Captain
# 1 Trouble with NPCs on platforms
08-13-2012, 04:14 PM
This has been happening to me non-stop on a new mission. I've built an elaborate set in the sky (about 100 absolute y), using platforms and building blocks as the floor. Mostly, there are 500 x 500 or 100x 100 platforms, used as ceilings and floors.

When I put an npc contact on a map using any number of triggers, the npc doesn't spawn, or he spawns on the ground or up on top of the ceiling. I don't know where he is. I've used reach markers up close to see if he is falling through the platform, but no.

But, if I take that npc and sometimes move him 2 feet away from the intended spot, he will spawn just fine.

The obvious question: Am I using relative to geography or terrain on a non-flat map? Yes to non-flat map, but everything is set exactly as it should be with y relative to absolute zero. Either something with the spot on the platform or something about the underlying terrain is pushing my npc who knows where.

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm pulling out my hair just to get the npcs in the spot that I put them, and I'm afraid to move them one inch, in case that new spot is a problem for spawning.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
08-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
This has been happening to me non-stop on a new mission. I've built an elaborate set in the sky (about 100 absolute y), using platforms and building blocks as the floor. Mostly, there are 500 x 500 or 100x 100 platforms, used as ceilings and floors.

When I put an npc contact on a map using any number of triggers, the npc doesn't spawn, or he spawns on the ground or up on top of the ceiling. I don't know where he is. I've used reach markers up close to see if he is falling through the platform, but no.

But, if I take that npc and sometimes move him 2 feet away from the intended spot, he will spawn just fine.

The obvious question: Am I using relative to geography or terrain on a non-flat map? Yes to non-flat map, but everything is set exactly as it should be with y relative to absolute zero. Either something with the spot on the platform or something about the underlying terrain is pushing my npc who knows where.

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm pulling out my hair just to get the npcs in the spot that I put them, and I'm afraid to move them one inch, in case that new spot is a problem for spawning.
Have you tried relative to geometry?
Captain
# 3
08-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
Have you tried relative to geometry?
I'll try this the next time that I run into it. Can you give us a technical explanation for relative to geography. I've never seen it explained.
Empire Veteran
# 4
08-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I'll try this the next time that I run into it. Can you give us a technical explanation for relative to geography. I've never seen it explained.
I know what you are talking about this happened to be when i made the mission City of Rator 6. What I had to do to play with the geometry because some even tho they are at same elevation from where they are created. Some things I had to put higher than others and some lower until they all evened out.
Captain
# 5
08-14-2012, 02:58 PM
@ zer0niusrex

Any chance we can build our own "interior" maps, without having to fake interiors, by buildings floors, walls etc on EXTERIOR maps? I'm thinking of the "click to place rooms" functionality that is rumoured to be included for Neverwinter's foundry.

Would certainly save alot of time, rather than building each and every room with "blocks".
Career Officer
# 6
08-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Have you tried using relative to terrain? As I recall the relative to zero is a bit buggy with contacts (works fine with objects).

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 7
08-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
@ zer0niusrex

Any chance we can build our own "interior" maps, without having to fake interiors, by buildings floors, walls etc on EXTERIOR maps? I'm thinking of the "click to place rooms" functionality that is rumoured to be included for Neverwinter's foundry.

Would certainly save alot of time, rather than building each and every room with "blocks".
I would be satisfied if they could just give us a better lighting option with more ambient lighting and light coming from directly above, so that our interior levels didn't end up looking so weird. None of the exterior lighting options really work 100% right for interiors, especially because everything ends up being in shadow once you put a ceiling on top.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
08-14-2012, 10:41 PM
I actually have this happen to me ALL THE TIME. Pretty near drives me ballistic, lol.
Captain
# 9
08-15-2012, 04:17 PM
This happened again, but changing it to relative to geometry fixed it. Hope that helps everyone.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
KF, when you changed relative to geometry, did you have your platform still set relative to zero, with the NPCs set relative to geometry? if so, what values were you setting for each? NPCs set to +1 over the platform?