Captain
# 21
08-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Notice how Zeroniusrex is NOWHERE to be found, in a "requesting additional Foundry assets" thread?

Instead, in a few weeks/months time, we MIGHT get a patch that includes some random new assets that NOONE has yet requested. I honestly don't know WHY they made it so cumbersome to add new assets, when a simple solution would be to simply allow ALL assets to be used, that are in use in the actual game.
Empire Veteran
# 22
08-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Well, it was a major code update, not a content update. Content is still 100km away from what we could expect from a genuine editors, and they know that. The new maps are great, really, and we should say that, but new maps will never replace the ability to create custom interiors.

Well, at least, now, we got a major unrevealed feature: headeaches. The new editor is incredibly laggy, more complex, and clicking somewhere is scary because it will take another minute to reverse something wrong.

I don't know why they just don't massively throw existing assets into the foundry, maybe we should ask why in the next ask cryptic or in an interview. That's the only reliable way to get answers to major concerns.

Last edited by diogene0; 08-08-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Lieutenant
# 23
08-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Content is right there on your HD in those hogg files. Everything in the game is in the client. The Foundry makes a script (text file) that is sent to the server. This script then is accessed by other player's clients and told what assets to pull from their hogg file on their HD. So content updates only patch your hogg file with new models when they create them. The server only has the raw data of the position of the asset. In brief, the game asks the server for numbers and it returns that object 436 is at coordinate 23.4323, 4.234, -72.1232.

This is how all mmo's work in order to keep the game speed up. When the server has trouble responding you get a lag. This happens more often when you have many objects to track. But the lag in the editor is uncalled for and should not be there while editing since you are not playing the game. In my opinion, the lag is caused by graphic updates to the direct draw system and the fact that they upgraded the code to DX 11 is a clear signpost to that being the problem more than any other cause.

Adding assets to the Foundry is just as simple as plugging numbers into the system. The assets are only limited by those who program the Foundry. I hope that clears it up.
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
08-08-2012, 07:31 PM
May I offer the suggestion that what we need is a list of what we would like added to the Foundry. How is a new Dev (such as the one who was kind enough to give us these new assets) to know what has been asked for the last year?

I would suggest a community-compiled list of every asset we would like added to the Foundry with screenshots and maybe a mention of which map it appears on in-game. A all-in-one-place list would be a huge resource to any Dev trying to work through adding assets.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 08-08-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-09-2012, 11:46 PM
That has been done someplace. It is up to a forum mod to make it a sticky.
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Starfleet Veteran
# 26
08-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandukutupu View Post
That has been done someplace. It is up to a forum mod to make it a sticky.
Yes, but that's a jumbled mess of a list with a lot of stuff that doesn't exist in-game. If I was a dev I would have a hard time pulling anything useful out of that.

@greendragoon