ATTENTION:UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES
Last edited by rickysmith1; 07-09-2012 at 11:22 AM.
One of the Q pops up interested in giving you a history lesson. he takes you back thousands of years to Ferenginar where you discover that back then the Ferengi weren't the money grubbing folks that they are now.
They were more interested in nature and beauty and all that other stuff.
It;s up to the player to figure out what changed them.
I have a problem. I have too many ideas, and not enough time to make Foundry missions out of them all. I need to finish the missions I have started, which will take up plenty of time.
So, in an effort to get some more discussion going in this forum, I'm going to put these ideas out there and if anyone wants to make the mission they may do so. You can alter the ideas in any way you want, I renounce any claim on them Just let me know if you use them so I can play your mission.
1) "Bottle Episode." In a TV show when the special effects and set design budgets get a little thin, they'll do an episode where they only use existing sets. So my idea is to make one of these "bottle" episodes that takes place entirely on the player's ship. Think "Data's Day" or "Lower Decks" or something similar.
2) "What happened to the Maquis?" What happened to the Federation colonies that were along/inside the Cardassian border after the war. Did the border shift as the Fed/Klingon/Romulan Alliance conquered more territory. Sisko rescued some of the Maquis, and what about those surviving Maquis on Voyager. Did they try to rebuild? Did they go back to killing Cardassians. Lots of unanswered questions. I have a name in my head that I wanted to use: "Eddington's Raiders." Someone please take it and run with it!
3) "Organians." This one came up in the Starbase UGC chatroom, so I can't claim it's my idea, but seriously, big old Fed/Klink war, and where are the Organians?
4) "Conspiracy." Remember the alien parasites that got extremely close to taking over the Federation? Remember how they were never mentioned again? Well it's sequel time baby!
Now here's where you all join in. Please post any ideas of yours that you know you'll never have the time or interest to make into Foundry missions.
1) great idea!
2) I had an idea about that, that I half built, never polished and pulled after a short time involving "Rebecca Sulivan" Eddigtons wife.
3) also sounds really cool.
4)They were the design concept for "The Borg". However, due to the cost of making a completely insectoid race, the writers made them a more budget friendly cyborg race.
I know I've read the behind-the-scenes stuff too but obviously in-universe, they are something different than the Borg. So what were they? Where did they come from? What did they want? Could be a good mission!
I also had another one. This could be a good one for BranFlakes' challenges:
Make a mission based on one of your DOFFs. I know we all have some odd DOFFs runnign around our ships, like Tholians, Romulans, etc. You meet said DOFF in the corridor one day and you get to talking and somehow that leads you on a galaxy-hopping adventure to do... something...
I want to do a mission revolving around the introduction of the Ferasans into the KDF, I'd call it "The Nomad's Crown" (I'm not a fan of the song but the title conjures up some nice imagery) interrogating some Caitian prisoners on Rura Penthe, breaking some Ferasans out of a holding facility (since the Foundry is apparently getting 4028) and then coming to the aid of some Ferasan carriers, fighters and civilian convoys under attack by some Starfleet douchebags and escort them back to Qo'noS but I don't know...
Came up with another one yesterday, this one would be very challenging:
A mission where you, as the captain, command the whole thing from the bridge. We always complain about "Why is my Vice Admiral doing everything the junior officers should do." or "In TNG the captain most often doesn't go on away missions, why am I?" So why not try to make a mission where you command the whole thing from the bridge. You issue orders, set course and warp factor, fight a battle with evasive maneuvers and attack pattern omega, you send away teams and hear their reports, make the big decisions and watch (figuratively speaking) them get carried out.
This would be extremely challenging because it would depend almost completely on the quality of the script to keep it entertaining. But it could be very cool.
This is Off Topic... but I would like to personally thank each of the Foundry authors for the care, and countless hours you obviously put into your missions.
The foundry has become, for me, a refuge from the grind... and in all honesty, keeps me playing. Cryptic could do a lot worse than taking a lot of these missions, and making them mainstream. With obvious adjustments to make them work in the story line of STO.
Cryptic should up the reward drops in reviewed missions to be on par with those of the story-line missions (with review of course, there are soem missions that are 30 second clicks for the Officer Reports event).
I decided to try and create my own foundry mission, and lets just say, it gave me a new found respect for the work, time, effort, and thought that each of you puts in to your missions.
So, thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Blargskull told me he was working on such a mission prior to Foundry failures.
The biggest issues I believe on bridge missions would be;
1. Disposing of your away team. Other than locking them in a closet.
2. The bridge will never matches the player's bridge. He worked this out by having you temp for another Captain.
I do hope he gets to finish it soon.
I hope he is still working on it. The way I envision it, it could be great. I had in mind a non-Trek example, thinking how through that whole awesome sequence in Battlestar Galactica where they jump the ship into the atmosphere and launch their fighters as its plummeting toward the ground then jump out into orbit at the last minute, and through the whole thing Commander Adama doesn't so much as look out a window.
I did a very very small version in my latest mission, where I have the player fight a small battle from their bridge, and I did face the two challenges you outlined. I got around the second issue by setting on an auxiliary bridge which I designed. The story is your ship gets hit and some hull breaches form on the main bridge and forcefields are down, so you have to evacuate. I got around the first issue by completely ignoring the away team and using a relief crew to fill out the bridge positions. I figure in a crisis where seconds count you might just have them stay at their stations when you make it down to the auxiliary bridge.
It would be much easier if we could just set a map to be player-only. But I don't anticipate them giving us that any time soon.
And thanks Johnny, it's players like you that make the whole thing worthwhile for us authors.