Survivor of Remus
Its been a question ive been wondering for a while. The stealth bonus, defence bonus and shield cap have always been something ive loved about the reman set (other than its kick ass visuals)

But can any of the people out there with more experiance than I tell me if the Reman set can actualy work in a pvp on a defiant? At the moment im mixing it with the borg deflector (like most everyone else) and it holds up fairly well. But if i put the Reman deflector on i get riped to shreads.

Any thoughts?
Commander
# 2
08-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Anything can work. Even no set at all. It always the matter of skill and the equipement comes as distant second. I never used ANY part of Borg set or ANY of the grind-sets (Omega, MACO etc) and could hold the line in PvP. Was playing for short time with the AEGIS set, but I could always get most from the custom items (mostly blue Mk X and Mk XI) then out of any set.

Sure, I was not the best one, rather a low middle man - but it was more because of the skills and not the equipement. Buying some purple Mk XI or blue Mk XII on exchange has not changed much in terms of my survivability or kill (heal for cruiser) abilities.
Empire Veteran
# 3
08-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Well lets take a look for your Defiant:

Reman Deflector:
+1.6% to Stealth Abilities
Might help but I dont think you need it.

+32 Starship Interial Dampeners
Thats ok.

+32 Starship Graviton Generators
Helps Tractor Beam but you dont have that many sci slots on a Defiant.

+24 Starship Subspace Decompiler
I dont think you can make much use of that.

Fazit: The Deflector sucks.

Reman Engines:
+24 Starship Maneuvers
I suppose thats nice. Havent tried how much they help. The turn rate would be interessting but I never compared it to other engines.

Fazit: Take the engines you need for the set bonus you want.

Reman Shield:
Its covariant so it should have a decent cap. But there is nothing special here. I suppose you can get a same/better shield in the exchange. Take the MACO shield or Omega if you want tet glider.

Fazit: Why on earth would anyone want that for PvP?

Set Bonus:
Set 2: Prototype Plasma Projectile
Passive
+15 Starship Particle Generator
Enchances your High Yield Plasma torpedos:
Increased Flight Speed
Increased Defense

Right. It makes your Plasma torpedos better. I dont see any reason to use Plasma torpedos in the first place.

Set 3: Covariant Capacitance Cell
Passive
When receiving All Energy Damage, 5% chance of applying Covariant Capacitiance Cell
+5% Maximum Shield Capacity for 15 sec (stacks up to 5 times)

That sounds nice. But then again you can get more cap increase by stacking shield cap consoles and there are better set boni out there.

Fazit: Well I think you could try the Reman set in Kerrat. Or for challenging RP players at Drozana. But if you want to be competitive in pvp use 3 borg with MACO shield, or 2 Borg 2 Omega.
Career Officer
# 4
08-09-2012, 07:10 AM
A simple 'no'.

kkthxchnk
Empire Veteran
# 5
08-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctraiderz View Post
A simple 'no'.

kkthxchnk
Excuse my being offtopic but... what does the 'chnk' in your kkthxchnk stand for? I am curious.
Commander
# 6
08-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctraiderz View Post
A simple 'no'.
Why? Sure, against top-level pvp player no, but as the OP author declared he is not the top dog so why it would not work? There are better sets, sure. You can create better set out of non-set items if you have money/dilithium. But all in all for PUG-level PvP it should work quite fine. Sure - you will need full set and you will need the weapons/BO abilities that will use the set bonuses. But other then this?
Captain
# 7
08-09-2012, 07:21 AM
The first biggest problem is that the deflector is kind of a poor man's Sci ship loadout (I like that tasty [SubD], but what the hell are you going to do with it on a TE)? Other than Dampeners, it pretty much does nothing for you.

Next is the fact that the main set bonus only boosts HY:T. I'm not much of a fan, especially Fed side... you're better off with spread, especially with plasma.

Finally, the cap passive doesn't seem to proc very often, and the effect seems weak even when it does. It's not clear if it applies to your modified or base shield hitpoints, but if it's the latter, you're going to cap out at an absolute maximum of about ~2,000 extra. Again, cool but its utility is questionable, and you're unlikely to get there anyway.

The engines are kind of nice just for that defense bonus. I'd still probably prefer Aegis if I really wanted it, though.

I might try rolling the shield for a while just for kicks, but I'd turn the visuals off or else you'll draw global aggro!
Survivor of Remus
# 8
08-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post

I might try rolling the shield for a while just for kicks, but I'd turn the visuals off or else you'll draw global aggro!
Oh i already do I run the xii purple engine and shield, Borg deflector + console. I was more curious if anyone else had actualy tried to use it with any sucess.

Ive run the 3x borg and maco xii as well and for the most part i dont notice that great of a difference. I still blow up just as often with either set. So i just keep with the one that i like the look of more

The plasma torp i just mount in the back since i found id set myself on fire every time u had it on the front during an attack run. Only ever works if i fire it at a bop thats cloaking or i manange to proc the shields off, but again its more for theme.

If anyones wondering the loadout is 3x accx3 DHC, Accx3 twin beam front. 2x turrets(borg) and the plasma on the rear. Tss2, hazard 1, rsp1, epts1 tacT1 x2, Torp Hy1(for the plasma), Rapid 3+1, omega 1x2 and Overload 2

The character I run it on is a sci with 0 space skills (first ever toon) So never going to be at the top comp.
Captain
# 9
08-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Na this isn't a PvP set...

As others have said deflector is useless....

Cov Shields really aren't all that great anymore... Cov is way season 2.

Set bonus is pointless...

Visuals are cool and all... but if I see a rem visual I switch targets to that guy instant like... you might as well rename your ship USS No Borg Procs. A target that isn't going to automagikly start regening 2k hull a tick is pretty tempting.