Career Officer
# 21
07-24-2012, 08:33 AM
I'd just be happy with being able to set the uniform of the rest of the crew to what my bridge crew is wearing. - we need this for fleet star base as well - we have a fleet uniform that we all wear, but the npc scrubs break that immersion aspect everytime we go there.
Captain
# 22
07-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Fully-featured ship interiors has been at the top of my personal wishlist for a very long time since I started playing. This is the equivalent of player housing in fantasy MMO's, in that they are a means of storing trophies, loot or gear (STO only goes as far as trophies).

From what I've read about MMO's, there appears to be a small minority of players who want the full immersive in-game role-playing experience and would thus put the effort into outfitting their "homes", whilst the remaining majority simply sees it as a place to dump extra loot before moving on to the next mission/quest. And of course tacofangs/Tumerboy's comment about the 90% of CoV players simply using their "base" as quick doorways to mission/quest maps.

Thus, it seems that until it could be justified that ship interiors could be used in gameplay content that interests the majority of players, it's probably not something Cryptic would invest in any more than what they have now.

However...

If a variety of appropriate gameplay content could be introduced into ship interiors, then allowing players to customize said environment would make more sense.

Current uses of ship interiors in STO

• NPC contacts for DOff assignments
  • Small craft selection
  • Accolade / trophy display
  • "Private" social zone for players to invite each other to visit and discuss matters in a role-playing like setting

Potential uses of ship interiors in STO

• Boarding Party scenario combat - by making use of customized ship interiors, no two games are the same
    • Single-player PvE - Player and BOff away team defends their ship from a random enemy (similar to Colony Invasion)
    • 5-player PvE - Players defend the team leader's ship interior from a random enemy (ditto)
    • 1v1 PvP - One player challenges another by "boarding" their vessel to sabotage it / obtain resources. Both players would have their BOff away team(s).
    • 5v5 PvP - The "home" team leader's ship is used as the map, in which two teams fight for control of it
  • Mini-games that can be played against BOffs (game AI) or other player(s) in the Officer's Mess
    • Kadis-kot, Strategema, Tri-Dimensional Chess - earns XP and some tactical/strategic reward
    • Poker, Fizzbin - earns XP, EC or GPL
    • Dabo (only on Ferengi vessels) - earns GPL
  • Sports or martial arts mini-games that can be played against BOffs (game AI) or other player(s) in the ship's holodeck
    • Baseball - play x games to earn an accolade that allows you to take part in the famed match between Sisko and Solok's teams
    • Parrises Squares
    • Velocity - earns 30min~2hr ranged combat buffs
    • Fencing, Tsunkatse, Anbo-jitsu - earns 30min~2hr melee combat buffs
  • Additional inventory storage
  • Shipboard "incident" that earns XP, EC or Dil (Randomly-selected like fleet Starbase's Officer of the Watch)
  • Foundry maps

Other "nice to have" features simply to help with overall immersion

• Ability to specify where BOffs sit on the bridge
  • Ability to specify costumes for DOff assignment NPC contacts (players can choose between using one of their non-bridge BOffs or a new costume using a tailor interface)
  • Ability to specify base crew uniforms, by department and gender
  • Ability to specify proportion of base crew species and genders (permits an all-Andorian crew, an all-Caitian crew or even an all-female crew for the Amazons out there ;D)
  • Ability to specify quantity of base crew wandering in the corridors

Ship interior styling, room and deck layouts

I'm agreement with tacofangs/Tumerboy on the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I've heard nothing about redoing ship interiors. My personal feeling is that there should be little customization on layout. If you have an Intrepid, you get an Intrepid class layout. If you have a Defiant, you get a Defiant class layout.
As long as said layouts are not simply non-canon smushing the rooms up into the fewest possible decks.

For instance, I'm a massive Intrepid-class fan, so I expect the Officer's Mess on Deck 2, Captain's Quarters on Deck 3, Transporter and Security complex (brig + armory) on Deck 4, Sickbay, morgue and Science lab on Deck 5 etc. A not-quite-canon-but-good-enough deck plan reference is Cygnus-X1.net's Intrepid-class blueprints page.

