Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Caitian Mane
08-19-2012, 09:07 PM
You know that Caitian, M'Ress? The comms relief officer?

Give us the hair! All we have is basic fur, and for more, we have to purchase a Ferasan!

On a side note, I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be the same race, because Caitian homeworld is Ferasa.
Commander
# 2
08-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I so want that mane. It's so much prettier than the current styles (and fits more in line with the "they look like lions" thing).

And the STO Caitians don't line up with other Caitians in the Star Trek Universe. They made Cait and Ferasa two different planets. It bugs me too, but it's their game; they can do whatever they want.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Rihannsu
# 3
08-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I like to think of "Ferasa" as the homeworld the Caitians were exiled from, and "Cait" is their new adopted world.

But regardless. This would be awesome and instantly adorn the heads of all my Caitians. It's just a shame we're not likely to get it since we probably would have by now...
Commander
# 4
08-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssargon View Post
I like to think of "Ferasa" as the homeworld the Caitians were exiled from, and "Cait" is their new adopted world.
Hey, that actually makes sense! This explanation works for me.
Career Officer
# 5
08-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergaminggeek View Post
You know that Caitian, M'Ress? The comms relief officer?

Give us the hair! All we have is basic fur, and for more, we have to purchase a Ferasan!

On a side note, I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be the same race, because Caitian homeworld is Ferasa.
Oh man, I would so love for them to finally put in a true Trek hairstyle like this for Caitians.

Heck, make it a Z-store item if that's what is takes to justify spending the development time on an iconic hair type. I'm sure it would make a ton of money.
My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371
Empire Veteran
# 6
08-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhunter1 View Post
Oh man, I would so love for them to finally put in a true Trek hairstyle like this for Caitians.

Heck, make it a Z-store item if that's what is takes to justify spending the development time on an iconic hair type. I'm sure it would make a ton of money.
This right here.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Captain
# 7
08-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Quote:

Thirded. .....
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 8
08-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velktra View Post
I so want that mane. It's so much prettier than the current styles (and fits more in line with the "they look like lions" thing).
I think the original intent in the Animated Series was to make Caitians humanoid 'cat' people, not lions. If you look closely at the animation, M'Ress' tresses are actually hair, not a mane. Which would make sense as only male lions have manes.

Regardless, the picture above is an excellent example of a female 'mane' compromise - not too hair-like, but certainly not a male style either.
My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371
Commander
# 9
08-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Quote:
I think the original intent in the Animated Series was to make Caitians humanoid 'cat' people, not lions. If you look closely at the animation, M'Ress' tresses are actually hair, not a mane. Which would make sense as only male lions have manes.

Regardless, the picture above is an excellent example of a female 'mane' compromise - not too hair-like, but certainly not a male style either.
"They look like lions" is how I always describe them to people who've never heard of Caitians. I know it's not a real mane, but I've always called it one. "Mane" is another word people use for "long hair" anyway.
Career Officer
# 10
08-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velktra View Post
"They look like lions" is how I always describe them to people who've never heard of Caitians. I know it's not a real mane, but I've always called it one. "Mane" is another word people use for "long hair" anyway.
Ha! True.

I'm not sure what happened to the dev who originally drew up the Caitians for STO. If I recall correctly they said the hair designs (including an M'Ress type) were going to follow shortly after the release of the race. And that was quite some time ago.

I understand priorities shift and people leave for other jobs so maybe that dev isn't around any more, but as I said above, make this a Z-store item if need be - make the players and the investors happy at the same time.