Republic Veteran
# 41
08-19-2012, 10:46 AM
I for one would love to see a biff to transphasics! They are a cool little torpedo, but Voyager powerful?

Voyager wiped out cubes with a few torpedo's, but my power would be nice. It really has nothing to make up for its low damage. Chronitons at least have the snare and they still do more damage.

Maybe give transphasics a modifier...the pierce so much shields and if there is no shields when they hit the do bonus damage perhaps? Might make up for the lack of damage but not make them to powerful?
Captain
# 42
08-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flekh View Post
By scraping that idea.
The Vo'quv is so sluggy that you can't even reliably broadside - how are you supposed to get anything in your torp arcs? Within 5 minutes, and without drifitng out of range half a dozen times, that is.
Also ... BoPs already carry all the torpedo goodness there is, once shields are down they finish off anything within seconds - shield stripping though is your job ..... WAAAAAAAAAIT ... you're joking, right?
'Can't do that on the internet, people could think you're serious!
(If you actually were serious: see answer above, and know that I'm trying for a triple facepalm just in case.)
Actually, one Aux2ID serves that purpose just fine, especially in conjunction with conn doffs and my innate APA1, as well as my triple RCS (planning on trying out an extra RCS once T5 starbases hit) accelerators, but I'm completely lost weapon-wise... not a clue as to what to use, or even HOW to use it. Current build is scraping together the best I can find from marks 10 to 12, with the following torpedoes (no torp buff consoles yet):

Fore: Plasma (STF 11? not sure) Quantum (STF 12, pretty sure it was that) Hargh'peng (purple 11)

Aft: Transphasic (STF 10-12) Quantum (presumably STF gear, but not sure) Hargh'peng (blue 11). No C-Store consoles, though at this rate I might get one (doing just beautifully on getting zen with the recent market crash)

Edit: Also, I don't have the epicly built B'rolths yet (quantum HY2 compared to photon HY1, sounds beautiful) and I don't plan to, not unless the fleet hangars turn out to be a gigantic disappointment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Career Officer
# 43
08-20-2012, 08:07 PM
See people in various forums encouraging quantums over everything else lately.
Here's my Photon build, still say it tops Quantums:
http://www.theflameimperishable.com/..._10_04_26.jpeg

Your Photon Torpedo deals 12754 (9250) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Sphere.
So what is everyone else hitting with?
Tieberion, Captain of the USS Excalibur NX-97000-B

www.ADFleet.org
Starfleet Veteran
# 44
08-21-2012, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tieberione View Post

It depends with your build if you are timing your torpedoes for when shields are down quantum?s would work better. But with your build and leaving torpedoes blind auto firing Photons are better over quantum?s. Although for blind firing I would argue Transphasic would beat out Photons.
Career Officer
# 45
08-21-2012, 10:44 AM
With my current build i can one shot/bring most stuff to under 25% in PVE with a beam pass and a turn in to fire the photons onto the hull with HYII. Even the Spread over a large group hits the shields pretty hard.

There's alot of cookie cutter builds you can make, but with doff's, BO's, and the different ships, classes, and weapons it gives people a good choice and variety, and lets you play how you like to, thats one of the main things I enjoy. Looking at the Fleet Intrepid...Now thats a sweet little ship for some quantums on.
Tieberion, Captain of the USS Excalibur NX-97000-B

www.ADFleet.org
Rihannsu
# 46
08-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tieberione View Post

Eh, 9k dmg with a photon isnt that great, with tac buffs i hit 28k crits after armor. With reg non buffed torps i can hit 8-12k consistantly. And i dont even run torpedo consoles....

Im assuming that the transphasic boat is running all torpedo consoles and still only managing 14k through shield, most people would hit engineering team and keep on strolling. You hit someone with a double backed HYT3 full tac buffed quatum chain shields or no they will feel it hard.

8 torpedos hitting for 12-28k back to back toss in a BO2 and their shields and hull are toast. Throw on some quantum consoles and youd really see some dmg. And to the person who said BO3 + HYT quantums is for trash.... what are you smoking... Ive seen BO3 1 shot people in pvp from full health, ive done it and had it done to me, time that with quantum burst and it screws a person hard and fast with no lube.

Is quantums the only build? duh no. There is no real best when it comes to a persons playstyle but are quantums better then transphasics yes. Transphasics need a boost to dmg or torpedo speed as they are slow with long cooldown and med dmg.

Plasma torp dots need to stack atm that reduces their effectiveness a good bit, what good is a bunch of plasma dots that dont stack and dont reset cooldown on dot. Tricobalts can be wickedly awesome but are extreamly situational.

Also just cause you time a HYT when shields are down doesnt mean that launcher has done no dmg up till then i leave mine on auto and just hit HYT when there is a great opening.
Ensign
# 47
08-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
Yes, this is particularly handy if your build involves Tricobalts or Hargh'pengs. The former can get a DRASTIC boost if run alongside photons and a group of projectile doffs, the latter gets a neat kick out of ANY torpedo with projectile doffs.

