Captain
# 1 I see light in the dark!
08-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
We will be bringing the Tribble server down for maintenance to apply a new update.
ST.20.20120729.18

General:
  • Stealth values provided by ground abilities and items will no longer stack their values with one another.
    • This applies to all of the following items and abilities:
      • Ambush
      • Stealth Module
      • Distortion Field, from Omega 2pc Bonus
      • Jem'Hadar Triggered Shroud, from Jem'Hadar 2pc Bonus
      • Consumable Portable Shroud Generator
        • This device is an exception: It will still boost existing stealth values by +50 even when used in tandem with any of the above, but will not receive its full benefit.
    • This change did not affect Stealth modifiers such as those provided by certain Traits or the Gamma Quadrant Tribble.

Finally! ground is getting better! dont stop here Cryptic!

Thanks for this big change, is really necessary!

TL;DR

You cant double cloak more on ground!
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkollins View Post
Finally! ground is getting better! dont stop here Cryptic!

Thanks for this big change, is really necessary!

TL;DR

You cant double cloak more on ground!
I am not master at ground so i dont call you troll just right away.

But form the little experience i have at ground now that you cant double stealth as you say how will tactical officers stand up against the supper healing from sci officers and the supperior tanking from engineer officers?

Dunno for sure if this is good or bad change just asking to make sure tactical is viable cause from the little experience i had with my ground tactical char i got owned constantly by out tanking me engineers and by outhealing me sci officers.

Only good thing that my tactical character was the cloack and now you say its gone?

This doesnt make sense to me but from the other hand i am just a noob at ground
Commander
# 3
08-16-2012, 09:09 AM
z0gra: chances are this thread is not about what you think it is about. If you used Operative, you probably won't notice much difference after the patch.

To address your concern, however: the tactical officer provides three main roles in ground PvP, neither of which will be eliminated by these changes.

The first is Team Support, achieved through such powers as Tactical Initiative and Strike Team, and such kits as Squad Leader. These make your team as a whole do much more damage, or improves all their kit abilities.

The second is Enemy Control, achieved through Suppressing Fire, which is available on Fire Team and Security Protocols. This power slows enemies down and keeps them from doing much damage. In my opinion, it is the second best power in the game, with Tactical Initiative as the best.

The third is Timed Spike Damage, aka the 'oneshot'. This is achieved through stacking damage buffs on Operative or Fire Team, and using a high damage weapon to punch through most of the enemy's health in a single shot. If it doesn't kill them, you can ideally finish them off quickly.

Cloak is only a means of getting into position to do your 'oneshot.' Move with your team, keep to cover. Drop enemies at range with big damage weapons like the Sniper Rifle, Compression Pistol, or Type 3, or punish them for getting close to you with a super-buffed Pulsewave. Cloaking may feel effective, because it lets you get a kill without getting killed first. But remember, all the time that you are invisible but not fighting, your team is fighting 4v5 against the enemy, and as soon as you become visible, you may well be fighting a 1v5, since your team is somewhere else.

Kollins:
My reply to the issue of stealthing, from this earlier thread:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=354541
---

It's a hackjob of a fix, but it is an improvement, on some levels. Perfect stealth is still easily attainable via the Covert passive and Operative, but at least it's unavailable to Fire Team, now. Unfortunately, this makes all the non-Operative stealth powers completely useless - the stealth value of Omega or Ambush or Shroud, in isolation, is too low to make a player disappear even against an opponent with 0 Perception, even at 40 meters.

Here is a method that would have really worked, without making all non-Operative stealths useless:

Set stealth equal to a function of the sum of the stealth values, Stealth_sum, in the same way as damage resistance, such that it starts meeting severe diminishing returns above a Stealth_sum of 400. One such function, cribbed from the damage resistance function:

Stealth_actual = 3000*(0.25-(450/(900+Stealth_sum))^2)

This way, you can have all the stealth values on all the items, but stacking stealth above 600 is virtually impossible.
---
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0gra View Post
I am not master at ground so i dont call you troll just right away.

