Career Officer
# 1 Recluse vs Atrox
08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
I keep hearing recluse is better...could someone give me a breakdown of why and what makes it better?
Join Date. Dec 2007
The Original Novastar
Commander
# 2
08-17-2012, 11:40 AM
I use the Atorx and have seen a few Recluses.

More hull for the Recluse, about 2,000 without skills, about 3,000 with. Not enough to matter.
Same shields.
Different BOFF slots. I prefer the Atrox's because of the 2 tac skills and still have comm. and LTC. in Sci.

Different pets, I don't think they are any better, have yet to see anything to prove me wrong.
Special skill, web. Seen it a few times, does not look like it is worth it.
Same turning, or very close to not matter.
Same weapons.
Little worse extra power boost.

That is about it.

Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-17-2012, 12:02 PM
One is $25 (Atrox), the other is currently ~65mil EC on the exchange (Recluse). Yeah, I'll take the latter any day of the week, especially considering the woeful state of science powers in this game. It's easily the best carrier in the game if you consider it is highly flexible and can pull off 10k raw dps in an STF given the proper build. And yes, the Recluse does have a higher shield modifier, as it is a lockbox ship: they all got bumped up to fleet-level status with the S6 patch, whereas the Atrox does not have a fleet counterpart. Furthermore, the Recluse has a higher inertia and impulse modifier, so it technically is more maneuverable than the Atrox, despite the turn rate.

Honestly, if you have the EC to spare, I'd say go Recluse first; otherwise, if you just like the look of the Atrox, go for that one. Neither one is "bad", so it all kinda comes down to playstyle and aesthetics.
Commander
# 4
08-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Huh, looked yesterday mehen and it was in the 100-200 mil. range. When did you look?

Also, moving is not that needed for a carrier doing PVE. I am still sticking to that the BOFF setup is really bad. Ensign Sci. is useless, and would better for Tac. Oh wait, doesn't the Atrox have that setup?

Also, it may have a higher mod, which is not much higher. (looking at the stats now.) But it does have less extra power to to bad areas. Atrox give +5 to shields, and +10 to Aux. recluse gives +5 to engines and +5 to Aux.

The +5 makes up for the shield mod, and the extra 5 Aux gives you faster fighters.

Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Check under reward packs, not all...otherwise it'll give you the most expensive ones, not the cheapest.

Didn't know the power mods were different, but I think that just boils down to the Recluse having ~20% more shield regen overall. Also, doesn't the Recluse get subsystem targeting, but not sensor scan? That might help out the Atrox a bit, but I think the Lt. Comm Tactical station gives the Recluse a larger boost in potential damage. Throwing an AP:B on an enemy might be better than waiting ~10s for a larger boost from sensor scan.

And tbh, I haven't really seen a comparison in builds for the two vessels, so most of my experience with the craft boil down to parsing a fleetie's damage constantly. Once I save up enough for an Orb and Recluse I'll let ya know if anything works.
Empire Veteran
# 6
08-17-2012, 03:26 PM
I have both ships. Atrox for my fed science, and Recluse for my Fed Engineer.

While both ships are great in my opinion the Recluse is definitely the better ship. It can do everything the Atrox can, but has much greater versatility. Want more tanking, use put an engineer in the universal spot, more DPS use a tac boff.

so what it comes down to is Recluse can do more stuff than the Atrox.
<-- Subscribed February 2010
The user formerly known as athenaX
current Tyrant of the 222nd Corsairs