Lt. Commander
# 1 Demo downloading issues
04-08-2011, 07:46 AM
I am attempting to download the trial for this game. I created an account successfully, and now have the icon on my desktop to download the installer.

Whenever I open the downloader, it processes to 100% easily enough, and then it goes back to 10.84% and loads at about 1% an hour. Obviously, I can't just sit here for days waiting for the download to complete.

How long is this supposed to take, and what should I be doing differently? I am on Windows 7, with 2GB of RAM and a 2.10 GHz AMD Sepmron M120 processor.

Edit: After doing a little more research, I see that this demo takes a vast amount of time to download for others, not just myself. Since this is currently loading at about 5% an hour (it's faster now), that means it will take about 20 hours to download. No way to speed this up, or to pause it so I don't have to let my laptop run all day and all night?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I remember when I tried to patch after not playing for 10 months, it took a long time... Something like 8GB worth of downloading. Could have been more like 6GB. If you can download at 1MB/s, excluding actual patching time (your system specs can improve this part), its pushing 2 hours. I don't know how much of the patches overlap itself, it could be bigger or smaller.

That 100% you get at first is probably the verify, if I remember correctly. Just keep it going, leave it running.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-09-2011, 01:24 PM
OK, I see now that clicking "cancel" stops the download, but that starting again starts from where it left off. That explains why it went back to 10.84%.

Is there a way to adjust the download speed of my computer?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Yay! The download is finally complete! It only took 10 days, too.

Now all I have to do is wait for the patch to finish. But this is going much faster - almost 1% a minute. In a few hours, I may be able to start the demo to see if I want to download the game itself.

My question is this: if I choose to purchase the game, do I have to go through all of this again? Will it be, in fact, longer since it will be the full thing?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-20-2011, 01:23 AM
once you have a full account a trick to keeping uptodate on the build each patch is to sign up to the tribble test server this way once the patch is activated for the live build it just copies over the nessesary files, just be sure to check the test build patches via the related threads every week or so.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2011, 06:47 AM
If you're using the downlaoder from STO's main site, it works off bittorrent, and chances are your isp may be restricting it. Now you have the game downloaded, IF you decide to stay and play a while, make sure you back your STo folder up, so you wont need to redownload the game again.
Ensign
# 7
08-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
Yay! The download is finally complete! It only took 10 days, too.

Now all I have to do is wait for the patch to finish. But this is going much faster - almost 1% a minute. In a few hours, I may be able to start the demo to see if I want to download the game itself.

My question is this: if I choose to purchase the game, do I have to go through all of this again? Will it be, in fact, longer since it will be the full thing?
Tell me about it, eta for game download is over 5 hours. I can't believe it??????
Ensign
# 8
08-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt1960 View Post
Tell me about it, eta for game download is over 5 hours. I can't believe it??????
I just checked again and now it says it will be done in over 85 HOURS WTF! guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ensign
# 9
08-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt1960 View Post
I just checked again and now it says it will be done in over 85 HOURS WTF! guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I knew it was going to take this long to download this game, I don't think I would have.
This is ridiculous.
You figure when you decide to download a game that you can be able to play it in a few hours, not a few days.
I sure hope the game play experience is better than the download experience.