Career Officer
# 141
08-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
J Funny thing about that is that my STO program files are located at:
C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios
Thats where mine are too. I suppose you can always reinstall and put the files where you want them to go, thats what i did last night when I tried the download I made new folders for everything. For everyone posting and those quite upset I am there with you, I feel the pain. I too have dropped a crap load of money on add ons and goodies in the cstore plus bought the collectors edition in the beginning, you know before this nonsense began I was seriously considering buying the lifetime, can you imagine how much worse the pain would be right now?!!
Commander
# 142
08-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
Thats where mine are too. I suppose you can always reinstall and put the files where you want them to go, thats what i did last night when I tried the download I made new folders for everything. For everyone posting and those quite upset I am there with you, I feel the pain. I too have dropped a crap load of money on add ons and goodies in the cstore plus bought the collectors edition in the beginning, you know before this nonsense began I was seriously considering buying the lifetime, can you imagine how much worse the pain would be right now?!!
Intriguing that your game files are in the same location! My gut instinct tells me that this all boils down to some problem with either IP/ISP addressing or STO software file accessing.

For instance, previous patches might have been tuned in to certain IP protocols and cleared successfully, allowing for proper patching and login. Similarly, and with specific regard to our relative STO file locations, perhaps previous patches were tuned into specific locations on user hard-drives (likely both the location paths described above), in order to facilitate patching.

Perhaps that somehow got screwed up with the last patch protocols? So, that players with files located at 'C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios' have been unable to get to the Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate? While players with files located at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios' have been able to patch and login properly?

I know that I've discussed game file locations with my pal who has been able to connect lately. And, if I recall correctly, his files are located at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios'. Whereas my files and Bannon3's have been located at 'C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios'.

Can't help wondering if that might be connected to our problem!

With having had something like this happen, I would honestly hesitate from buying a lifetime membership, whilst I've contemplated doing so, once more income starts rolling in. That said, I have already spent somewhere around and likely in excess of $200 on all sorts of stuff for this game, 'cause I've loved Trek for about 38 years now and I'm always keen on maximizing my in-game experience.

When I was last logged in, I had just commissioned and named a Mirror Universe Assault Cruiser, which I had won through at an SSR party. I held off on customizing the ship and trying it out until next time. Also last time, some really nice fella had invited me to his starbase and I got inadvertently trapped there (yet another bug I've been meaning to write about!). He felt so bad about it that he gave me 30 Nakura requisition boxes as compensation for my trapped woe. I had only opened one and was intent on digging into and sorting the others next time. Then yesterday, I had discovered that I can use the Type 6 material for my Armitage again, which prompted me to log in at the break of dawn and discover this problem we've been dealing with.

Now, I have no idea whatsoever when 'next time' in-game is gonna be. And I'm pretty frakkin' peeved at being unable to rectify this problem.

So yeah, I'm feeling some pain, sadly. Yet, at least now I've got some whiskey to ease that pain a wee bit. Much rather go back to being a drunken Admiral though!
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71

Last edited by methos71; 08-18-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Commander
# 143
08-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Something interesting that I just noticed: As of this writing, there have been 96 posts in this thread...and here's the important part...there have been 1698 views. I suspect that's fairly indicative of the fact that a whole lot more people have been suffering from this problem, than those who've been able to contribute to this discussion.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
methos71
Ensign
# 144
08-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Perhaps that somehow got screwed up with the last patch protocols? So, that players with files located at 'C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios' have been unable to get to the Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate? While players with files located at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios' have been able to patch and login properly?
Really hate to throw a monkey wrench into this theory, but all of my STO files are located in my Steam folder. When I tried to download the game and run it separately, it was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios and it still didn't work.
Commander
# 145
08-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirash1979 View Post
Really hate to throw a monkey wrench into this theory, but all of my STO files are located in my Steam folder. When I tried to download the game and run it separately, it was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios and it still didn't work.
Hmmm...and this gets more and more intriguing! Yet, I should clarify that my pal, whose files are also located at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios', has never used Steam in conjunction with STO. Nor have I.

Yet, per your post Kirash1979, it seems as though Steam users have also been effected by this bug.

On my end, being at wits end, I took the liberty of calling my Internet Service Provider's, Road Runner's, Technical Support line, to see if they might be able to shed some light on this conundrum.

Apparently, as of this writing, they have no widespread reports of STO/Cryptic/PWE players, who are also Road Runner subscribers, having any issues.

The gal I spoke to was thankfully neither condescending nor presumptuous. She attentively heard my full description of this problem and every detail of my attempts to resolve it.

Obviously, no resolution was found.

Pretty much think this, along with everything else in this thread, points to the ball being very firmly in your court PWEBranflakes!
methos71
Commander
# 146
08-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Wowwwwwwwwww!!!! So, I finally just took that seemingly ultimate last step, on the form list of possible solutions that PWE Tech Support sent me. I completely and utterly uninstalled STO. And then reinstalled it. Took about an hour, maybe a little more, to do so.

And guess what???!!!

Still dealing with the same frakkin' problem!!!!!!

Fix this nonsense already Dev people!!!!!!
methos71

Last edited by methos71; 08-19-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Career Officer
I've been experincing this problem last 24 hours, seems like maybe cryptic need a better host server as sound slike its going offline/getting a bit ill. Other internet apps fine, I play through steam login and other steam apps a-ok.

Damned annoying, I've paid for a life subscription and stuck in money on top of that, maybe we should get some compensation for those of us who have paid money! At the very least an extra month stipend of ZEN for the inconvience.
Career Officer
# 148
08-19-2012, 09:26 AM
[/quote] we should get some compensation for those of us who have paid money! At the very least an extra month stipend of ZEN for the inconvience.[/quote]

Here! Here! But at this point I would just about give anything just to be able to log in once more. I would give them 75 bucks to make this problem go away forever. lol CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING? HELP!!!!!!!!!
Career Officer
# 149
08-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Bannon3 Thanks for the support. Way I was looking at it though.

Is that its when companies have to PAYOUT money is when they do something about it.

If were unhappy with PWE service do they get audited by anyone we can complain to?
Career Officer
# 150
08-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralandy View Post
Bannon3 Thanks for the support. Way I was looking at it though.

Is that its when companies have to PAYOUT money is when they do something about it.

If were unhappy with PWE service do they get audited by anyone we can complain to?
Dont think so, you could dig through the Internet and try to find out how to contact them by phone they must have a line running into the place. I have not been able to log in consistently since May, so some compensation would be nice but I dont see it happening. They didnt even throw us a bone when the server used to crash every Sunday night for 5 or 6 hours, no cpoint stipend for the trouble. The only thing keeping me hanging on right now is the attention by branflakes, I even sent support an email telling them in so many words because you haven't answered me since Wednesday you are admitting you know nothing of this problem and how to fix it so we are done then. Sigh