Edit: For example, in the atypical scenario that all 3 trigger, you'll get at least 25% of your cooldown shaved off on a tricobalt. 2 triggering may also have that effect, and 1 trigger will cut out a neat amount too. *doesn't know the exact numbers, hence the massive lack of precision*
Possible off topic, but important to me so I ask this....I thought the BOFF abilities didn't do anything to the System Cooldown caused by the use of a Hargh'peng Torpedo. It would be amazing if it does work, but I had the projectile BoFF's in active duty and it had no effect. I would love to be wrong! As it stands if you fire one of them off you have to wait 15 seconds before using another one from a different tube. I have one fore and one aft because of this reason since I am broadsiding anyways and a small turn lets me fire either one that is ready.
IMHO H'P torpedoes trump all others for cruiser tanks(in PvE) . Moves the fastest of all of them, initial hit is an AE about as strong as a normal photon, then a DoT like a Plasma Torp (directly to hull), and then another AE at the end of the DoT duration. Also the Plasma DoT is stackable so you can have more than one person using it and the effects stack.

Last edited by julissa2; 08-21-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Captain
# 48
08-21-2012, 01:13 PM
I can't remember the name of the person who uses only torpedoes by the time I got over to the reply.

Ok, we aren't even in the same galaxy with this. Torpedo only users are completely different from energy weapon users. You can pump all you power into the torpedoes, while the rest of us push the power into energy weapons. So transphasics may be powerful for you, but that's because you are probably using as many consoles for it as possible. And I don't understand how you can be not good with energy weapons, did you not put consoles for the energy type when you tried it out? Feel free to PM or send me mail in game at any time, I'd like to exmine your build more. I've never met anyone else who only uses torpedoes, this should be very interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Captain
# 49
08-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by julissa2 View Post
Possible off topic, but important to me so I ask this....I thought the BOFF abilities didn't do anything to the System Cooldown caused by the use of a Hargh'peng Torpedo. It would be amazing if it does work, but I had the projectile BoFF's in active duty and it had no effect. I would love to be wrong! As it stands if you fire one of them off you have to wait 15 seconds before using another one from a different tube. I have one fore and one aft because of this reason since I am broadsiding anyways and a small turn lets me fire either one that is ready.
IMHO H'P torpedoes trump all others for cruiser tanks(in PvE) . Moves the fastest of all of them, initial hit is an AE about as strong as a normal photon, then a DoT like a Plasma Torp (directly to hull), and then another AE at the end of the DoT duration. Also the Plasma DoT is stackable so you can have more than one person using it and the effects stack.
I'm fairly certain they're affected. I'd have to run a more detailed investigation of the issue though, as my memory is a bit spotty and I don't really monitor my firing delays, but... I think they are. Still, they'd suck in a build with all Hargh'pengs, just like in a build with all tricobalts, due to the fact that you'd have a lot less proc chances, and by extension a lot less procs to benefit from. I suggest combining slow-firing torpedoes with rapid-firing ones. I suspect one good example would be combining the slow transphasic torpedo with the more rapid photon.

Quote:
I can't remember the name of the person who uses only torpedoes by the time I got over to the reply.

Ok, we aren't even in the same galaxy with this. Torpedo only users are completely different from energy weapon users. You can pump all you power into the torpedoes, while the rest of us push the power into energy weapons. So transphasics may be powerful for you, but that's because you are probably using as many consoles for it as possible. And I don't understand how you can be not good with energy weapons, did you not put consoles for the energy type when you tried it out? Feel free to PM or send me mail in game at any time, I'd like to exmine your build more. I've never met anyone else who only uses torpedoes, this should be very interesting.
Were you referring to me, or did somebody else also bring up a torp-only ship?

Also, I never said my transphasics were powerful. In fact, my build can hardly even be called competent, as I'm running practically on salvaged gear from lower levels and killed ships. Besides, I only have one transphasic rear, using a plasma in its place for my forward arc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Starfleet Veteran
# 50
08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoney3448 View Post
Im assuming that the transphasic boat is running all torpedo consoles and still only managing 14k through shield, most people would hit engineering team and keep on strolling. You hit someone with a double backed HYT3 full tac buffed quatum chain shields or no they will feel it hard..
Engineering team has a cooldown. Sure you might heal the first volley but the damage does not stop while waiting for Engineering team to cycle again. What about the 2nd, though 15th volley while Eng team is on cooldown? I do over 2k to hull per shot, not per volly. I am not saying it cannot be healed but its not as easy as you make out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoney3448 View Post
8 torpedos hitting for 12-28k back to back toss in a BO2 and their shields and hull are toast. Throw on some quantum consoles and youd really see some dmg. And to the person who said BO3 + HYT quantums is for trash.... what are you smoking... Ive seen BO3 1 shot people in pvp from full health, ive done it and had it done to me, time that with quantum burst and it screws a person hard and fast with no lube.
Almost every single time I have tried that or someone tried it on me it has failed. All you have to do is hit tac team or balance shields and the HTY fails. Anyway BO rarely takes down shields unless it's a crit and sometimes not even then. I have seen it work against some of the smaller ships but not in a reliably constant manner.

Quote:

I too do not understand how I cannot be good with energy weapons. I used purple mk XI, x3 28% damage consoles, 125 weapon power and have such lower DPS I can barely take someone's shields down no matter what combo of weapon of BO skill I used. What's your @name so I can PM in you game?

Last edited by pottsey5g; 08-21-2012 at 02:28 PM.