Career Officer
# 131
08-18-2012, 03:22 AM
I'm also having this same issue where I can't connect any cryptic's webpages: startrekonline.com, champions-online.com, crypticstudio.com. and Both STO, and CO launchers won't connect. BUT pidgin will connect through crypticspace.com.

I did a tracert for all the sites and seems to always die or not get a response after going through Congentco's Boston router.
Lieutenant
# 132
08-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Hiya Macfelly! Wondering if you might've done anything special, like a systems restart, beyond, what you just described here? Anything special about DXDIAG, beyond simply letting it run and clicking 'next page' and verifying everything's okay (which I did twice, both in its default and 64-bit modes)? Most importantly, when you stated "It may have been that or it was fixed elsewhere", might that suggest that you may have done something else (other than ipconfig and DXDIAG)? If so, what?

I ran CMD and all the ipconfig commands, as you suggested and then ran DXDIAG as well. Still get the same nonsense upon clicking on the STO .exe icon on my desktop.

I've officially given up for the evening and sincerely hope this all gets sorted out by tomorrow morning.
Apparently it was just luck, as of this morning i'm back at being stuck at the Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate again.
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith
Career Officer
# 133
08-18-2012, 06:14 AM
Thats what happens sadly, you get this rare window where it just works again then not, which all the more points to this being an issue on their end. I am anxious to fly that Sovereign refit, come on guys!!

I also dont think the tech guys work over the weekend, but I could be wrong. I think we are waiting until some time next week and hopefully not much more. One more thing, the number of players not able to log in could be far greater, they just dont come to the forums to complain about it.

Last edited by bannon3; 08-18-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Career Officer
# 134
08-18-2012, 10:17 AM
I got hit by this AGAIN last night shortly after exiting the game (I forgot to do something ingame and went to load up again). I just left it. Better things to do than stare at the autoupdater. I came back this morning (my system was hibernating), and it works again.

Inconsistent issue is inconsistent.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*

Last edited by nynik; 08-18-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Ensign
# 135
08-18-2012, 11:37 AM
thanks for the info on the autopatcher

day 6
this is 6 days i am behind on grinding for an new ship
Commander
# 136
08-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warslord1 View Post
thanks for the info on the autopatcher

day 6
this is 6 days i am behind on grinding for an new ship
I'm kinda shocked that you've been enduring this for six days now Warslord1! Best I can tell (from peeking at my game files), I was last logged into STO from late night this past Sunday, 8/12, up until about 3:30AM, in the wee hours of Monday morning, 8/13. This problem, at least for me, clearly started sometime between then and yesterday morning. So, potentially, I too have been unable to login for five days or so now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeb3 View Post
I'm also having this same issue where I can't connect any cryptic's webpages: startrekonline.com, champions-online.com, crypticstudio.com. and Both STO, and CO launchers won't connect. BUT pidgin will connect through crypticspace.com.

I did a tracert for all the sites and seems to always die or not get a response after going through Congentco's Boston router.
Eeb3, your post really intrigued me. While I hadn't logged in since last Monday morning and only encountered this launcher failure bug just yesterday; I tend to make a daily ritual of checking in on these forums and a strange thing happened on either Wednesday of Thursday. Upon clicking my bookmark for this Forum, via both Google Chrome and Explorer, I kept getting a prompt that 'X couldn't open the page or the page was down'.

I finally thought to use Google search, and while I got the same page load failure, it allowed me to access a cached version of this Forum. I clicked on a link, to some thread, on the cached Forum page and it opened the thread. I then used the 'login' button from that page and I was magically logged back onto the Forum!

Now, here's the rub, as I discovered it; This is the address of the bookmark which allowed me to access this forum, before the mystery switch happened (on either Wednesday or Thursday):
http://forums.startrekonline.com/

And this is the address of my current Forum bookmark, which works and allows me to be typing here, now:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php

The big mystery being...how did this change happen??!! I certainly didn't do anything to instigate the change, to the best of my knowledge. Yet, clearly, the address for this Forum changed sometime, of its own accord seemingly, sometime Wednesday or Thursday.

I can't help wondering if all this is tied into the problem that we've all been enduring here. As of now, my internet connection is somehow not connecting to the Cryptic Autoupdate Launcher, much like it hadn't been able to connect to this Forum at one point, before I found the new address.

Oh, and while I have been able to see everything here on the Forum, just fine, I have noticed that I haven't been able to access the C-Store, despite the fact that the top of the C-Store page shows me as logged in to my PWE account. Just can't see the store inventory window, as it states "The webpage is unavailable...etc., etc."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
Thats what happens sadly, you get this rare window where it just works again then not, which all the more points to this being an issue on their end. I am anxious to fly that Sovereign refit, come on guys!!

