Starfleet Veteran
# 101
08-17-2012, 11:20 AM
OK, while I am sorry to hear others are having this issue, I'm glad it isn't just my system.

The patch is taking a really long time this time around - normally it only takes a minute or two, even with up to 700 MB of data. We're ticking on an hour now.

Slow start to get to the launcher this time, too, and, like someone else mentioned, it had worked fine just hours beforehand.

Fleet Commander
Caprica's Revenge
(...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
Lieutenant
# 102
08-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Its actually a routing issue but its one that PWE needs to investigate since it's effecting their servers.

Got a reply from my now long ticket, again it wasn't read at all, and told me that I should check my antivirus to see if it was blocked, I had already mentioned in the last ticket I had double checked this....

Quote:
Hi Player,

After an update, your antivirus and/or firewall software can decide to block the game because so many game files changed, and the autopatching process can get blocked too while playing. How did you add exceptions for the game in your security software?

You can try disabling auto patching for the game too.

What happened after you tried Options > Force Verify on the game launcher menu?
I've mentioned several times I can't even get to the launcher infact the actual name of the ticket is Cannot Launch the Launcher
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith

Last edited by macfelly; 08-17-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Commander
# 103
08-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfelly View Post
Its actually a routing issue but its one that PWE needs to investigate since it's effecting their servers.

Got a reply from my now long ticket, again it wasn't read at all, and told me that I should check my antivirus to see if it was blocked, I had already mentioned in the last ticket I had double checked this....

I've mentioned several times I can't even get to the launcher infact the actual name of the ticket is Cannot Launch the Launcher
Yeah, they pretty clearly didn't read your ticket! And I can vouch for it not being either an Anti-Virus or Firewall conflict, at the root of this problem, since I always shut down both before ever attempting to launch STO or any online game (if only for the sake of minimizing lag).
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71
Lieutenant
# 104
08-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Yeah, they pretty clearly didn't read your ticket!
Whats worse is this is about four replies in since monday and everytime they have just spouted off form letters at me. Now this may be fine one time because it can narrow down some simple issues but there should be someone actually reading the tickets after that. I've sent them nettests and tracerts and details about the error from the auto launcher error file about the launcher being unable to connect.
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith
Ensign
# 105
08-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm pretty much in the same mindset, macfelly. I'm frustrated to no end because all the things they say to me, I have told them I have already tried. When they tell me to try to do a Force Verify, I tell them, "Hey I can't even get the launcher to load. THIS is the problem."

I'm glad to see it at least got acknowledged by someone from Cryptic though. Doesn't make me feel like I'm wasting my time with Tech Support's scripted replies.
Career Officer
# 106
08-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Darn, I was hoping to get home and see a message saying "Yup it was something stupid on our end, all is good to go, log in guys" damn! Looks like its going to be something that will drag out for awhile but this will at least delay my cancellation. If we are still having this discussion 2 weeks from today well that'll be a different story.
Lieutenant
# 107
08-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
Darn, I was hoping to get home and see a message saying "Yup it was something stupid on our end, all is good to go, log in guys" damn! Looks like its going to be something that will drag out for awhile but this will at least delay my cancellation. If we are still having this discussion 2 weeks from today well that'll be a different story.

I give them 2 more days I can understand a few days outage but with all the money I've dumped into the zen store a week without is too much. I have another game on deck I'll go back to, its a sub game but at least they never have outages like this and if they did they have the power to fix it quickly and their tech team doesn't fool around they will actually call you and help out.
Starfleet Veteran
# 108
08-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clannmac View Post
OK, while I am sorry to hear others are having this issue, I'm glad it isn't just my system.

The patch is taking a really long time this time around - normally it only takes a minute or two, even with up to 700 MB of data. We're ticking on an hour now.

Slow start to get to the launcher this time, too, and, like someone else mentioned, it had worked fine just hours beforehand.
And now I am having the same issues several of these others are having: "Trying to Connect to "AutoUpdater;" "Tried to connect 1 time"...then two...the "Unable to Connect to Patch, Check youy Internet Connection and Try Again." Well, all else I've gotten into at work and home today works just fine - ain't my I-net.

After the slow patch this morning, I was able to get into the game without issues, though it never seemed to remember my username as it usually does. However, the above is what I'm getting now, just two hours later.

Do we know someone is working on the issue, and why are seemingly only a fraction of us being affected? If it was server-wide this and other forums would be on Page 500 by now.

Fleet Commander
Caprica's Revenge
(...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
Career Officer
# 109
08-17-2012, 05:37 PM
I was having this issue.

Its now fixed. I did this:

Open CMD in admin mode.

Quote:
type:

ipconfig /release

[wait]

then type:

ipconfig /renew

[wait]

then type:

ipconfig /flushdns
The launcher opened as it should for me after doing this. It may be coincidental with some techsupport solution - but it worked, and you should conider trying it : it basically clears the cobwebs out of your isp connection.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Commander
# 110
08-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clannmac View Post
Do we know someone is working on the issue, and why are seemingly only a fraction of us being affected? If it was server-wide this and other forums would be on Page 500 by now.
This is what's been nagging at me most about this issue and has me thinking that the root of this problem might be some sort of disconnect between Cryptic's servers and our Internet Service Providers. As I stated earlier, I have a pal (in Ft. Meyers, FL.) who has Comcast as his ISP, and he's been able to login to STO today, without any problems at all. Meanwhile, I'm here in Orlando, FL., with Brighthouse Networks/Roadrunner as my ISP and I've plagued with this "Unable to establish connection to Patch Server" problem.

This whole thing vaguely reminds me of a persistent problem that Brighthouse/Roadrunner used to have with Microsoft's Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger. Years ago, Brighthouse/Roadrunner would update their ISP software or somesuch and it would prevent any and all of their customers from accessing both MS Hotmail and MSN/Windows Live Messenger. Roadrunner would even acknowledge the issue directly on their ISP systems status page. They usually had the problem fixed within hours or, at most, within a day.

PWEBranflakes stated that they have a team currently investigating the problem. Perhaps it might help them if we all share some specific info, such as what Operating System we're running and (more to the point of my guess on the root of the problem) who we all use as our Internet Service Provider?

I'll repeat my info for the sake of posterity. My system's OS is Windows 7, 64 bit and my Internet Service Provider is Brighthouse Networks / Roadrunner.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71