Lieutenant
# 31
08-19-2012, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blargskull View Post
To end this on a positive note. The 200 shares of PWRD I purchased back in late January went up and close at 11.17 today. I am still kicking myself for not selling out back in March, but I suppose I can wait and see. At least my head is above water again... for now.
I keep asking myself, what kind of moron invests $2000+ in Perfect World stock? Then I look at my brother and say, oh yeah....

@designationxr377: Well if they do plan to use this as the editor for other games then they should get it working here. My opinion they need to use the preview as the object editor.

To explain; imagine you place a crate or console on the map. Now you enter 3D preview and use your character to move and adjust the object. This would be a lot easier than most people would think to program. I am a programmer by trade and have hammered out things such as this over a long weekend by myself.

From my experience, either the Cryptic team is either very small in numbers or not working on the Foundry at all. I personally have been at a point where I have too many projects on the desktop and not enough focus on what is the most important. I have found this makes all your projects suffer. Cryptic management can't be so weak or lack so much direction?

But that is how it "feels" I have no way to know this for sure.
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameriker View Post

To explain; imagine you place a crate or console on the map. Now you enter 3D preview and use your character to move and adjust the object. This would be a lot easier than most people would think to program. I am a programmer by trade and have hammered out things such as this over a long weekend by myself.
You just described Second Life But I agree with your other comment, I think the cryptic staff is quite small AND they're having to cover multiple games (STO, Champions, NWN). Honestly we can complain in this thread all we want, but what we REALLY need is someone from the team to explain WHY all these things are in the Foundry, especially if its just a matter of adding the asset code into the access list for it.
Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
Captain
# 33
08-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Just a note; plenty of professional programmers comment about how "easy" or "hard" it would be to do X in their experience. I don't doubt what they say. But, I have to ask, how much of that experience is within the Cryptic engine and how it is implemented in STO?

And if it is; Cryptic is hiring. If you think you can do better, for god's sake please do.
Lieutenant
# 34
08-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Ahh yes Crytpic is hiring....

The problem none of what it's hiring is for the foundry really is it? And let's face, since STO went Perfect World, it's been less about content and more about numbers. Spacedock space is surprising over croweded now.

It's a shame Atari used to be all about the games, now it's all about the mobile devices, hence why we're in the mess now. PW fail to see the potential profit machine they are sitting on with this franchise, and would rather play it safe with the model they know than take a new risk.

I'm predicting the Temporal Lockboxes next.
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Playing it safe is the best description of the video game industry right now ashe, why do you think we're seeing so many copy cats out there? Previous post mentioned stock price, and honestly that's where the execs of these companies are focused.
Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
Lieutenant
# 36
08-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Too true, too bloody true
Starfleet Veteran
# 37
08-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Facts are good. Lets deal in facts shall we?

Fact: all of what you are saying about Cryptic's motivation is speculation.
Fact: all of what you are saying about legal aspects is speculation.
Fact: most of what you are saying about the programming side of the game is speculation.
Fact: you have never seen the code for STO.
Fact: you do not know what Cryptic's developers are spending their time on.

Etc.

Given that this is beta version 0.8, it's pretty sweet. It is taking them longer than we would like to come out with features we've been asking for.

Fact: Cryptic is a for-profit business.
Fact: If Cryptic does not make a profit, there will likely not be a Star Trek Online.

Look at the fate of so many other games.

I am totally not surprised that their development priorities lie elsewhere than the foundry. Speculating about stuff you have no facts about is not constructive. Just keep posting feature ideas for the Foundry and doing what you can to promote your missions and get more players to play them.

My opinion is that if Cryptic were to see lots more regular players running Foundry missions other than Fed Quickie, they might think Foundry was a higher priority. Personally I think they should set special rewards for the best Foundry missions, based partially on how long the missions take. That would give people a reason to not do "Fed Quickie." Then you'd see a lot more people playing the good Foundry missions, which would in turn lead to more attention for the problems that are entailed in creating better ones.
Career Officer
# 38
08-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Regarding the "quickies" I'm wondering if having three foundry missions for the daily is too much. Even if a player wanted to play legitimate missions it could take an entire afternoon for "short" mission or even half a day if doing three extravagant ones.

Maybe cutting it down to one ugc mission per day with a 480 dilithium reward?
Lieutenant
# 39
08-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by designationxr377 View Post
Just a note; plenty of professional programmers comment about how "easy" or "hard" it would be to do X in their experience. I don't doubt what they say. But, I have to ask, how much of that experience is within the Cryptic engine and how it is implemented in STO?

And if it is; Cryptic is hiring. If you think you can do better, for god's sake please do.
I am working with an East coast business firmware company at the moment and don't have plans to move from my comfort zone. We don't make video games which is pretty good, because business software isn't so demanding. lol

But I have done my fair share of modding with games which I blame for landing me in this position. I did the "Tenpenny Stories" game mod a few year ago with my kid brother. Which got into some heavy programming for something that was just an idle lunch conversation. So I know I could "do better" it is just a matter of not working at Cryptic and I am sure they don't want me messing with the code just to prove my point. Do not attempt to mod this game you will get banned!

From what I am seeing and reading on this forum the focus of Cryptic is to get Neverwinter online next year and the Foundry working on it first and foremost. I just want the players to know that programming is fun and you need mad math skills to do it. So stay in school and learn the math. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot.
Rihannsu
# 40
08-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
Regarding the "quickies" I'm wondering if having three foundry missions for the daily is too much. Even if a player wanted to play legitimate missions it could take an entire afternoon for "short" mission or even half a day if doing three extravagant ones.

Maybe cutting it down to one ugc mission per day with a 480 dilithium reward?
Yeah really. I've published 3 missions so far. One of them (Treasure Hunt) has an estimated time to completion of 1.5 hours. I'm working on tweaking it to speed it up without cutting anything, but no one in their right mind would do 3 missions like that in one day. I WROTE Treasure Hunt and I wouldn't play it for the foundry daily!!! It IS fun, but quick? nuh uh.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.