonic Beam will disable any really tough PvP opponent, Sensor Scan can debuff damage resistance on a target and buff your detection, etc.), engineers are slow, undamaging, tanks, (Miracle Worker does as the name says - it practically brings you back from the dead! EPS Power Transfer is a nice power buff, very handy on a Science Vessel with Emergency Power to Auxiliary, as you'll usually hit max power on both weapons and auxiliary systems.), and tacticals are again pure DPS. However in space, tacticals have a little more survivability due to their boff powers (typically you'll at least have Engineering Team and stuff like that, even on Escorts, whilst on ground your only healing comes from unreliable allies and slow-cooling hypos - that's why if I can't kill the enemy with my first attack, I prefer the Medic kit from my science character over the straight DPS from the Operative kit on my tactical.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 110
# 5
07-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
Science makes the best tanks on ground, engineers are hybrids, and tacticals are pure DPS with little to no survivability.
That is an opinion....

I have seen in some STF's and now on of the new fleet task forces, where many people come all geared up with science stuff and eng stuff and they keep dying.

Here I go on my little retrofit defiant all tactical and 95% of the times, I neve die.

oh, and no, I do not run away from the battle, unless I see those good science and engs captains not willing to trow me some heal buffs. Hell sometimes I need to send a eng team to them to keep them alive.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,885
# 6
07-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar1972 View Post
That is an opinion....

I have seen in some STF's and now on of the new fleet task forces, where many people come all geared up with science stuff and eng stuff and they keep dying.

Here I go on my little retrofit defiant all tactical and 95% of the times, I neve die.

oh, and no, I do not run away from the battle, unless I see those good science and engs captains not willing to trow me some heal buffs. Hell sometimes I need to send a eng team to them to keep them alive.
You didn't read the massive wall of text describing their space performance, did you... On ground, tacticals are pure DPS with little to no survivability. In space, however, they can hold their own. Of course, skill level is EXTREMELY important to determining just how well you can survive
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
# 7
07-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
Science makes the best tanks on ground, engineers are hybrids, and tacticals are pure DPS with little to no survivability.

In space, science is just debuff, debuff, debuff with a few handy abilities (Subnucleonic Beam will disable any really tough PvP opponent, Sensor Scan can debuff damage resistance on a target and buff your detection, etc.), engineers are slow, undamaging, tanks, (Miracle Worker does as the name says - it practically brings you back from the dead! EPS Power Transfer is a nice power buff, very handy on a Science Vessel with Emergency Power to Auxiliary, as you'll usually hit max power on both weapons and auxiliary systems.), and tacticals are again pure DPS. However in space, tacticals have a little more survivability due to their boff powers (typically you'll at least have Engineering Team and stuff like that, even on Escorts, whilst on ground your only healing comes from unreliable allies and slow-cooling hypos - that's why if I can't kill the enemy with my first attack, I prefer the Medic kit from my science character over the straight DPS from the Operative kit on my tactical.)
Thank you for taking the time to post.

I figured that the Engineer is the "jack-of-all-trades" type of class, I think that is the reason I chose one in the first place. Plus I liked that the Engineer ships are the Cruisers like the Constitution, Galaxy, Excelsior etc., I just really like the style of those ships. Another thing I like about the Engineer is that they get a lot of tools such as Shields, Healing beacon, drones etc. which again goes along with them feeling like a "Hybrid" class.

Again thank you for the post, it really helps me think about what I want to do in the game. I just wish I could race change my character, I have a Liberated Borg as my Engineer but I would rather have a Vulcan since they are really my most favorite race.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 637
# 8
07-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilesuit89 View Post
Thank you for replying to my thread!

So that is where the Dilithium came from, that makes sense.

I am the same way with the Tactical class, I don't usually play full on DPS in mmorpg's. I like to hang back and support the other players and harm the enemy through debuffs.

I didn't think about that, I was unsure what the level cap was. It might be a good idea if I go ahead and max level my Engineer, at least that way I can make whatever gear my Science officer would need and I would not have to start over in crafting again.

Thank you again for the reply, it gives me something to think about while at work.



You are welcome for the reply.

I know what you mean about playing Support types. Those are my preferred classes as well. That was why I chose a Science class the first time. I hampered myself with that one, though. From an RP standpoint, my character is a Doctor that cheated her way through Starfleet Medical. So until Cryptic revamped the Skill Tree a few months ago, she had zero points in Medical skills. She was a craptastic Doctor but when people would randomly read her Bio when I was out-n-about and comment on it, I could tell them that. She was good for a laugh.

So that was where your Dilithium came from, huh? Ah, you were gone for a long time, then. Sadly, that means that you will not like the Crafting anymore. It now costs tons of Dilithium for each item in addition to gathering resources. It is expensive. Doubly so when you consider that Dilithium has a real-life money value attached to it. It is prohibitively expensive. I used to do a lot of Crafting myself. When people would ask after certain equipment on the forums or on the in-game chat, I used to offer to craft a piece for them free-of-charge. I can't do that anymore. I can't even Craft for MYSELF these days. It bites.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
In space, science is just debuff, debuff, debuff with a few handy abilities (Subnucleonic Beam will disable any really tough PvP opponent, Sensor Scan can debuff damage resistance on a target and buff your detection, etc.),



And Photonic Fleet. Can't overlook that one. Actually, I think that it unlocks during the same Rank as the Engineer's Miracle Worker. Summoning all of those ships at once can be a life saver.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilesuit89 View Post
I just wish I could race change my character, I have a Liberated Borg as my Engineer but I would rather have a Vulcan since they are really my most favorite race.


