Lt. Commander
I am trying to run two separate installations. I copied over my main installation into a new directory. However, when I run the 2nd installation, the game overwrites the settings of the main installation and uses the main installations assets and client. As well, when I try to install a 2nd installation manually, when I go to run the original installation, the original installation now uses the 2nd installations assets and settings.

The reason I need to use separate settings for each installation is because my two monitors are not uniform. One is a widescreen and the other is not. As well, I'd like to have one use my main speakers while the 2nd installation use my secondary speaker port. I'd like to run the 2nd installation at the lowest settings while having the main installation continue at my normal settings.

What do I need to do, if I can do anything, to get this game to recognize two separate installations and use each settings and assets accordingly? This hadn't been an issue in the past because I had a laptop that I'd run the 2nd account through, tied to my 2nd monitor. My laptop is now broken beyond repair, so I need to use my Desktop for both accounts.

Also, when I have the 1st installation in focus, the sound on the 2nd installation mutes and vice versa. How do I stop this and keep the sound active regardless of application focus?

This was so easy to do in WoW, all that was needed to do was copy the game to a new installation path, it then used each's own assets and settings accordingly.

Forgot to add: Windows Vista Home Premium, 32-bit OS

Thank you for your time.

[ Raptr ] [ @zebular | Join Date: Dec 2007 | @Captain_Ralubez ] [ BIOs ]

Last edited by zebular; 07-27-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Commander
# 2
07-27-2012, 06:06 PM
sandboxie, free version will let you run one isolated from your main. as to actually saving the settings i don't know. i do know they don't interfere you can have different settings in both clients. it does require some setup, such as allowing sandboxie open access to the second install.

as to running 2 clients without...running the second as a different user might work. you'd have to set up another account on your machine then run the second client as that user. if you already have another account on the machine it will be in the right click menu "Run as different user"

haven't tried it, so don't know, sandboxie has been my choice for running multiple clients.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspacex64 View Post
sandboxie, free version will let you run one isolated from your main. as to actually saving the settings i don't know. i do know they don't interfere you can have different settings in both clients. it does require some setup, such as allowing sandboxie open access to the second install.

as to running 2 clients without...running the second as a different user might work. you'd have to set up another account on your machine then run the second client as that user. if you already have another account on the machine it will be in the right click menu "Run as different user"

haven't tried it, so don't know, sandboxie has been my choice for running multiple clients.
Thank you for the reply! I guess I really do not understand what this program does. I have read through the web site for the product but I just don't see how that would help me in this case? I am a bit leery to try it though, as I wonder if this would count as a 3rd-party program and break my Terms of Service with STO?

Commander
# 4
07-28-2012, 03:09 AM
what it does is create a separate instance for another program to run without altering either the OS or the program itself. and if you're already attempting to run 2 clients...that's all it allows. it's not a hack or anything. it's actually designed as security, running your browser or suspicious software in it (the original intent of the app) protects your system because everything's contained within sandboxie.

if the TOS has rules against running multiple clients on one machine...that would be the only way it would be against TOS. since you were attempting that anyway...

as to how it helps? erm, it lets you run multiple clients on one machine. i came across it looking for a way to run multiple clients for a different mmo, it would only allow one to run at a time. start main game app, start the second, third, etc in sandboxie no issues since they're isolated from each other. what happens in sandboxie stays in sandboxie.

since you already duplicated your sto intallation, just have to set that as sandboxies working folder (the duplicate) though it will run just fine if direct access is allowed without duplication of files.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
07-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Sandboxie sounds interesting. I will have to take a look at it.

Last edited by kamiyama317; 07-28-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Could you shed any light on multi-boxing two variable display resolutions and the global setting issue I am having, Crytpic? Thanks!

Captain
# 7
08-03-2012, 10:54 PM
The path that STO uses for the client and setting it uses are saved in your registry. This is why even if you attempt to launch it from the copy directory, it will actually use your original installation location.

Running it in a different OS/computer entirely would work (such as Virtual PC or VMWare or something along those lines.) Otherwise, you could try changing the registry setting appropriately before every time you want to run the game (probably making a macro or script to do this before running the launcher each time.)

However, things like the HUD layout are saved server side, so even running separate copies of the game won't allow you to have different setups for the same character/account.

As for the sound, most games do not play their sound when they aren't in focus. WoW has a special option to allow sound to play while it's in the background, but that sort of option depth is the exception rather than the norm. (In fact, while Starcraft 2 has this option, Diablo 3 doesn't, even though it's also a Blizzard game.)
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----

Last edited by tangolight; 08-03-2012 at 10:58 PM.