Captain
# 21
07-27-2012, 01:23 AM
it has been known from start that the fleet system is not designed around small fleets. It is a decission all of you made when joining a small fleet or one man fleet. The system didn't screw you, you screwed yourself..by choice.
Go pro or go home
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspacex64 View Post
'grab as many warm bodies as you can'
Stop discriminating against cold blooded Gorn!
Commander
# 23
07-27-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadore View Post
Stop discriminating against cold blooded Gorn!
my abject apologies -.-

how about...any mobile/semi-mobile sentient or semi-sentient lifeform?
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
07-27-2012, 02:41 AM
corporeal or non corporeal
Captain
# 25
07-27-2012, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
it has been known from start that the fleet system is not designed around small fleets. It is a decission all of you made when joining a small fleet or one man fleet. The system didn't screw you, you screwed yourself..by choice.
Correct.

Cryptic makes what we in another world might call "business decisions". It's their choice to focus on large, wealthy guilds and let them sink resources into base building, and to use that artificial form of peer pressure that results to create even more revenue through FSM purchases.

There will be significant revenue for small guilds out there too who are either forced to 'do more with less' and be patient, or if they want fast progress they can use Zen for alternative means of financing.

I don't think the SB construction is inaccessible to small guilds at all, it just needs a different management and development strategy. A new guild if it can run with a solid strategy and grow its community gradually can and will progress through the tiers - perhaps not as quick as a giant fleet can, but the end result is just as satisfying or perhaps even more so - because the small guild didn't just Zerg rush the construction process, it had to plan and strategize and move to exploit temporary market trends for financial victory (and with funds, the ability to procure new starbase tiers and all sorts of items to benefit their guild).

I deliberately wanted to start a small guild and let it run amok on SB construction with a strong team building and "newbies first" ethos.

My message to OP is, who said small guilds can't build bases? The end result will be all the more satisfying with a small fleet, as it's much more hands-on as you have to manage not just project strategy but also acquisition as well.

I'll be happy to support OP's fleets with said acquisition of resources if it comes to that, because I just commenced KDF starbase construction with an even smaller pool of cowboys this time.. and it hit tier 1 with rapid speed thanks to strategic prepositioning of resources
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Ensign
# 26
07-27-2012, 03:06 AM
There are a lot of people in big fleets whining about the fact that they can't get any fleet credits becaus the projects are filled up so quick they don't have a chance to get some.

There is one solution for big and small fleets and thats cooperation and teamwork
Commander
# 27
07-27-2012, 03:22 AM
at a guess...the voices here wanting to keep the status quo of large fleets growing faster than small ones either are in a large fleet or are leaders of large fleets. pretty typical for them to want to maintain what they see as their uberness...get all the goodies before anyone else can even come close in smaller fleets. and of course brag.

same types who post very rares or what not in ds9 all the time i reckon. measure their worth by what they have >.>

also gives them the ability...albeit false to look down on the smaller slower growing fleets, makes them feel all superior. when in actuality they've done nothing but grab every person they could. their fleet didn't grow through quality of personal...but through quantity.

so...yeah, can kinda get why you people like the system the way it is. e-peen strokage and all that rot. make excuses for why it's set up the way it is. money? cryptic would get more if smaller fleets could grow faster duh. since you can't build a shipyard or get higher tier fleet ships without a lot of investment (resources) if the system was scaled by fleet size...small and medium sized fleet bases growing as fast as large fleet bases...well then, fleet ships of higher tiers would become available sooner = more cash.

nice try making it about money, fail try, but nice attempt
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
07-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara View Post
My message to OP is, who said small guilds can't build bases? The end result will be all the more satisfying with a small fleet, as it's much more hands-on as you have to manage not just project strategy but also acquisition as well.

I'll be happy to support OP's fleets with said acquisition of resources if it comes to that, because I just commenced KDF starbase construction with an even smaller pool of cowboys this time.. and it hit tier 1 with rapid speed thanks to strategic prepositioning of resources
You misunderstood my post. The "screwing" I refer to is that resources can be tied up on a project and you must complete that project before starting a time-limited project. For a small fleet, it's can be difficult to quickly respond to that kind of scenario.

And guess what? Nukara has been nerfed -- there are cooldowns on the medium missions now. So you can't get marks nearly as fast.

We haven't gotten to Tier 1 yet, but I'm hearing that resource requirements go up dramatically. I'll see when I get there. But all of this "stategic planning" and talks of "market trends" sound a lot like work. This is a GAME. What will happen is that we'll just sit on these projects and they'll get filled when they get filled. And two or three years from now you'll have tons of small fleets that aren't even tier 3 (if they're even still participating in the system). That is, unless we are forced to progress the starbase as a gate to highly desirable content.

We were promised that higher tiers wouldn't be "required" for success. But it wouldn't be the first time a promise was broken. Look at the new trend to character-only unlocks for large sums of Zen. Fleet ships that cost MUCH more than C-store ships in comparison.

Anyway, I've gotten off topic with the rest of you. I just want a way to pause or cancel a project. In not allowing that, Cryptic has screwed small fleets. The rest I leave to others to debate.

-Forjo
Join Date: Aug 2008 -------------------- My oldest post (that I can find)
Location: Houston, TX ------------------ Former Cryptic User #11424

Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!
Captain
# 29
07-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forjoatinxan View Post
But all of this "stategic planning" and talks of "market trends" sound a lot like work. This is a GAME.
I just want to address this one part. To you it might be a game. To others it's something more. There are PvPers who spend hundreds of hours tweaking their builds just to get a 0.01% increase in something. They're just playing a game. There are PvEers who spends hundreds of hours tweaking to get the perfect STF build. They're just playing a game, and so on. Saying something is a game really means different things to different people. And MMOs, where you must interact with others and play through systems not just designed for a single person, does mean at times you're going to need to plan things.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
It's not hard to get Marks. You can easily get 500 to 1000 Marks during the Tholian Even when on Nukara. But I agree, we should be able to cancel the projects. Especially those that are on standby for the next project.

But as a Small Fleet Leader, I'm not happy with these "Limited Time" Projects that cost 200,000 Dilithum. My little fleet isn't rich and can drop that kind of funds on a whim. (People tell us to recruit, well there is a reason we chose to be small).

Why "limited time" offers in a time-gated fashion? Why can't fleets be allowed to choose their own decoration projects at the time they choose fit?
Simply no.

The reason that ypu can't drop assignments is so you can't start it, fulfill the easy parts for fleet marks. rinse. repeat.

Dont blame the game because the dumbass in charge of your fleet projects made a bad choice. The requirements for the project are shown before selection. What more do you want?