Lt. Commander
# 11
01-25-2012, 01:08 PM
I have to agree with this. I'm not even colorblind and there are instances where the colors are a problem.. For example, I can't actually tell at times, which Side a doff is on, because certain races are multifactional. This can be a problem with the exchange in a major way. Secondly, on the Klingon side its actually very difficult to see what class someone is when they join your team. The Klingon Empire symbol dominates, with only a small circle behind it with a small splash of color on it, surrounded by RED. The issue here, is that when I look at a Klingon person's class icon, I have to lean closer and take a hard look to tell what they are. This issue is nonexistent on the Federation side because the character's color code is dominant on the circle (Red, Orange, and Blue). I'm sure there are other interface issues where color is an issue. Its nice to have color as a guide, but more clarity is always better.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeHopper View Post
I have to agree with this. I'm not even colorblind and there are instances where the colors are a problem.. For example, I can't actually tell at times, which Side a doff is on, because certain races are multifactional. This can be a problem with the exchange in a major way. Secondly, on the Klingon side its actually very difficult to see what class someone is when they join your team. The Klingon Empire symbol dominates, with only a small circle behind it with a small splash of color on it, surrounded by RED. The issue here, is that when I look at a Klingon person's class icon, I have to lean closer and take a hard look to tell what they are. This issue is nonexistent on the Federation side because the character's color code is dominant on the circle (Red, Orange, and Blue). I'm sure there are other interface issues where color is an issue. Its nice to have color as a guide, but more clarity is always better.
Honestly, with the team interface, it might simply be better to have a clean class icon, next to their faction icon. Like the Command Star, Operations Spiral and Science Rings. Just a clean separate Icon, not a color in a small piece of their faction iconography.
Ensign
# 13
08-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I am colorblind (red/green). In order to keep up with bridge officer types I name all of each type starting with a certain character. (i.e. Engineers = Elizabeth, Eric, Edward; Science = Stewart, Sally, Samantha; Tactical = Tabitha, Tilly, Ted.) It's bland, but it helps when picking officers for universal console slots and such.

The Klingon color scheme is especially difficult for me in general.

An complete UI colorblind mode option would be very beneficial. Maybe a UI color picker would be easier to implement.