Banned
# 11
08-20-2012, 09:16 PM
I doubt romulan ale is banned in the KDF, why can't we buy it
Lt. Commander
# 12 we all agree
08-21-2012, 08:12 AM
most of the projects offered have a payout that does not come remotely close to the associated expenses.

200k dilithium for a blurry starscape
200k for plants and columns w/ newsfeeds rotating in such a way as to be unreadable
(most of us read left to right)
200k for tribbles (I drew the line here)

250 ales and rotguts for a bar that offers nothing special is ludicrous.

I spent about 12 million on purple doffs on the exchange and cashed in some of my mission reward doffs to get those three contacts on my starbase. Do they offer anything special? No, not really.

We all see plainly these are bad, the question should be why is Cryptic doing this to us?
In a game where we are starving for something to personalize/customize/call our own they are giving us all the same choices at astronomical prices. We keep funding these projects in the hope that somehow, someday they will start magically being a smart investment. Maybe out of the goodness of the devs' hearts they will offer something they don't yet. We are investing in hopes and dreams.

I have to grind every time I log in now, just for the privilege of buying hope.
I've been holding my real life money tight to see where this was going. I see $7 EV suits, $30 ships etc. and I clutch even tighter. Suit is worth .50 and the ships are worth $3 maybe. You don't want to sell them at fair price though do you? Scarcity is license to gouge. You make me sad.
Community Moderator
# 13
08-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxgamer View Post
We keep funding these projects in the hope that somehow, someday they will start magically being a smart investment.
We don't; we keep funding them because it provides another point of focus for the fleet, one that gives a broader cross-section of the membership something to do than some of the other options have. The only payoff we expect is that as the base grows in services it offers, it will be even more of a focus for the fleet socially.

If it's just about "moar points is moar points", why play an MMO at all?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
08-21-2012, 01:11 PM
The Targs were worth it

Can't see much use in the tribbles
Rihannsu
# 15
08-21-2012, 01:15 PM
The requirements are pretty insane for this one and you dont get much in return. Its pretty hard for big fleets, but for small fleets it will really shut down their progress for ages.

it would be fine if there was a place that sells them somewhere (which will now be the best option) or just reduce down the requirements to something more practical like 25 each.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 16
08-21-2012, 01:30 PM
We actually took a vote on this one. About half the fleet thought it would be 'nice to have'. So we are saving up the 'ingredients' first before we start it. Leaders really need to start paying attention to what the requirements of these projects are before just blindly putting them into the que. Especially since there is currently no way to remove a project that is already in the que (unless you have another project to change it to).
# 17
08-21-2012, 01:34 PM
a brief check reveals among my alts

15 romulan ale and 6 rotgut (and there are over 30 of me)
Lt. Commander
# 18 This is where I find myself.
08-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
We don't; we keep funding them because it provides another point of focus for the fleet, one that gives a broader cross-section of the membership something to do than some of the other options have. The only payoff we expect is that as the base grows in services it offers, it will be even more of a focus for the fleet socially.

If it's just about "moar points is moar points", why play an MMO at all?

You say you're doing this project for the sake of maintaining busywork for your fleet?

Why would you suggest your fleet members utilize a bar that doesn't allow you to vendor loot at the better than replicator rates? I don't have a bar yet, but this was what was mentioned in this thread earlier. Yes, a bar would be quite nice to have but not at reduced functionality versus the bars on Earth. It needs to be special, superior to what comes for free. All of these projects need to be superior given the inputs demanded to create them. In fact, we should be allowed to create new items as fleet specialties.

The ships also, we should be allowed to make design tweaks for the prices. I'm pretty sure even EVE lets player organizations do that. There should be a point system where we can pick how many weapons/consoles/bo slots are on our ships at a price of hull or speed etc. A formula within which we could have some fun. As it is we must spend a fortune in materials AND real life money for a flat one extra console, a bit more hull.

I want imagination, awe, mysteries of space and the trials and joys of colonizing it -- not to play a sucker. If all the base is happens to be a glorified (cookie-cutter) conference room where you can spend the extra rl money for the ship console, I do need to stop.
Career Officer
# 19
08-21-2012, 05:42 PM
i bet the bastard wont even sell those when you finally do open him up.
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
08-21-2012, 06:01 PM
I have fear...

A special project with an orion dancer can be set with an insane price like 500 purple bartender...
PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?