Lt. Commander
# 1 Improving Sector Space Speed
08-21-2012, 07:40 AM
I am looking at ways to improve my sector space speed to give me a better shot during Tour the Universe. So far the following is what I have tried below.

Borg Engines
Maco Engines
Omega Engines

The Maco engines provides higher warp speed than Borg and Omega. The Omega cuts my Slip Stream Drive down from 2 minutes to just 1 minute cool down. The Borg engines were about the same level as the Omega but without the slip stream drive cool down reduction.

Currently my driver coils are 6 out of 9 (wish I would have not maxed out batteries and maxed out driver coils instead).

Using my NX as a test bed (I dont use her for any combat anymore so plan on using her for Tour the Universe) I compared her speeds to my Galaxy class. My Galaxy class with slipstream mode enabled with Maco Mk XI impulse engines I was able to obtain a Transwarp speed of 29.15. Which is not bad I was able to do Tour the Universe almost 3 complete times. My NX how ever was granted Raiding Party by a friendly guy in game and with the Maco Mk XI engines with transwarp she was moving in sector space at Transwarp 34.16. I like this speed but the next day when I logged in to do some training and see if I could cut my tour down from 20 minutes to maybe 19 or 18 minutes I noticed the Raiding Party trait was gone.

So now my question is what can I do that will improve my warp speed in sector space that will not just disappear after I log out for the night?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
08-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Can't find my archived post, but the math's fairly straightforward. Here's the breakdown:

Base warp speed:
Borg: 14
MACO: 12
Everything else: 10
Slipstream: 20

Driver coils is a (skill/2)% increase, but can't break the warp 10 barrier with most engines. At 9/9 you have 99 skill, or a 49.5% increase to warp speed. MACO engines have a boost to driver coils, 8.8 on the mk XIIs. So now the base speeds (MACO assumed to be mk XII):

Borg: 20.93
MACO: 18.47
Other engines: 10
Slipstream: 29.9
Slipstream with MACO: 30.78

Ok, figuring average speeds, you have to consider how often you slipstream. Slipstream lasts 30 seconds (60 on the Odyssey), and starts a 2 minute cooldown at the end. OMEGA engines drop the cooldown to 1 minute.
So, our averages (9/9 driver coils, MACO again assumed XII, also assuming you can manage perfect uptime on slipstream).

Non-Odyssey ships:
Borg: 22.724
MACO: 20.93
Omega: 16.633
Everything else: 13.98

Odyssey
Borg: 23.92
MACO: 22.573
Omega: 19.95
Other: 16.633

So, basically, your best bet is an Odyssey with Borg engines.

Diplomatic Immunity and Raiding Party are tempoary buffs that you have to get from somebody else - even if you have tier 3 diplomacy/marauding, you can't give yourself the buff, only other people. You can still enter enemy sectors, but don't get the warp speed buff.

They go away after time, or if you leave sector space. Their current form according to tooltips is a +50 buff to driver coils, bringing us to 149/2= 74.5%. With this, our speeds are (same assumptions as above, note omega and other engines are still capped at 10, but you do enjoy the buff to slipstream):

Non-Oddy:
Borg: 24.43, Slipstream 34.9, average 26.524
MACO: 21.468, 35.78, average 24.1544
Omega: 10, 34.9, average 18.3
Other: 10, 34.9, average 14.98

Oddy:
Borg: 24.43, Slipstream 34.9, average 27.92
MACO: 21.468, 35.78, average 26.238
Omega: 10, 34.9, average 22.45
Other: 10, 34.9, average 18.3

Last edited by hevach; 08-21-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Rihannsu
# 3
08-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Also, Borg engines are relatively easy to get compared to Omega and MACO. 5 EDCs is easy enough to accomplish by grinding STFs for a few hours.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Can't find my archived post, but the math's fairly straightforward. Here's the breakdown:

Base warp speed:
Borg: 14
MACO: 12
Everything else: 10
Slipstream: 20

Driver coils is a (skill/2)% increase, but can't break the warp 10 barrier with most engines. At 9/9 you have 99 skill, or a 49.5% increase to warp speed. MACO engines have a boost to driver coils, 8.8 on the mk XIIs. So now the base speeds (MACO assumed to be mk XII):

MACO: 18.47
Other engines: 10
Slipstream: 29.9
Slipstream with MACO: 30.78

Ok, figuring average speeds, you have to consider how often you slipstream. Slipstream lasts 30 seconds (60 on the Odyssey), and starts a 2 minute cooldown at the end. OMEGA engines drop the cooldown to 1 minute.
So, our averages (9/9 driver coils, MACO again assumed XII, also assuming you can manage perfect uptime on slipstream).

Non-Odyssey ships:
Borg: 22.724
MACO: 20.93
Omega: 16.633
Everything else: 13.98

Odyssey
Borg: 23.92
MACO: 22.573
Omega: 19.95
Other: 16.633

So, basically, your best bet is an Odyssey with Borg engines.