But form the little experience i have at ground now that you cant double stealth as you say how will tactical officers stand up against the supper healing from sci officers and the supperior tanking from engineer officers?

Dunno for sure if this is good or bad change just asking to make sure tactical is viable cause from the little experience i had with my ground tactical char i got owned constantly by out tanking me engineers and by outhealing me sci officers.

Only good thing that my tactical character was the cloack and now you say its gone?

This doesnt make sense to me but from the other hand i am just a noob at ground
It depends on the kit a science or engineer is running and how they are specced.

I run the medic kit which has 3 heals on it. Triage (which can be radiated from me or thrown up to 30m), Vascuar Tricorder, which has a HoT and Expose remover on it. Medical Tricorder, which has a quick heal and expose remover, and Nanite Health Monitor which will recharge my health if I get to 75% up to 3 times.

Other science kits do not have these heals.

It's the same with Engineers. Plus duty officers can help proc extra toys.

The stacking cloak allowed a tac to come up to you with a perfect cloak that cannot be detected and kill you with one shot. This was not defendable. They did not remove cloak, only the stacking. So what you want is an overpowered perfect cloak because you do not yet know how to use your toon on the ground? Tacs still have there buffs that will expose and increase weapons damage. Learn how to use them.
Captain
# 5
08-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Double cloak kick me away from Ground PVP, now I may go back.
So yes, is a good thing.

Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Commander
# 6
08-16-2012, 09:57 AM
It's nice the ground pounders finally got a big issue resolved!
Arawn & Ihasa
OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
http://seekingalpha.com/article/7382...-latest-update
Captain
# 7
08-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guriphu View Post
z0gra: chances are this thread is not about what you think it is about. If you used Operative, you probably won't notice much difference after the patch.

To address your concern, however: the tactical officer provides three main roles in ground PvP, neither of which will be eliminated by these changes.

The first is Team Support, achieved through such powers as Tactical Initiative and Strike Team, and such kits as Squad Leader. These make your team as a whole do much more damage, or improves all their kit abilities.

The second is Enemy Control, achieved through Suppressing Fire, which is available on Fire Team and Security Protocols. This power slows enemies down and keeps them from doing much damage. In my opinion, it is the second best power in the game, with Tactical Initiative as the best.

The third is Timed Spike Damage, aka the 'oneshot'. This is achieved through stacking damage buffs on Operative or Fire Team, and using a high damage weapon to punch through most of the enemy's health in a single shot. If it doesn't kill them, you can ideally finish them off quickly.

Cloak is only a means of getting into position to do your 'oneshot.' Move with your team, keep to cover. Drop enemies at range with big damage weapons like the Sniper Rifle, Compression Pistol, or Type 3, or punish them for getting close to you with a super-buffed Pulsewave. Cloaking may feel effective, because it lets you get a kill without getting killed first. But remember, all the time that you are invisible but not fighting, your team is fighting 4v5 against the enemy, and as soon as you become visible, you may well be fighting a 1v5, since your team is somewhere else.

Kollins:
My reply to the issue of stealthing, from this earlier thread:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=354541
---

It's a hackjob of a fix, but it is an improvement, on some levels. Perfect stealth is still easily attainable via the Covert passive and Operative, but at least it's unavailable to Fire Team, now. Unfortunately, this makes all the non-Operative stealth powers completely useless - the stealth value of Omega or Ambush or Shroud, in isolation, is too low to make a player disappear even against an opponent with 0 Perception, even at 40 meters.

Here is a method that would have really worked, without making all non-Operative stealths useless:

Set stealth equal to a function of the sum of the stealth values, Stealth_sum, in the same way as damage resistance, such that it starts meeting severe diminishing returns above a Stealth_sum of 400. One such function, cribbed from the damage resistance function:

Stealth_actual = 3000*(0.25-(450/(900+Stealth_sum))^2)

This way, you can have all the stealth values on all the items, but stacking stealth above 600 is virtually impossible.
---
I dont know why youre not working in the systems teams yet
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com