That is the way to go. Some people prefer custom Races or Races with specific Traits. In my opinion, I think that it should be about what you like rather a few extra points here and there. If you decide to start a Science-type, pick it up as a Vulcan.

Does anybody know if they ever fixed the Vulcan the abilities? I remember back in the day if you used the Mind Meld (and maybe the Nerve Pinch as well) it would cause the game to crash.


My Engineer is the Liberated Borg, too.

In my little mind's RP, she is a Choctaw Indian Borg. She is a racist one at that. She dislikes Organics. So, I have been trying to fill her crew with Synthetics and Cyborgs only. I have a couple of other Borg in there, a Photonic, and an Android. Sadly, there is just not enough non-Organic Races to fill up her entire Bridge Crew. Its a work in progress.

Last edited by jslyn; 07-26-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
# 9
07-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslyn View Post
You are welcome for the reply.

I know what you mean about playing Support types. Those are my preferred classes as well. That was why I chose a Science class the first time. I hampered myself with that one, though. From an RP standpoint, my character is a Doctor that cheated her way through Starfleet Medical. So until Cryptic revamped the Skill Tree a few months ago, she had zero points in Medical skills. She was a craptastic Doctor but when people would randomly read her Bio when I was out-n-about and comment on it, I could tell them that. She was good for a laugh.

So that was where your Dilithium came from, huh? Ah, you were gone for a long time, then. Sadly, that means that you will not like the Crafting anymore. It now costs tons of Dilithium for each item in addition to gathering resources. It is expensive. Doubly so when you consider that Dilithium has a real-life money value attached to it. It is prohibitively expensive. I used to do a lot of Crafting myself. When people would ask after certain equipment on the forums or on the in-game chat, I used to offer to craft a piece for them free-of-charge. I can't do that anymore. I can't even Craft for MYSELF these days. It bites.

And Photonic Fleet. Can't overlook that one. Actually, I think that it unlocks during the same Rank as the Engineer's Miracle Worker. Summoning all of those ships at once can be a life saver.

That is the way to go. Some people prefer custom Races or Races with specific Traits. In my opinion, I think that it should be about what you like rather a few extra points here and there. If you decide to start a Science-type, pick it up as a Vulcan.

Does anybody know if they ever fixed the Vulcan the abilities? I remember back in the day if you used the Mind Meld (and maybe the Nerve Pinch as well) it would cause the game to crash.

My Engineer is the Liberated Borg, too.

In my little mind's RP, she is a Choctaw Indian Borg. She is a racist one at that. She dislikes Organics. So, I have been trying to fill her crew with Synthetics and Cyborgs only. I have a couple of other Borg in there, a Photonic, and an Android. Sadly, there is just not enough non-Organic Races to fill up her entire Bridge Crew. Its a work in progress.
Ouch, so crafting is a bit of a pain now? That sucks, I usually enjoy crafting in games as it gives me something else to do instead of just leveling through quests/missions and doing dungeons, plus I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I help out another player by making them some gear for free. Well at least I know now to save the Dilithium for crafting, thank you for explaining the changes to crafting.

I can't remember if I have or still have a bio for my Engineer. In Champions Online I would always try to write some type of bio that makes sense for my character, I am not into rping but I do roleplay my character in my head (if that makes any sense, lol).

However I do enjoy reading what other people write, some can make some really cool backgrounds for their characters. However I have read some really... "interesting" bio's, makes me wonder what the person is really like behind that character, lol.

Thank you again for coming by posting again, any input is greatly appreciated.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 479
# 10
07-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilesuit89 View Post
Hello all! Hope everyone is doing good. I have been away from the game for awhile due to real life issues and health problems, just came out of the hospital recently. I have been looking forward to playing Star Trek Online and I can't get over how much has changed. The game runs a lot smoother for me and it is really nice to see that the population has really grown.

I have been playing for a couple of days now but I am still a bit lost in all the changes and I am trying to catch up, lol. I don't have a high level character, just my first one which is a rank Commander (25) Engineer. I have been thinking about starting a new character, one reason is because I am not sure if I still want to play an Engineer. I kind of like the Science role a bit better since they can debuff the enemy, also it is similar to a class I play in a different mmo. Only downside is that I have about 40,000 Dilithium (no idea where that came from), 11,000 GPL and about 1,500 points in R&D. So I am a bit hesitant to just start fresh and lose out on the perks my first character has.

Anyway, glad to be able to play again. I am really glad I decided to get the Lifetime sub back when the game first came out, it feels like it was worth it. I am really looking forward to what the future will bring to Star Trek Online.

Live long and prosper,
David

EDIT: I apologize to the moderator of the forums, I did not realize that I posted this in the wrong forum section.

have you joined a fleet? i would like to invite you to the 44th Fleet. Fed and Klingon welcome with a no hassle application process. plenty of friendly players to help you out and we have a great start on a base.

see you in Eden.
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:43 PM.