Diplomatic Immunity and Raiding Party are tempoary buffs that you have to get from somebody else - even if you have tier 3 diplomacy/marauding, you can't give yourself the buff, only other people. You can still enter enemy sectors, but don't get the warp speed buff.

They go away after time, or if you leave sector space. Their current form according to tooltips is a +50 buff to driver coils, bringing us to 149/2= 74.5%. With this, our speeds are (same assumptions as above, note omega and other engines are still capped at 10, but you do enjoy the buff to slipstream):

Non-Oddy:
Borg: 24.43, Slipstream 34.9, average 26.524
MACO: 21.468, 35.78, average 24.1544
Omega: 10, 34.9, average 18.3
Other: 10, 34.9, average 14.98

Oddy:
Borg: 24.43, Slipstream 34.9, average 27.92
MACO: 21.468, 35.78, average 26.238
Omega: 10, 34.9, average 22.45
Other: 10, 34.9, average 18.3
Ok, I will have to get the borg engines from my Excelsior to try them out. But heres the run down without any buffs on my NX that Im building as a "racer". I thought of using the Odyssey cause mine doesnt have a count down when I enter transwarp I think the 2 year anniversary one has no limit but still has a 2 minute cool down.

MACO Mk XI impulse engines
w/o Slip Stream = Transwarp 17.53
w/ Slip Stream = Transwarp 29.21

Omega Mk XI impulse engines
w/o Slip Stream = Transwarp 10.0
w/ Slip Stream = Transwarp 28.40

Borg Impulse Engines
w/o Slip Stream = Transwarp 19.88
w/ Slip Stream = Transwarp 28.40

Based off these two side by side comparison the Maco gives me faster speed without Slip Stream but the Omega gives me a quicker cool down but that might not be a benefit since I only use Slip Stream on long straight runs. The Borg Impulse engines gives me a faster transwarp speed without Slip Stream enabled than the MACO Mk XI impulse engines but the same Slip Stream speed as the Omega Mk XI Impulse engines.

Well I tested my Galaxy class ship again and it seems to have the same results as my NX. When I was messing with it yesterday the Galaxy class had higher speed`s than the NX with the same engines.

~Update~

Ok I did a dry run with the Odyssey with the Borg engines, slip stream does only last 1 min on mine also dont know why theres no count down timer. I was how ever able to get the whole circuit done in 19 minutes and 10 seconds. Better than 20 minutes I was doing with my Galaxy. But the 20 minutes I did in my galaxy was with Mk X MACO impulse engines I think I will use the galaxy again at 8pm tonight for the first Tour the Universe and see if the MACO Mk XI impulse engines will shave some time off then ill use the Odyssey on the next one.

Last edited by milner62; 08-21-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Captain
# 5
08-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Put the Borg engine on my ENG Raptor last night (with Borg console, AEGIS Def, KHG shields) and got some surprising numbers:

AEGIS w/o Slip Stream: 10.0
Slipstream: 28.3

Slipstream is almost a non-factor now in the race on my ship, but the turn rate is absolutely terrible with the Borg engine- it takes almost a sector width to make a u-turn @ full speed, the AEGIS engine turns almost 4 times faster than the borg engine (both @ 1/3 power).
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
08-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Slipstream is almost a non-factor now in the race on my ship, but the turn rate is absolutely terrible with the Borg engine- it takes almost a sector width to make a u-turn @ full speed, the AEGIS engine turns almost 4 times faster than the borg engine (both @ 1/3 power).
You will have a wider turning arc at full speed no matter what engine you are using. You will have a very tight turning arc at quarter-speed, but will turn the fastest at about half speed. The Borg Engine has a bonus to turn speed - perhaps not the best, but it's nice. Also make sure you aren't using quantum slipsteam when you try to make a turn. Using slipstream reduces your turn rate dramatically.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
08-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milner62 View Post
So now my question is what can I do that will improve my warp speed in sector space that will not just disappear after I log out for the night?
Slotting an Astrometrics Scientist duty officer in active space duty will lower your recharge time on transwarp. Very Rare (purple) +200% Cooldown Rate; Rare (blue) +150% Cooldown Rate

Although not 'permanent', Diplomatic Immunity and Raiding Party buffs stack, so they are well worth the effort and kindness of other players. Usually about 15-20 minutes before the tour starts, folks head to Wolf 359 and trade DI and RP, so it's worth it to plan ahead and watch zone chat for which instance. Also worth noting, countdown on DI and RP does not happen when you're on a ground map, so you can get the buffs early and beam down to ESD or SFA, or before you log out the day before, and they will be there for you when you transport back to the ship.

Another temporary buff is to do the Engineering Duty Officer assignment "Perform Antimatter Containment Leak Drills", which buffs your driver coil skill on a critical success. It's a personal assignment - will be on the personal tab or under the Engineering Department Head list. There are other engineering DOff assignments that will buff various things like warp core potential & efficiency on critical success, just read the descriptions to evaluate whether they'd be useful for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vice Admiral Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.