Ensign
# 1 New Guy
07-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Greetings from the New Guy

Just got started and trying to get the feel of the game. At that point where I have no real clue how to progress my character, but I?ll figure it out? I think.
Captain
# 2
07-26-2012, 11:33 PM
What career path are you - Tac, Eng or Sci?

Have you followed the tutorial(s)?

Are you playing through all of the episode missions?

Are you spending the skill points on increasing your proficiency at various in-game skills?

Are you training your BOffs?

What exactly do you need help with?

Joint Dev/Community discussion on customizable and gameplay-relevant ship interiors:
Proposal Document // Feedback Thread
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
07-26-2012, 11:33 PM
fresh meat........

www.stowiki.org=good stuff

also almost everything you can think of has been asked here at some point.

Look into joining a fleet...
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=270134
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79

watchout for orion girls when on leave
Dont eat the gagh
Ensign
# 4
07-26-2012, 11:44 PM
@ Sumghai

Human / Tac

I have right at 30 minutes of playing time under my belt, so I still have that newbie smell to work off.

Have not started the tutorials yet.

Working through my first mission. Just about to beam over to the Kittomer.

Still need to customize the interface for optimum use.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
07-26-2012, 11:49 PM
http://spidermitch1.com/sto/fed/Spid...DShipChart.jpg also useful but for later

Luckily your hud if prety customizable by pressing ESC you will a menu and its one of the options.

Enjoy.
Captain
# 6
07-26-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm a Human Tac myself.

The first couple of missions ARE the tutorial.

Joint Dev/Community discussion on customizable and gameplay-relevant ship interiors:
Proposal Document // Feedback Thread
Ensign
# 7
07-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
I'm a Human Tac myself.

The first couple of missions ARE the tutorial.
Right! Um... I knew that...
Ensign
# 8
07-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Welcome to Star Trek Online! Did you bring your own lube?
http://optimusjamie.tumblr.com
Captain
# 9
07-27-2012, 02:56 AM
My suggestion as a new player not too long ago is - take it easy.

Don't worry about power-levelling or creating the most powerful character: you will have plenty of time to figure that out at Admiral ranks.

The first 40 levels of the game are meant to gradually familiarize you with STO character and ship design, and how to make all of them work for you (you are entitled to find your own style).

Unlike what others may say, at this stage you're welcome to try anything you want. Min-maxing is something that ruins the fun because you're told to follow certain (obscure) rules and fly "someone elses" ship.

It's much better advice for you to take your time with the missions, progress from the starting light cruiser to something that resembles, with time, a 25th century warship... and then that's the time to explore player to player competition, elite fleet missions, etc.

All in good time.

The best pilots I have in my guild are not the **** hot fighter pilots, but the ones who took their time with the game and enjoyed every moment of it.

They bring a unique blend of Star Trek canon-ness with them to Admiral endgame play and do not hesitate to lend a helping hand to other new players in need.

And that's the sort of Starfleet Captain we all hope to see. This game ain't just about blowing stuff up, once you get past the initial confusion stage

For me it's a game of endless experimentation, adaptation, mutual support for those in need, and something very seldom practised in the gaming world today: -

Player development through veterans' coaching. Starfleet exists to train and develop the next generation of officers for future command postings, and this very forum is the perfect resource. Again, don't rush to ask questions (you might get a million suggestions on obscure "sure win" strategies... which are not needed at a mere Lieutenant rank!), and read as much as you can to know the best practises and who/what to avoid in a pinch.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel

Last edited by carmenara; 07-27-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Commander
# 10
07-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john135r View Post
Greetings from the New Guy

Just got started and trying to get the feel of the game. At that point where I have no real clue how to progress my character, but I?ll figure it out? I think.
joined a fleet yet? come to Eden and check out the mighty 44th Fleet. Fed and Klingon welcome with a no hassle application process. plenty of friendly players to help you out.
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/