Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
05-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrani View Post
Auth-ing equals problem solved!
Authserv does nothing at all to protect one's nick. All it does is authenticate one's account on the network.

Anyone can still use a host mask (which everyone should when using IRC anyway) and your nick anytime they like, and no one will know who they are.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
05-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
Authserv does nothing at all to protect one's nick. All it does is authenticate one's account on the network.

Anyone can still use a host mask (which everyone should when using IRC anyway) and your nick anytime they like, and no one will know who they are.
It's not perfect, and I would rather have a nickserv also, but you can do a /authserv userinfo (username) to see what account is currently using the nick. If it is the same account you know the nick belongs to, your golden. (unless someone hacks your auth account)

Though I agree, nickserv in addition to authserv would be great.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
05-07-2009, 11:50 PM
As I understand it, if someone is using a hostmask (which is always the sensible thing to do when using IRC), doing that will only show the masking info. I might be wrong there. I'd like some confirmation if I am though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
05-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
As I understand it, if someone is using a hostmask (which is always the sensible thing to do when using IRC), doing that will only show the masking info. I might be wrong there. I'd like some confirmation if I am though.
It would not surprise me if there is a way to have the channel bots protect your nick based on hostmask.
I can see the bot then removing (kick) ppl for using a *reserved* name in the room.

Its a genuine concern I will look into it. No promises but its noted.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
05-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleum View Post


It would not surprise me if there is a way to have the channel bots protect your nick based on hostmask.
I can see the bot then removing (kick) ppl for using a *reserved* name in the room.

Its a genuine concern I will look into it. No promises but its noted.
Thanks

Or you could just take 5 minutes and move the channel to a network that has nickserv?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
05-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
Thanks

Or you could just take 5 minutes and move the channel to a network that has nickserv?
We already have a very well established community, trying to move it may cause problems.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
05-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
Thanks

Or you could just take 5 minutes and move the channel to a network that has nickserv?
Exactly what I won't be doing, though I am willing to seek a solution. Its actually not much more than 5 mins to set up a channel. However finding a web based client so it can be accesed easily, having secure channel protocols and respected operators, gaining favours for Cryptic regarding simultaneous connections from one mask and having a secure logging facility and statistics. Well they take time.

Having sorted out issues when they arise by doing it AS A COMMUNITY is a real bonus for everyone. Think of the issues that Cryptic would have with having to employ ppl to set stuff up and monitor it, its almost a full time job for someone.

I don't say that everyone will be happy with having it this way. But look at the fact that traffic has more than doubled in the last week and on Thursday there were 103 people in the room with no real issues. It shouts loud that there is a great community of Trek gamers out there. I feel honoured to be a part of it and to have such great support from real dyed in the wool Trekkies, like Kinneas for example. Even though I tell him I am NOT a trekkie almost every day.

Sorry to go on. I am still looking into it. Also some other things. I'll keep you posted
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
05-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Things seem to be going just fine now that we worked out how to make sure the Cryptic peeps are really them...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
05-09-2009, 03:12 PM
yea we haven't really had a problem with it. i've been using gamesurge/net for what 13 years and it's been just fine without nickserv...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
05-09-2009, 09:16 PM
miss post . . .
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31 PM.