Lt. Commander
# 51
05-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Well, the shields should wrap above and below the ship, not just be in an arc around the horizontal plane.

I would imagine with that set up, facing directly towards an enemy vessel would take most fire on the foreward shield, but if you angled to where your ship's underside or top is towards the enemy fire, maybe there is a chance that the fire hits any of the shields, weighted by the actual angle, since all 4 shields would intersect in the center area top and bottom.

Agreed that 6 shields would represent that better, but I'm just speculating in hopes that we are not forced to fight only in 2d when in space, can't wait to see how it is actually working.

Hoping that z axis makes a difference in combat though, yeah.
I look at it like slicing a round Cheese into four equal slices -- as you said, the forward shield would cover the 'forward top-center-bottom' angles.
Lt. Commander
# 52 Hollowdecks
05-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Was just wondering if there will be anything about hollowdecks onboard some of the bigger ships,,, I think it would be a good way of creating instances within ships that could be programmed,,, as an example,, say peeps needed to pass certain scenarios,, like Captain Kirk did when he was the first cadet to beat the simulator... Maybe a series of in game hollowdeck instances that players could access as they gained experience,, so in order for them to gain a rank along with having exp,,, they would also have to pass the hollowdeck simulator. And simulators could be set up with whole groups going in like an instance. Anyways its food for thought, and m,ay be something to look into in the future.

Poisedonis Meru
Lt. Commander
# 53
05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
this is not ment to offend , Im just not understanding
why is it that gameshot is sharing with us and not Cryptic...??
Lt. Commander
# 54
05-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerChase View Post
I think that's a fair question. When it comes to timelines and current stage of development, Cryptic is certainly being.... well, cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 55
05-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm thinking the game sites are just HOW they tell us, and it gets them better coverage, not just to those of us who watch these forums. Ultimately that's better for the game, I'm thinking.

They do link to the articles here, so I don't really see a difference in them posting the same information in the forum, or having it posted on a game site and then they give us a heads up here about the article, we get the same information and at the same time we otherwise would have, with a bonus of people who look at that game site getting the information along with the forum goers.

As long as it isn't a pay to read site, or even a register to read site, no foul.

More exposure, same information, everyone wins! *throws confetti*
Lt. Commander
# 56
05-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerChase View Post
Publicity deals.

Cryptic makes agreements with various publications about 'releasing' information and details. Basically it is sort of like an 'exclusive'. If Cryptic posted all the information here, people would not need to patron those websites or buy those magazines.
Lt. Commander
# 57
05-14-2009, 09:25 PM
That warbird looks awsome =) cant wait for handling one
Lt. Commander
# 58
05-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post
Publicity deals.

Cryptic makes agreements with various publications about 'releasing' information and details. Basically it is sort of like an 'exclusive'. If Cryptic posted all the information here, people would not need to patron those websites or buy those magazines.
make's sense.....I was just wondering what if Gamestop decided not to share......what have we not seen that other website's have received...I sure hope we get all the head's up stuff.......I guess we prob. do....but just cant help feeling Ive missing a lot of stuff becouse I dont surf the web.
Lt. Commander
# 59
05-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Great article, always makes me smile when i see a new one

Keep up the good work Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 60
05-15-2009, 10:10 AM
The game looks and sounds beautiful, i cannot wait! The ship combat sounds awesome. There wasn't a lot of new information, but it seems Cryptic is becoming more confident with their product now, letting Gamespot play it 'n all.