Lieutenant
# 21
07-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Used to do that. But I couldn't resist the invisiblity for the tac.

If only we could make custom kits. Within our classes of course, no invisiblity and plant bomb.

That would make too much sense....
Republic Veteran
# 22
07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair114 View Post
Re: Sidearms for Engineers.

Have you considered the Jem'Hadar Polaron pistol from Second Wave? It's secondary is an AoE cone exploit with no damage drop off over range. Sort of a pocket Pulsewave that exploits.
I prefer the compression pistol, primarily for it's animation speed. Though I don't know how the Jem'Hadar compares in that department. I'll have to check it out.
Commander
# 23
07-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexrael View Post
I prefer the compression pistol, primarily for it's animation speed. Though I don't know how the Jem'Hadar compares in that department. I'll have to check it out.
No charge time that I can recall. Hit button and instant AoE "flash" occurs with no movement or aiming lock. Just, click and go.
Captain
# 24
07-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Love playing with the bomber kit. It's great in PvP, it's great in STFs, and it's great on Starbase Incursion (not so much Colony Invasion in my experience). I always carry both this and fabrication; they both have their place.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Captain
# 25
07-27-2012, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexrael View Post
Combat Armor
If you have points to spare dump a maximum of 6 points in this skill. It increases the Resistances % of your Armor. However you will be soaking damage via Shields primarily.

[snipped]

Combat Supply, not even if we had this for free would I use it. Terrible beyond words. It needs a complete revamp, maybe allow players to buy consumables from it akin to an NPC merchant.

[snipped]

Seeker Drones needs either some different effects or a vast increase in firepower to be considered for field use. They are underwhelming in all aspects.
Nice explainational writeup.

My mileage varies a little on certain things though:

I'm 9/9 Into "Demolitions" and "Turrets and Drones". I find Drones III, Quantum Mortar 3 and Phaser Turret 3 to all be very decent damage providing that you're specced into them, and take the appropriate DOFFs to spawn multiple copies. It isn't uncommon for me to be able to Drop 3 Turrets and 3 Mortars within a few seconds of each other, and at that point the sheer weight of additional firepower tends to make up for the dumb AI.

There's also an argument to be made regarding standard mission Away Teams: I run with 2x Engineers with their own set of Turrets, so my skillpoint allocations (and DOFF choices) help them substantially too.

I'm not knocking the Demolitions approach though, it's certainly more spike damage orientated (and very well suited for certain tasks - KAGE crazyroom in particular) and if you've a good team setup there's no doubt it's quicker to clear weaker mobs... but with the Fabrication setup you can do substantial DoT and become practically unkillable. For Boss fights (Rebecca?) or Protecting an area (Cure Ground?) they're hard to beat.

I'm not sold on investing anything into Combat Armor. The endgame armor equipment, combined with captain accolades, usually starts hitting quite severe diminishing returns for damage resistance even before you factor in anything extra from the Combat Armor skill.

Finally: Combat Supply. This gets a bad writeup and WAS revamped substantially in the ground power shakeup. These days using Combat Supply dumps a chest on the ground. Interacting with the chest grants you a set of 10 Large Health, Shield and Energy Hypos. These get dumped into your Free Device slots when you gather them, and thus can appear on your power tray in the same place on each use of the power. There's a ridiculously long time limit before they expire (roughly the same uptime as tribble buffs), they persist between zones, they don't clear when you change kits, and at any time you can right-click-discard one of the stacks and regather from the chest for a fresh set. Honestly, what's not to like about free infinite large devices for your entire team?

I hated Combat Supply too back when it was a low % chance for anything other than a stack of health hypos. These days it's still rare that my teammates make much use of it (though it can be handy on the occasional PUG) but I'll usually still pop off a chest before starting a STF, and occasionally in between enemy waves/groups. It's the one power I don't consider "kit-swapping" with to be cheating, as the free devices it grants are obviously considered to be a long term benefit.

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]

Last edited by maelwy5; 07-27-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 26
07-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I agree on the Combat Armor skill. Primarily because as an Engineer you shouldn't be taking shots on the armor due to the shield recharge ability inherent in the class.

Though it does hold some merit for an Engineer that wants to tank, but that is not relevant to the bomber setup.