Ensign
# 1 Buying things in-game
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Hello! I am new here and I would like to know if it is worth to buy in-game kits, guns, weapons for the ship etc. I mean would I get them later as a reward or I need to buy them?

I have one more question: Can I use energy credits for everything in-game or I need both dylithium and energy credits?
Captain
# 2
08-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanshuuu View Post
Hello! I am new here and I would like to know if it is worth to buy in-game kits, guns, weapons for the ship etc. I mean would I get them later as a reward or I need to buy them?

I have one more question: Can I use energy credits for everything in-game or I need both dylithium and energy credits?
For leveling up, I would not buy anything from vendors. You will receive decent mission rewards as you level up. You'll be to equipment yourself and your ship very nicely. You Away Team member can be updates with drops that you don't sell. Getting Blue (Rare) or Purple (Very Rare) from a Diliithium vendor is not worth it because you will quickly out level it's usefulness.

Now Kits you might want to purchase as you probably will not get all of the Kits you will want to use. As you play style develops, you will develop a preference for using certain Kits. You can change out Kits and equipment outside of combat.

Energy Credits are used for White Common items and for consumables in the vendors stores. Dilithium will get your better versions of the like equipment. And Energry Credits are what used on the player Exchange.

f you refrain from buying things are vendors and just depends on your drops for equipping your self and selling unused drops are vendors a tidy sum of EC in no time. If you get good drops, you can always try selling them on the Exchange for a bigger return then selling at a vendor.
Ensign
# 3
08-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Thank you! Live long and Prosper!
Empire Veteran
# 4
08-11-2012, 03:19 AM
I used to.
Usually just because I wanted everyone to have certain weapons and type.
And if I had the cash, I'd look for gear with decent stats.

My opinion of that changed a long time ago, especially since leveling became so much faster.
While leveling up a character, I just use commons and what I get as drops/rewards.
If you want particular equipment, you can buy commons for cheap at vendors or on the exchange. What I like about commons, is you can resell them after you're done using them.

Example:
Last character I leveled, I bought common tetryon weapons for his away team, with energy dampening armor. (I play on elite, so it helped with the enemy's personal force fields).
Upon his promotion to the next rank, sold it all on the exchange, made my money back.

*shrugs*

And it's usually very inexpensive.

In short, there's no need to.

As for currency, not everything is EC.
Leveling, you can get by on EC alone. Once hitting VA, when you're after better gear, pets, etc... then you'll want some around.
Basically, you don't NEED dilithium, but if you want certain special items, you'll need it for those (eg: Advanced Peregrine Fighters)

Hope that helps!
-------------------------
It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~

Last edited by bladeofkahless; 08-11-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Ensign
# 5
08-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Thank you, I think I have enough answers for now. If I have more questions I'll just ask here. Live long and Prosper!