I also dont think the tech guys work over the weekend, but I could be wrong. I think we are waiting until some time next week and hopefully not much more. One more thing, the number of players not able to log in could be far greater, they just dont come to the forums to complain about it.
Sadly Bannon3, I too am starting to think that this isn't going to get resolved this weekend, on account of the devs likely being off. What's more, I too can't help wondering how many others have been effected by this problem and either are unable to post on this Forum or too frustrated or lazy to do so. I would think it's highly unlikely that those of us who have posted in this thread are the only ones who have been effected by this problem.

And, based on all the digging I did last night (via Google and searches on this forum itself), it's pretty evident that this exact same problem has happened a number of times before. Scary part is that, despite repeated threads like this one (going back to last year and beyond), I didn't find a single concrete solution to our problem.

Everything I found on this subject either suggested that this problem somehow resolved itself, assumeably via fixes by the devs, without any declaration on the devs part on why the problem had occurred or how they fixed it; or those folks that complained and brainstormed among each other, in threads similar to this one, quite possibly just gave up on the game altogether.

Giving up on this game is not an option, as I've spent wayyyyy too much money on it already, to simply walk away. So, I'm really, really, really, really hoping that this nonsense somehow gets resolved soon!!!

Oh, and one last thing. If you have received a response from PWE Support and none of their suggested fixes worked (as several of us can attest to), then please make sure to respond to their emails, until either they resolve this issue or the devs do!
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71

Last edited by methos71; 08-18-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Career Officer
# 137
08-18-2012, 02:50 PM
I know, as I have said I havent been able to log in consistently since May. I really thought week before last when the launcher opened right away and kept doing so it had been fixed, and I too have sunk alot of money into this game, however I WILL walk away to make a point and deprive them of my money, Gotta hit them where it will be noticed sometimes although I dont want to cancel and walk away at all!! If branflakes hasnt forgotten us come Monday lets hope we see some movement on this problem, or just become real squeaky wheels. One more thing support has ignored me since Wednesday, I should send them an email like they do us, we havent heard from you so we will assume this problem is NOT solved!!! GET TO WORK!!! lol
Commander
# 138
08-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Not so sure that I can say that I was fortunate, but I did receive an email from PWE support (the contents of which I posted earlier in this thread), just a few hours after I had put in a report to them. Yet, I have done absolutely everything they suggested, barring a reinstall of the game itself, as others here seem to have done that to no avail and I can't help thinking that might cause more problems than simply resolve this issue.

If push comes to shove...and it's looking that it might...if I reinstall the game, should I uninstall the game before doing a reinstall? Or will a reinstall give specific prompts for overwriting files? My suspicion is that, if the problem is on our end, rather than PWE/Cryptic's end, then I suspect that somehow the files associated with our Cryptic Update Launcher have somehow become corrupted. No idea how obviously, but it's a thought.

I like to think that I run my PC like a pretty tight ship. Always make sure Windows, all drivers and software are updated. I regularly update and run AVG scans (been using AVG's free version since last December and haven't had a single PC problem since). Always have AVG and my Windows Firewall up and running (except when I'm running STO, to reduce lag).

Seriously, I haven't had a single problem with this game until this bug we've been experiencing. And it's killing me that I haven't been able to find a solution (been troubleshooting PC woes since I was a kid, with a Commodore Vic-20, for frak's sake!) and PWE Tech Support's suggestions have been useless.

Yet, apparently, this issue isn't effecting every player, just some of us. And there's absolutely no indication as to why???!!!!

I'm gonna pop Malwarebytes on to my system and see if it pops up with anything that might resolve this issue. Haven't had to use Malwarebytes, since my PC's makeover last December. Yet, this login/update issue has got me at wit's end.

Keep ya all posted and please post away if any of ya guys finally found a solution!!!
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
methos71
Lieutenant
# 139
08-18-2012, 06:09 PM
I think I'm done, tired of not being able to play when my internet is quite capable of playing the game. I've dumped way over $300 into this game and I can't use any of the items I've purchased but others are able to play. Also seriously look into getting some actual tech people instead of the collage dropouts you have now. I want to play when I want, not when the server feels like letting me in.
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith
Commander
# 140
08-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Just a quick update. Downloaded and ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware twice. Quick scan produced one item, which I promptly removed. Then ran a full scan (took nearly an hour) and that scan found absolutely nothing.

Tried to login to STO again and still stuck with the same bug. At this point, if the tech people have weekends off, then I think we're all screwed until at least Monday.

I did find something that peaked my curiosity in a thread related to this one though. Lance1967 indicated the following:
"Note: I even went to the extreme and redownloaded and installed STO all over again (before a brain cell actually fired and I thought about checking the forums for help). I've notice that the new install PATH for the 2 .exe files are now under:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\CrypticError.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe"

Funny thing about that is that my STO program files are located at:
C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios

I wonder who else might have their files located where mine are, who's also been suffering from this login/launch bug?
methos71