(FYI: High-res spreads of Intrepid-class Decks 1 / 2 / 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8a / 8b, 9a, 9b / 10, 11, 12 / 13 and 14 / 15)

Now, having Cryptic create a complete Intrepid-class interior down to every crewman's quarters is downright ridiculous, so what I'm saying is that Cryptic should take these plans, put the important rooms on the right decks, then seal off all the other doors and trim parts of the corridors to save map data space.

Quote:
But I think players should have control over a few different overall styles, textures, colors, and lighting. So all Galaxy Class ships would have the same layout, but you could choose from TNG style (beige, brightly lit) or 2409 style, or random style A, B or C. etc.
This I like very much as well - being able to choose the styling.

Again using my baby, the Intrepid-class, as an example:
  • 2409 styling with bluish LCARS and extra holographic displays (DEFAULT)
  • Canon Voyager styling with yellowish LCARS (Part of Voyager bundle pack in the Z-store)
  • Extra variants A, B, C etc.
  • Mix-n-match styling e.g. carpet and walls from Voyager with 2409 LCARS and holographic displays

Rooms I feel should be included and potential uses

• Bridge - shows your BOffs, Ops DOff assignment
  • Ready Room - access Tac and Dip Corps DOff assignments
  • Conference Room - unique to each ship and used for diplomatic missions
  • Mess - Bartender, Chef and Counselor Doff assignments, strategy games like Poker, 3D chess, Kadis-Kot etc.
  • Captain's Quarters - mini-tailor / medal case for non-trophy accolades
  • Transporter room - ?
  • Security complex - locker room for ground inventory, brig with Security DOff assignment
  • Science lab - Sci DOff assignments
  • Sickbay - Med DOff assignments
  • Holodeck - combat-oriented mini-games
  • Engineering - Engineering DOff assignment
  • Shuttlebay - transfer to small craft, actually see the shuttles you own displayed as full-sized props in the shuttlebay
  • Cargo bay - storage for commodities and other inventory

Joint Dev/Community discussion on customizable and gameplay-relevant ship interiors:
Proposal Document // Feedback Thread

Last edited by sumghai; 08-22-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Career Officer
# 23
07-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Quote:
No, we built the super base editor even before CoV (i.e. long before the sell off)

We heard very little praise back then for the editor, and got almost nothing but complaints. Our statistics showed that only about 10% of people used the base for anything other than a quick door to teleport around the rest of the world.

All of that is one reason we've been hesitant in doing it over again. We tried a new method with Hideouts in Champions, which seemed to be met with moderate success, but took a lot of work to build.

I've heard nothing about redoing ship interiors. My personal feeling is that there should be little customization on layout. If you have an Intrepid, you get an Intrepid class layout. If you have a Defiant, you get a Defiant class layout. But I think players should have control over a few different overall styles, textures, colors, and lighting. So all Galaxy Class ships would have the same layout, but you could choose from TNG style (beige, brightly lit) or 2409 style, or random style A, B or C. etc.

However, that is just my personal feelings on the matter, no work is being done on Interiors at the moment, and havent heard of it being added to the schedule at all. Plus, all of that would be a lot of work.
In terms of ship interiors:

I would like the scale revisited once you have done interior replicas for:

Defiant (Done!)
Intrepid (In talks?)
Galaxy (In discussion for longterm, I think?)
Sovereign

My feeling is, at that point, you'll have the assets and the parts to build a better stock interior. Overall, I think it would make the most sense being in the Facility 4028/Odyssey style but in a scale a bit closer to the replica sets.

Klingon interiors look fine to me.

I'd like it if we could have:

- Trophy displays in personal quarters
- Choice of warp cores
- Choice of LCARS
- Color scheme and lighting options
- Additional decks beyond Engineering/Crew/Bridge where we can select rooms to drop in. I can see where this could be tied to gameplay in several ways if we have, say, 3 slots per additional deck for custom rooms and have to choose what features we want in them.

