Commander
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Red_Squad

Red Squad or Cadet Training Squadron 47 was an elite group of cadets at Starfleet Academy. Red Squad members received special classes and advanced field training.
[snip]
For eight months, Red Squad carried out the missions assigned to the Valiant, until, on stardate 51825, the Valiant engaged a Dominion battleship prototype. The ship was lost, with only three survivors ? one Red Squad cadet among them, Dorian Collins. (DS9: "Valiant")
-------------------------------------

Another post had brought up the fact that Sol System content would be real cool and I'd commented on a training acadamy. Then I thought of this from TNG.

In STF's, we all know newcomers [nbs] to team-play late game are ill prepared, whether it be character build, ship build, or mission tactics. RTS-47 would offer accolades for completion of storyline based content which incorporates education in all 3 areas. Imagine seeing someone coming into CSE with the title: Red Squad Leader. I'd fly with em anyday.
Prime Minister Nayrok: Do not relax your security for an instant, Captain. He is extremely violent, and very cunning, as you already know.
Jean-Luc Picard: A matter of internal security: the age-old cry of the oppressor. The Hunted [3.11]
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
08-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon1776 View Post
Imagine seeing someone coming into CSE with the title: Red Squad Leader. I'd fly with em anyday.
I wouldn't becuase I thought that Red Squad was a bunch of idiots, what with the whole being involved in an attempted coup and the Valiant stupidity.
Captain
# 3
08-05-2012, 08:20 AM
One has to admire the enormous brass balls demonstrated by Red Squad. They were young, highly ambitious, self-assured in the face of overwhelming odds, unquestioningly loyal to their superior officers regardless of what was demanded of them, and did what they were told even when treason was the line they were ordered to cross when the situation was dire enough.

Exactly the kind of people who will get us all killed if we're not careful.
Captain
# 4
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
My sentiments exactly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Commander
# 5 [insert color] Squad
08-08-2012, 09:30 AM
The main point is, is that players are ill prepared for STFs and team play in general. Team play should start earlier in a career if nothing else.
Prime Minister Nayrok: Do not relax your security for an instant, Captain. He is extremely violent, and very cunning, as you already know.
Jean-Luc Picard: A matter of internal security: the age-old cry of the oppressor. The Hunted [3.11]
Lieutenant
# 6
08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Lore aside this is a good idea. Until I joined the EliteSTF channel I was pugging elite STFs and the amount of numbskulls I came across who couldn't even remodulate or heal wounds was staggering.

More instruction is required and at earlier levels. This would achieve that so +1.
Career Officer
# 7
08-11-2012, 08:07 PM
The irony being that Red Squad ended up being poorly prepared for actual 'team play' and got themselves all killed, well, all but one

The blond xo was hawt though.
Career Officer
# 8
08-12-2012, 06:52 AM
I started out, once I hit VA, doing only Normal STF's till I acquired enough EDC's to equip my ship with the Borg setup and all Mark XI weapons. After that, I felt I was ready to enter into the Elite version, without being a hindrance to those who were more experienced than I was. Since then, I only do the Elite, as the rewards are better and, in reality, it's not that much more difficult than Normal.
That being said, I would gladly participate in a "Training Academy" for STF's, if for no other reason than to improve my abilities and to be able to better help the team I'm with. I don't consider myself all that good at STF's, though I normally survive them and would appreciate the extra training that this Academy would provide.

~ Cap