Lieutenant
# 1 Are consoles stackable?
08-21-2012, 08:57 AM
I am unable to figure out if there is a benefit to having multiple consoles of the same type, e.g., 2 phaser relays. I get 22.5% boost from one, does having two double that, or am I wasting a slot? If they are stackable, what do you STO geniuses like to install?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizork View Post
I am unable to figure out if there is a benefit to having multiple consoles of the same type, e.g., 2 phaser relays. I get 22.5% boost from one, does having two double that, or am I wasting a slot? If they are stackable, what do you STO geniuses like to install?
My understanding is that consoles are stackable, but are subject to diminishing returns. This means if you have a 20% console already in place, a second console would only net you 10% and a third would net you 5% and so on.

If I am wrong, can somebody please correct me?
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
08-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Only some consoles have diminishing returns. Damage based consoles do not have diminishing returns.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottsey5g View Post
Only some consoles have diminishing returns. Damage based consoles do not have diminishing returns.
Good to know. Ty
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-21-2012, 09:52 AM
So consoles that reduce damage taken like hull plating do they fall under that "damage" based consoles net or do they fall outside of it? I assume they fall out of it since its not increasing damage but increasing damage resistance.
Empire Veteran
# 6
08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Armor consoles, such as Neutronium Alloy do have a diminishing return.

Say a Mk XI blue one, gives like 16% or so to all damage resistance. So the first one will give you that 16%, no problem, but each one after that will provide less and less.

As an example, with full points into armor reinforcements and hull plating, with four of those Neutroniums, will give you roughly 45% damage resistance across the board, which is rather one tough nut to crack.

Career Officer
# 7
08-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I was wondering about this myself.

Thanks for posting, and thanks to all for answers.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Armor consoles, such as Neutronium Alloy do have a diminishing return.

Say a Mk XI blue one, gives like 16% or so to all damage resistance. So the first one will give you that 16%, no problem, but each one after that will provide less and less.

As an example, with full points into armor reinforcements and hull plating, with four of those Neutroniums, will give you roughly 45% damage resistance across the board, which is rather one tough nut to crack.
So damn I guess I should have put more than just 3 into the Hull Plating skill.
Lieutenant
# 9
08-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted74 View Post
Good to know. Ty
So weapons consoles like Phaser Relay and Zero Point chamber are additive? And shield Field Emitters are not?
Captain
# 10
08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
The benefits of consoles stack.

For engineering and science consoles, they have diminishing returns (1st is what it shows, 2nd is half, 3rd is one fourth, so on).
For tactical consoles it stacks without diminishing returns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.