My preference for interiors would also be that, due to limited scale and realism, we be defaulted to /walking in them except when sprinting.

Now... I think a Galaxy interior will be your peak sales pack and is probably worth doing as a bigger set. One reason for this is the popularity of TNG. Another is that virtually all of it would function recolored as a Constitution Refit interior since they used the TNG sets for that. (And, in turn, the same mods would largely apply to the Intrepid for an Excelsior interior.)

The big thing I'd like for a Galaxy interior to have is, in addition to crew and engineering decks, a "Civilian" deck with:

A barbershop, like Mott's (with tailor functionality) http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...rshop_2367.jpg

A classroom http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...ass_school.jpg (Perhaps with extra access to the existing lore datachips, such as a unit that dispenses a random one) (With Humuhumunukunukuapua'a as the contact for any dialogues in there) http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Humu...kunukuapua%27a

A theater http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...ater,_2367.jpg (with a musical performance running constantly)

Perhaps a quarters unit setup with a poker game in progress.

The inclusion of these four things helps sell the interior as a place designed for civilians. I'd imagine extra DOff contacts around this deck.
Captain
# 24
07-29-2012, 07:49 PM
I quite like stoleviathan99's ideas as well, particularly the notion that each class of ship could have extra rooms / spaces unique to that class.

Joint Dev/Community discussion on customizable and gameplay-relevant ship interiors:
Captain
# 25
07-29-2012, 09:11 PM
I want a full Galaxy interior. I would pay $20 for just that. If they threw in TNG weapons and a few other shinies that would be the fastest $20 ever spent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenneanthony View Post
Get your facts straight about Star Trek. It was not a money making scheme. It was one person vision / idea.

CBS turned it into a making making scheme during the original movies.
-vivenneanthony 2014
Captain
# 26
07-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I want a full Galaxy interior. I would pay $20 for just that. If they threw in TNG weapons and a few other shinies that would be the fastest $20 ever spent.
Account or character unlock?

Career Officer
# 27
07-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
Account or character unlock?
Zstore purchase or lockbox gamble?
Joined August 2008
Captain
# 28
07-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
account Or Character Unlock?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
zstore Purchase Or Lockbox Gamble?
Bahahahahah!

Captain
# 29
07-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Now that some ideas have been thrown around for ship interiors...

What about shuttle and small craft interiors? One of the jarring things I've noted is no matter which small craft you choose, the cockpit will always be the 2409 runabout style with massive arching windows.

This is particularly apparent with the "Diplomatic Orders" mission, where when you pick up Ambassador Sokketh, you're using a Type-8 shuttle - this results in a funny TARDIS-like situation when you converse with Sokketh later on inside the shuttle.

But how can we justify the use of authentic shuttle interiors? The Foundry comes to mind, but is there any gameplay elements that could make use of such interiors too?

Career Officer
# 30
08-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
*lots of good ideas*
A concept I had was actually putting a Bank/Mail/Exchange on your ship, using the Subspace Transceiver compartment (or Astrometrics). It makes sense, I mean it can be done. The transceiver can be used to transmit the "replication patters" for items, all you have to do is scan and send. You could also use the cargo bay as your bank.

I also had the idea recently to launch one of your small vessels (shuttles/fighters) as combat pets, piloted by your BOffs, on demand. I thought of this for full ships, but they wouldn't be on demand. You'd unlock the "launch shuttle" power at Commander, and would have this ability out-of-combat (you'd have to designate the 2/3 BOffs in the shuttle, and possibly equip it), and then order it like a fighter. You'd unlock the "Starship companion" option at RA, and you could do this if you had enough BOffs to staff it. Ship companions would work the same way as shuttles, but bigger. For instance, my Eng is flying the Ody, but he has a Defiant that he doesn't use (he's more specced for an Ody). My BOffs that I don't use would staff the Defiant's bridge and fly it to assist me. If you have enough BOffs... you could have both (BOff ship and Shuttle) out (in a team). You're an Admiral, why would you go these missions alone? Defeat of these ships would require retrieval, as the ship would be disabled.